Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying games with messed up labels?...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Buying games with messed up labels?...

So what do people think about buying a game with a messed up label, removing it, buying a new label from one of those sites that allows you to order one, and then slapping that on the cartridge. Would you feel okay about having such a game in your collection? Any qualms about doing this?

The reason I ask is that my friend has a few games, some of them common, some of them rare. But several have serious label issues. He's willing to sell them to me for a much cheaper price because of that. I consider myself a gamer, and not really a collector. So I'm ready to jump on that deal. And yet, a part of me feels like if I buy the games, tear off the bad labels and replace them with new ones, like that would be a 'bad' thing to do. For some reason, it's unsettling. I guess I can't really explain it.

Any thoughts on this?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm against replacing the labels. If I came across a cart with a replaced label, I'd either think it was a bootleg or a reproduction. I don't see a reason to replace them, if you want a cart in good shape then track a better one down instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's a game I'd want to play I'll buy it regardless of what the label looks like. It's not like owning a game prevents you from getting another copy with a nicer label, if you're into appearances.
    Denmark: Home of The Little Mermaid and heavy sarcasm.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

hmm...just want to be clear. The games he's offering to sell me are extremely rare NES games, and the price he's giving is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than buying them with intact labels. Will I ever spend hundreds of dollars buying the same games just to have minty labels? Hell no. Has the thought of buying the games, replacing the labels, and throwing them up on ebay to make huge profits, has that crossed my mind? Hell yes. But I actually would like to keep the games. I wonder if the game's value would drop because I replaced the labels. In other words, what is the value of a game with a messed up label compared to the same game with a replaced label?

But more than anything, I was curious what other people thought about replacing messed up labels on your games.

thanks

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd rather preserve what's left of the original label rather than scrap it all.

I don't fret that much over label damage. I love a game with a mint label, but tons of games in my collection have some kind of label issue. If if you treat a game like gold, the label can still go sour, like with all the 2600 and Genesis games that get Actiplaque. And if you buy used games, label damage is pretty much unavoidable, what with all the people that slap stickers on the labels and what have you. I do take a lot of pride in restoring labels, though. Even though they'll still have some problems when I'm done, I've made a lot of labels look MUCH better than when I started.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess it depends on how messed up the label is, if you're thinking value. A game with a poor original label will always be worth more than a game without the original label. Well, to me at least.
    If you want it to look nice on the shelf, go ahead and replace the label, just don't expect its price to be affected to the better.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The way I see it is that it is like any other collectible. When you get a repro label it is like restoring it it is not worth as much as original but it still looks good. Think about it would you rather buy a 1970 Challenger in original condition if the paint was all chipped, scratched, and rusted or a restored one?

This is why I tend not to have a problem with putting a new label on a very damaged game. Eventually all collectible items get to the point where they need a little restoration. BUT, and this is a big but, it should always be mentioned when reselling that the label is a reproduction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

The only re-labeling I do is on end labels that have completely been demolished or are missing. For instance you'll come across a lot of Atari 2600 games that are missing their end labels. I just use a P-touch labeler and make a new one. I'm not trying to replace the original, I just want to know what the game is. Same goes for a couple NES games I have where the end label area has been worn away completely. Torn, damaged, faded, etc. no big deal. Can always be replaced with a better condition cartridge and then the older copy can be sold off.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would buy it if it was at least 50% less than normal price. As far as removing it, unless it is totally trashed, I would just leave it. If it is really messed up(like half of it missing), then I would re-label it. Well, "I" wouldn't.....because I am too lazy. But if someone would do it for me, that would be nice! I would love to have some nice N64 end labels. Is there someone who sells them individually?? I need about 20 or so...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I would love to have some nice N64 end labels. Is there someone who sells them individually?? I need about 20 or so...
    If I was to label them, I'd probably just clear-tape a paper label on.

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

If you are just adding them to your collection, I'd say do what you like. As said before, if you sell, just inform the buyer. Personally I would pay more for a cart with a damaged label than one I knew had a reproduction.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default My advice. . .

If you're mainly a player: Replace the labels if you'd like them to look nicer. If you're not one to really resale games, and only purchase games you're interested in playing, there's little reason to care about the integrity of them media.

If you're mainly a collector: Just clean them; otherwise leave the original labels alone. Collectibles should be maintained, but not necessarily restored. Especially when we're talking about things like packaging, and label graphics. Think of it as 'electronics patina'. Preservation is the name of the game if the focus is mainly collecting/archiving. Besides, it's not uncommon to resale and trade valued acquisitions with fellow collectors, and most would prefer the original damaged labels rather than reproductions, I'd imagine.

If you're planning on reselling: Determine if the quality of the replacement labels and damage to the original labels would warrant replacing them in the first place, and if you do decide to replace them, ABSOLUTELY disclose that the labels are reproductions, and take several pictures of the carts...possibly next to ones with their original label for comparison reasons, if you can.

If you go this route, I'd decide what to replace on a game-by-game basis. The rarer, more sought after stuff is the stuff I'd just leave original. I'd imagine a casual collector would be quicker to purchase a $30 game like Gun*Nac with a really nice replacement label than a hardcore collector would a $200+ game like Flintstones: Surprise at Dino Peak with a repro label.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 09-15-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So the consensus seems to be to leave the original messed up labels intact. And like I said, I'm more a gamer than I am a collector. However, even I have to admit that the games look absolutely trashy the way they are now. Being able to purchase such rare games for so cheap a price is definitely a great deal. And honestly, I will NEVER come across these games at a cheaper price, unless I somehow get SUPER lucky at a flea market, but I can't be f*cked to dick around such places. So it's a trade off. Do I buy the games and put them on my shelf knowing fully well that their labels look like absolute trash? Or do I pass, and thus say goodbye to the only chance I'll ever have of owning these rare carts?

Seems like I'm in a catch 22. I honestly don't think I'll be satisfied either way.
    thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Think about the worn and torn labels as a testament on how much the games have been played. Games that are played to the brink of falling apart damn well better be nothing short of phenomenal.

If, as you say, you are mostly a gamer, a funky looking cart almost falling apart pretty much equals that old TMNT VHS tape you used to watch over and over again as a child until it started skipping and flickering. It's barely watchable but you know it's quality entertainment.

Yes, I'm a nostalgic old fart.

Out of curiousity, what are the games in question, since you see no way of ever getting them in better shape?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by bunnybum View Post
    Think about the worn and torn labels as a testament on how much the games have been played. Games that are played to the brink of falling apart damn well better be nothing short of phenomenal.

If, as you say, you are mostly a gamer, a funky looking cart almost falling apart pretty much equals that old TMNT VHS tape you used to watch over and over again as a child until it started skipping and flickering. It's barely watchable but you know it's quality entertainment.

Yes, I'm a nostalgic old fart.

Out of curiousity, what are the games in question, since you see no way of ever getting them in better shape?
    Get the games, sell them as they are for more, buy a powerpak, play the games from the powerpak and tons of other games. It's not emulation, it's native hardware rom code.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Buy them for sure. As long as you can get your money back (or close to it) then you get a chance to try something you've never played. What games are they?

You ever think about making a custom box? That way the only time you have to see the ugly game is when you put it in to play it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Clearly the labels are an issue to you, or you wouldn't have bought them up. If you think it will make them more acceptable in your collection then get them restored, just make sure you disclose that before you let them loose in the community.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I really don't understand what the big deal is. If you're mostly a gamer then just buy the games and play them. I'm mostly a collector and I have some rare games with messed up labels because I was able to get them cheaper.

It sounds like you just want to know how you can make the most off your friend's kindness by selling you these games for cheaper because of the labels.

My advise is for you to not buy them and let someone who will enjoy the games buy them rather than selling them to you for you to just turn around and sell them for profit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    It sounds like you just want to know how you can make the most off your friend's kindness by selling you these games for cheaper because of the labels.
    Looking at OP's previous topics makes me think you're right

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

I've got a replacement MUSHA label and box insert coming my way soon, mostly because of the following:
    My copy's label is absolutely destroyed.
    I really like MUSHA.

It's more a project in creating a replica of art. I am not planning to sell it. I am planning to actually swap the cartridge shell and keep my shitty cart shell. I just want it to look pretty and see how accurate of a reproduction I can make. If I find a complete copy when I have the cash, of course I will buy it. I was somewhat pissed when I missed a copy for $45 over at the shmups forum. I don't think I would even consider selling the copy with reproduction bits because even if the buyer knows it's a reproduction, what's to stop him or her from selling it to someone else without telling him or her? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"