Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Common" game that eludes you

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default "Common" game that eludes you

I'm wondering about some games that have eluded you that should be easy as pie to find whether in the wild or on the internet.

I'm have almost completed my cart only N64 collection and yet some carts I still can find like NBA in the zone 2000 and Olympic hockey nango '98. I mean they're friggen $5 sports games ans they never show up, even on ebay. I should clarify that I only go for auction listings that have pictures on ebay.

So what are some games you can't find that should have been easy to get.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uniracers. It's common as all get out but after collecting 1/3rd of all SNES games (I buy 20-40 game lots at a time and sell the dups) it's still somehow not in my collection.

I've always wondered what that last game will be... ...the last one I get to complete my collection.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I already tracked it down, but Sonic 3 was my common unicorn for quite awhile. Was just looking for Cart only, and seemed like nobody within a couple hundred miles had it!

Right now, it's the majority of worthwhile original Xbox games. There's no place that sells 'em around here, unless I want to drive for 2 hours, and even then they don't have what I'm looking for.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I can't seem to find a copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta for original Xbox near me!

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Informationator View Post
    Uniracers. It's common as all get out but after collecting 1/3rd of all SNES games (I buy 20-40 game lots at a time and sell the dups) it's still somehow not in my collection.

I've always wondered what that last game will be... ...the last one I get to complete my collection.
    I swear Uniracers isn't as common as everyone makes it out to be. I've been collecting for about 7 years and have NEVER saw a copy in the wild. Could be a regional thing, but there is never many for sale on the forums either.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fatalstar64's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Fatalstar64

For me it's Yoshi's story for N64 and if I do find it they want $30 for a loose cart so I'll have to keep looking. Super Metroid eluded me for quite the while but since I got a copy I see them all the time go figure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A cheap copy of Donkey Kong Country for SNES. I had a chance to score one with a complete system (2 controllers, etc..) for $15 and balked. I haven't seen another copy locally under $10 since.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I had trouble tracking down Super Metroid for ages too, then again I am extremely tight-fisted when it comes to bidding on ebay (eventually got it for something like £7).

Ones that have evaded capture so far for me include Wario World, Wonderboy 1 on the Master System, Tetris DX (GBC) and Um Jammer Lammy with that last title being top of the 'gah crap why can't I find it anywhere' list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember it took me quite awhile to find decent black label copies of Crash Bandicoot 1/2.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snes_collector View Post
    I swear Uniracers isn't as common as everyone makes it out to be. I've been collecting for about 7 years and have NEVER saw a copy in the wild. Could be a regional thing, but there is never many for sale on the forums either.
    It isn't that common. 300k worldwide.

Shortly after the game's release, DMA Design was sued by Pixar for allegedly copying the unicycle design and concept from their 1987 short film Red's Dream. Mike Dailly, one of the developers at DMA Design, commented, "The problem with Pixar was that they seemed to think that any computer generated unicycle was owned by them."
    DMA Design lost the lawsuit, and as a result, Nintendo had to terminate production of further Unirally cartridges. According to Mike Dailly, "The deal was that Nintendo wouldn't make any more carts so Unirally only sold the 300k initial run".[1] Many reviewers and players believe the game would have been quite successful, given its critical praise, had it not been limited to its 300,000 production run.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gradius for NES. I've seen two copies and passed on both of them. The week I decide to buy them, they're gone.

Ristar for Genesis. I don't know if this is common or not, but I have never seen this in the wild. It's my most sought-after Genesis game right now.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalstar64 View Post
    For me it's Yoshi's story for N64 and if I do find it they want $30 for a loose cart so I'll have to keep looking. Super Metroid eluded me for quite the while but since I got a copy I see them all the time go figure.
    If you are a member over at nintendoage there is someone selling yoshi's story for $7.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ crazyjackcsa - Thanks for that info. I never knew that. It is a crying shame; that is a great game and more people should have had a chance to play it.

Well, I have been collecting SNES games for about 10 years. I suppose my response is based more on games that I have believe to be rare and uncommon, yet the DP guide states as being fairly common. Now, the DP guide has served pretty well for me in terms of rarity and I think it is mostly accurate. However, at least in my region, here are the games the suppository "common" games that in 10 years of searching I virtually never saw:

- Syndicate: This game is strangely SO much easier to find for the Jaguar. You know how many of them are on eBay right now? Only a single copy. There are more copies of Aero Fighters on there than there are of this game. I have only seen one copy in the wild and I bought it instantly. The DP guide that I have puts this at an R2. I have found it to be much more rare than that.

- Ren & Stimpy: Buckaroo$ - This game was a late release for the NES, but copies for the SNES are almost impossible to find. There are zero available on eBay right now. To put that in perspective, I have three copies of Fire Dogs, the supposedly BlockBuster rental exclusive, and that game goes for super cheap. So why is it that Buckaroo$ is so hard to find?

- Ghoul Patrol: This is the sequel to the beloved Zombies ate my Neighbors. I also heard that this was the only USA-developed SNES game to see release in Japan, but I don't know if that is actually true. However, the DP guide puts this at an R3 and I have never seen it once in the wild. I am still looking for this game.

- Nosferatu: Again, I have never seen this one in the wild. It is also steadily escalating in price, despite it not being a very good or well-remembered game. I finally bought one at a game convention, (does that count as in the wild?), and I'm glad I did. You would think that in 10 years I would see an "R2" at least once. I used to go to thrift stores every single day...

I do realize that the DP guide can only be so accurate because of regional differences. I have never tried to loot the East Coast for games, so I have no idea what things may be like over there. They might be devoid of games that we seem to have plenty copies of. For example, here are some "rare" games that I always keep on seeing copies of: Sonic Blastman II, Pieces, Ren & Stimpy Fire Dogs, and Lamborghini American Challenge. I almost have three copies of each to the point that I just stop buying them when I see them.
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Right now its Ms Pacman for the SNES. Sure there are lots on ebay but its one that I should be able to find locally but can't seem to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Ristar for Genesis. I don't know if this is common or not, but I have never seen this in the wild. It's my most sought-after Genesis game right now.
    Around here Ristar was cheap and common in the late 1990s. I recall renting it several times. It's value has held quite well so it's not too cheap and it's not common either, especially CIB since it was a later cardboard Genesis release. I've never seen it locally since I last rented it in 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesystick
    - Ghoul Patrol: This is the sequel to the beloved Zombies ate my Neighbors. I also heard that this was the only USA-developed SNES game to see release in Japan, but I don't know if that is actually true. However, the DP guide puts this at an R3 and I have never seen it once in the wild. I am still looking for this game.
    This is strange one but also in 1998 my friend gave me this game, along with NHL 94 and Lagoon plus his spare Super Nintendo and Interact Superpad. I still have it and otherwise have never seen another copy in the wild. Great game.

Interesting information on Uniracers, I remember hearing about the lawsuit a little while back. I've never seen that either.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the early 2000's, Sonic CD was my nemesis. I would drive from game store to game store every couple of months, looking for this damn title only to come home empty-handed. You see, back in the day, there were maybe 5 different game stores within a 40-mile radius and they all carried everything from atari up through xbox. I wasn't on ebay or amazon (I didn't even have the internet...or a pc) so gamestores were my only option. I looked around for this game for maybe 2 years? I even had a dream that I went to one of the stores and bought it for $26, only to actually go to that store and not see it anywhere in stock.

I did finally come across it at a gamestore in a town that I had just moved to. Finally, all that searching had come to an end....and you know what? The game wasn't even that great. Ok, but not worth a 2 year search.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Astro Warrior for the Master System eluded me for quite a while. Finally found one that didn't have a damaged case.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

A few months ago I would have said Contra Shattered Soldier and Bloodrayne 2 for PS2 (was looking for both CIB), but found both at Gamestop in recent days.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The final sports title that I got for my complete PS1 longbox collection was Striker 96.

Yeah, I found complete boxed copies of Psychic Detective, X-Com, Discworld and a bunch of others in the wild 10 times over before I found one Striker 96.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Put me down for Super Metroid as well. I SEE it sometimes, but I'm not paying 30+ dollars for the damn thing either. Meanwhile I got Metroid II at a good price without even really looking for it.