Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 Years of the SNES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I love the SNES
    First time I had one with approx 90+ games, cib, got an awful lot of playing out of it....
    Traded it in for a PSX and a few games, when Sony's awesome machine arrived in UK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Parents Upset Over New Nintendo Console - Super Nintendo - Circa 1991

My favorite console as well. Happy Anniversary!
    Great video.

While I love the SNES and played a ton of it during its release time, I'll have to admit that the games were just too damn expensive. It definitely was the era of weekend game rentals rather than monthly game purchases. Superb games though, including my all time favorite game, Illusion of Gaia.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 09-11-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Great system. I was so impressed with it that I chose it as my "Christmas" gift in 1992, and essentially gave up on my Genesis, which I'd had for about a year and a half. 2D gaming at its best.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Oh yeah! One more note: Super Mario World is probably one of my favorite games of all time, and it is arguably the best Mario game.
    Super Mario World is in my top game for the SNES for sure.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Here's an old ad I found with an actor you might recognize!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mVmFq4sc4k
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I loved my NES in 1991 but I distinctly remember going to Toy's R Us around the time the SNES came out. It was more expensie than the Genesis and Sonic had just come out. I remember trying to make up my mind right there in the store which system to buy. Mind you I was about 10 years old with not much money. I chose the Genesis because it was a bit cheaper and Sonic seemed so new and cool.

I didnt get a SNES until 1996. Of course it is a great system. I wish I had the money for both the Genny and SNES in 1991. Though the Sonic series kept me a loyal Genesis player from 1991-1994.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jwmollman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES is my favorite console of all time. I remember being a kid in the mid 90s playing in the basement family room for hours and hours with my older sisters, or my cousin would come over and we'd have a blast with the Donkey Kong Country series. So many memories.

I'm glad these systems still run. I was always curious, though, does anyone know if the systems will ever die from age? I hear something about capacitor rot? (I'm not too sure on that subject.) I hope my SNES doesn't give out one day, and I'm not too good with repairing circuit boards, so I wouldn't be able to fix it if something ever were to happen.
    Last edited by jwmollman; 10-09-2011 at 02:47 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Here's an old ad I found with an actor you might recognize!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mVmFq4sc4k
    I got a kick out of this.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

just keep the cart contacts clean on games and your snes should last forever a super nes cleaning kit used once every 5 or 10 years could help too, and make sure the snes is never dropped, thrown or beaten around too much or left in direct sunlight for too long, or anywhere where it would get really dirty. maybe also dont leave it powered on for super long periods of time and also dont have it plugged into the wall power for months on end.

snes is one of the most reliable systems ever. n64 too.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

oops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have good memories of the Snes too,i remember walking into a local store that imported consoles and i saw a US Snes running Super Ghouls`n Ghosts and my jaw dropped,it was level 2 the ship graveyard and i was amazed - it just looked so cool.
    It did take a while but i did get my own uk machine eventually with F-Zero,Mario Kart and i did get my own copy of Super Ghouls `n Ghosts

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my SNES used at Funcoland in 1997(still have it). I went the NES route in 1988 and then Genesis in 1992. But what's scary is that I remember the SNES launching and now that was 20 years ago! I never could get into the system but I remember friends who had it early on in 1991 and 1992 and just thinking that some of the games on it were so cool. Some of those memories, even though I didn't own one at launch are like the ultimate gaming nostalgia moments in my mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought mine in late August of 1991 and I still play 2 of my fav. games of all time Super Mario World & Zelda - Link To The Past. The best 16-bit system of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES had a higher number of "great games" over the Genesis but the Genesis library as a whole is better overall than the SNES one. Alot of good games even though there is a lack of great ones.

I had more fun with the Genesis but the SNES had some truly special games on it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will never forget the good times I had during this era of gaming, playing all of these great games at eight and nine years old. It's enough to bring a tear to my eye.

Later on, my family sold the SNES to get the new N64, which I enjoyed but never quite as much.

Fast forward to three years ago, when my Xbox360 RROD for the third time, and while waiting I found a SNES for cheap at a local pawn shop.

I have never looked back!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my SNES for Christmas of 1993 along with Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars, I had wanted the SNES for a few months prior and even sold my NES and all it's games to the flea market in anticipation of getting the SNES. I greatly enjoyed the time I had with the SNES but I wouldn't call it my favorite system ever, though It's in the top 5 or 6, I just didn't connect with it like I did with systems like the NES, Atari 2600, or even the 3DO (yeah). Still, certain games for the SNES have touched me deeply and I'm glad to have had the fun experiences with it that I did, I may even fire it up for the first time in a few years this upcoming weekend if I can find the time.

I'll always remember games like Super Mario World, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Saturday Night Slam Masters, WWF Royal Rumble, Breath of Fire 1 & 2, as well as other classics and fun games I've enjoyed on the system. It was a true gem.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!