Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SNES blank screen?

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Do you have an N64? If so, you can test the cord you got from Amazon on it. That would narrow the problem down. The two systems use the same cord.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately I don't. But i must ask what does the power cord (I'm assuming that's the cord you where talking about as I bought an RCA as well) have to do with the image not showing up?

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Syzergy11 View Post
    Unfortunately I don't. But i must ask what does the power cord (I'm assuming that's the cord you where talking about as I bought an RCA as well) have to do with the image not showing up?
    Well since it's a cheap knock off, it may not be providing enough power to the system, best way to check that is a multimeter. I still think it's something in the system itself since it's been in the basement for so long.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was actually talking about the RCA cord. I'm not sure if N64 and SNES have the same power cords, but the A/V cords are interchangeable.

By the way, I went to my setup and turned the SNES on without a game and got a flicker and a blank screen like you did. Everything seems to be pointing to your system not sensing the cartridge.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    I was actually talking about the RCA cord. I'm not sure if N64 and SNES have the same power cords, but the A/V cords are interchangeable.

By the way, I went to my setup and turned the SNES on without a game and got a flicker and a blank screen like you did. Everything seems to be pointing to your system not sensing the cartridge.
    As I said earlier. And I have a cheap knockoff RCA cables and Nintendo official cables. Both do the same thing. Also I will check the power cable but im fairly certain that's not the issue.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find it odd that you don't at least get garbled graphics and sound. Check the cartridge slot pins for rust and if present clean with an emery board. If they look good, then you'll likely have to open her up with a 4.5mm gamebit and check for cracked solder joints and rust. Be sure to use a magnifying glass and to have lots of light. I suspect the problem is somewhere between the cartridge slot and the lockout chip (labeled F411, F411A, or F411B). Also be sure to check for bulging or leaking capacitors using this as a reference if needed.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ordered a set of gamebit screwdrivers earlier today. I'll have an update and maybe some pics in a few days when I get them. I also checked for rust and it seems clean from what I saw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

As I said earlier. And I have a cheap knockoff RCA cables and Nintendo official cables.
    Sorry about that, I should have read your original post more carefully. Good luck with the repair.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

try another power supply. i had that problem with mine, it would intermittently work and eventually didnt at all. i swapped it with another one and works every time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    try another power supply. i had that problem with mine, it would intermittently work and eventually didnt at all. i swapped it with another one and works every time.
    Unfortunately I don't have another one and I don't want to order another but will as a last resort. I should be getting my gamebit either tomorrow or Wednesday and before I start opening up my SNES would anyone please post a guide on how to properly open and diagnose a SNES? Would be greatly appreciated.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dis-assembly is pretty easy.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE:
    Unplug the SNES, then turn the power switch to the "On" position. The SNES stores some electricity internally after it is turned off, possibly for a long time. If you don't discharge this energy before you open it up you can blow the fuse or fry internal parts.

After you unscrew the security screws on the bottom, the top of the unit just lifts off. Make sure to remember which screws go where on the inside, if you put the long ones back in the wrong holes you can mess up the look of the shell by drilling through it. The only part you have to be really delicate with is the ribbon cable for the controller port assembly.

The hardest part to disassemble is the spring loaded bar that keeps the dust cover for the cartridge slot closed when not in use, make sure to look at how the spring is positioned before you take it apart so you don't find yourself scratching your head trying to figure out how it goes back in. The metal bar itself is a real pain to get in and out, but you'd have to try really hard to break it.

I hope this helps, I've only ever taken mine apart to clean it, so I have no advice on diagnosing hardware problems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYCollector View Post
    Dis-assembly is pretty easy.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE:
    Unplug the SNES, then turn the power switch to the "On" position. The SNES stores some electricity internally after it is turned off, possibly for a long time. If you don't discharge this energy before you open it up you can blow the fuse or fry internal parts.

After you unscrew the security screws on the bottom, the top of the unit just lifts off. Make sure to remember which screws go where on the inside, if you put the long ones back in the wrong holes you can mess up the look of the shell by drilling through it. The only part you have to be really delicate with is the ribbon cable for the controller port assembly.

The hardest part to disassemble is the spring loaded bar that keeps the dust cover for the cartridge slot closed when not in use, make sure to look at how the spring is positioned before you take it apart so you don't find yourself scratching your head trying to figure out how it goes back in. The metal bar itself is a real pain to get in and out, but you'd have to try really hard to break it.

I hope this helps, I've only ever taken mine apart to clean it, so I have no advice on diagnosing hardware problems.

Thanks man. I decided to open it up a few days ago and take everything out. From what I saw there was really no hardware problems, only a bit of dust. I decided to buy another 62 pin cartridge for the SNES which should come in a few days.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks man. I decided to open it up a few days ago and take everything out. From what I saw there was really no hardware problems, only a bit of dust. I decided to buy another 62 pin cartridge for the SNES which should come in a few days.
    I hope you got the right one, there's a version that requires soldering as well as one that just plugs into a socket on the board. I got the wrong one about 3 years ago so it's been sitting in a drawer ever since, thankfully I managed to get mine back into working order just by doing some thorough cleaning.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just received the new connector this afternoon and after cleaning and installing it...STILL the same problem i have. Blank black screen. I'm honestly out of options. Only one i have left is to try another power supply but I want a Nintendo OFFICIAL one. Anyone know where i can get one for cheap? like under $15?
    Last edited by Syzergy11; 09-23-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a official one for $9.99 plus 5 for shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-AC...#ht_500wt_1202

Also have you tried plunging the psu in different outlets or using a surge protector.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got a new power supply. Still having the same problem. Idk what to try anymore but at this point I might as well just buy a used SNES that will work. Thanks for all your help guys. I'll still check up on this thread for a week or two if anyone has ANY other options for me to try.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a few more things that you can try:

1. Disable the lockout chip by lifting pin 4, being careful not lift the trace off the board since a few of the later games will not work with a disabled lockout chip.

2. Replace all electrolytic capacitors regardless of visual condition. They can go bad and still look good.

3. Smack the hell out of it.

Beyond this, the only other thing I can think of is to replace all of the chips one at a time. Of course, at this point it probably isn't worth the trouble to repair unless you want practice working with SMD components.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

4. Threaten it with a sharp hunting knife.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Insert Coin (Level 0) DisastrophE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but I am having a similar issue though just not as bad.

I picked up a SNES lot today with the console and 21 games. When I first brought it home, half of the games didn't work. I got the same blank screen as the OP. So I cleaned all the games with rubbing alcohol and qtip. I took the console apart, cleaned it all out, including the pins and got most of the games to work.

However, 4 out of the 21 still give me the blank screen and 2 of those are doing odd things. I have a Killer Instinct cart that plays sound but there is no video and a Super Metroid cart that powers on, I get the Nintendo logo and then blank screen. The other 2 just give me the blank screen and nothing else.

At this point I've just chalked them up as faulty carts, but I have a hard time believing that they are all dead. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Faulty games or a defective SNES?
    [url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/DisastrophE88]
    [img]http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/blueice/DisastrophE88.jpg[/img]
    [/url]

[url=http://www.lusogamer.com/gamercards/psn][img]http://www.lusogamer.com/playstation-network/killzone_3_2/gamercard_default/DisastrophE88.png[/img][/url]