Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Finds You Passed Up and Regret Now!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've passed up plenty of games only to find out later they were rare. But the only thing I REGRET is a Venture stand-up arcade machine at a local thrift store. This thing looked bran new. Clean, great side art, and it played like it was just uncrated. I have honestly never seen a cleaner system.

Asking price? $100. Reason why I didn't get it? I didn't want to bother my dad for his truck that weekend. Found out later he had been doing hauling for some friends that same weekend, and he could've picked it up and delivered it to my house that very afternoon. x_x Of course, the machine was gone next weekend.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Used to work at Blockbuster and we got rid of all of our remaining SNES games for $0.99. After employee discount that came to $0.79 for a few hundred SNES games. Crappy rental stickers and missing manuals aside, the boxes were all perfect since they never leave the store. I only bought a few choice games though. d'oh. I did get Super Bomberman 2 with the multitap and two extra controllers for $0.79 though .

Hindsight is 20/20....................

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2 years ago, I saw Mighty Final Fight at (in this case, Funcoland) for 9.99. I only had so much money considering I was VISITING a far away state and was uncertain about if I saw something that really caught my eye. So I just thought about it and left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A boxed TurboExpress for $20!

My god, I can't believe I passed that up!
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A TG 16 in good shape for 6.99 at a local thrift..just started collecting at that point and had no clue what it was. DOH *smacks forhead*
    lost inside my own mind, trying to survive, looking for a way to stay alive... -Chromizone

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Not a Game but Related

How about a professional Sony Projector at an auction that went for one dollar!!
    I almost bid but while I was trying to decide SOLD!!! I wish I got that the unit was about 2ft wideX 3ft.long. Getting it to the car would have been interesting.
    On the up side I got A laser printer for $5 and a Professional Inkjet for $16. Also got 2 HP computers with monitors for $6 each K6/2 333 128MB (72pin RAM) one has a 170MB HD other had a 15GB.

At the same auction a friend bought a 333 upgrade processor in the box, but when he opened it the box contained the old P-133 instead that was pulled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have many nightmare gamer/collecting stories, but this is the most painful of all:
    A pawnshop that I used to visit regularly had about 20 Sega Saturns, some still in boxes selling for 10$ each!
    SS and Sega CD and PSX games for 3$ a piece!
    I had 2 bucks to my name.
    Life can be cruel sometimes

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I'm so dumb :(

C128, C64, 1571, *1581*, Bucket O' Disks.... $60
    I saw the Commie pile of yummy and didn't grab it. When I went back it, of course, was gone.
    I must've been high or something. I would've paid $60 for the 1581.

Also, 'bout '96/97 I had the chance to get a Lynx with a mess of games for $50. Wish I jumped on that.

Stupid Stupid Stupid
    Vintage Gaming | 8-bit Computing | SID Music

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Missed Opportunities

At the Grafton Flea Market I passed up on a Boxed Sears Pong System IV for $20. There was an Atari 2600 that the person also had. It came with about 10 games and 10 manuals. I got a bit overexited about it, I think it was one of the Heavy Sixer models, it did have a stamp on the back from Sunnyvale. When I went back for it the guy had it on reserve for someone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember going into a local Blockbuster Video and seeing among other things a boxed Secret of Mana, Dracula X, and Final Fight Guy for the SNES for $4.99 each. Picked up the Dracula X but left behind the Secret of Mana because I already Had one, and didn't take the Final Fight either because my friend told me it sucks. No big deal, but still pisses me off to this day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I passed up 15 to 20 boxed (maybe complete) SMS games at a Value Villiage once for $4 each. They may or may not have been rare. I don't remember what the titles were. The bad part is I probably see 1 or 2 boxed SMS games each year.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speed Racer: The Challenge of Racer X for Genesis. I actually saw it displayed in a store back in the good old days, and even had the money for it too, but I ended up buying something else instead because I thought that it would be around for a while since it had just come out. I went back the next day to buy it, and they told me they had all been sent back to the manufacturer because of some lawsuit or something from Sega. What a stupid decision that was to buy something else instead that day! I don't even remember what I bought, but I'm sure that it was nothing I couldn't have bought the very next day. And now, I don't think anyone even believes that game ever actually made it onto a store shelf, but I swear to God I saw one for sale. Had the chance to buy it, passed it up, lost the chance of a lifetime! Oh well.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tactics ogre for ps1 for 14.99, there were two and I only took one. I hope the other went to a collector, mine is still sealed- too valuable to play

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I was at Value Village once, and I saw a black system under a shelf that had a $30 price tag... I couldn't get very close to it, but it looked like a CD-i to me, and I figured that it really wasn't worth bothering with a CD-i, since I'd never bother getting games for it (the fact that this was just the system without any cables or controller or anything just made things harder). I also don't have a lot of disposable income, so I'd rather spend that $30 on other stuff instead... so I left it there.

The next day I happened to be there again, and it was half price day. At first I thought that only applied to their clothes and stuff, since that's usually the deal, but I ended up picking up some VCS controllers (I think it was my Gemini controllers, but my memory isn't what it used to be), and I got the discount on them, so I probably could have got the CD-i for $15 if I had wanted.

A week or so later, I was looking at pictures on the internet, and realized that I was completely wrong about what a CD-i actually looked like, and the machine I passed up for $15 was definitely not a CD-i.... although I'm still not completely sure WHAT the machine was, I have a bad feeling that it was actually a TurboDuo

--Zero

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My neighbor was wanted an n64 a few years back and he had a lot of genesis, snes, and nes games. He had the top loader and the box for it. he had about 70 games total with boxes for most. He was goin going to sell me al the stuff for 40 bucks. I only had about 50 bucks then and I thoguht the stuff was garbage. I wasnt a collecter then. He moved a few months later and a few months after that I realized how stupid i was. I managed to find out where he lived a few weeks later but he said he sold the stuff for 50 bucks to a friend. That was my story and I'm going to go light myself on fire now.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He had the nes top loader in box*** and I didnt buy the stuff even though I had enough money. I needed it for sonic comics probably. lol. fire time

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome! I just bought a toploader from a kid at school with 13 games including burgertime, megaman 1, and 4(Which I already have both megamans) for 15 bucks.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome! I just bought a toploader from a kid at school with 13 games including burgertime, megaman 1, and 4(Which I already have both megamans) for 15 bucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a few fore me.

Wal-Mart
    Nester's Funky Bowling (Clearence) - $5
    Jack Bros. (In the same bargain bin) - $5

Once last summer, my friend went to a garage sale a few houses away from my house, and they were selling a big box of Genesis games (probably around 75-100 games) for $30. My friend didn't buy it for me because he "didn't know if I wanted it or not". Of course, we got there and it was gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Plenty of sega saturn games at shop in erie, pa for $1 a piece....good stuff too (all new). He also had Turbo Grafx games for $2 but I wasnt into mine anymore (at the time). Not VG related but a guy at a garage sale had like 3 grocery bags full of 1977-1985 Star Wars figures and weapons for like $5 per bag.....I new if I went back hed'd still have them...or not.