Thread: Lode Runner

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Lode Runner

So lately I rediscovered the arcade version of this. Besides that, the only Lode Runner games I've played were the Apple II and Commodore 64 ones.

First of all, I'm wondering which console versions of Lode Runner are the best? I'm thinking the PC Engine ones are, but I want some input.

Secondly, Sierra did a series of Lode Runner games for Windows 95 (The Legend Returns, the Mad Monk's Revenge, etc) and I'm wondering were these worth picking up, or should I avoid them like the plague?

And what about the 3D one that graced the Nintendo 64?

Thanks in advance.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to say from owning and playing the n64 one it is good and a difficult one at that. This one will take lodes of time to beat if you haven't played most of this series before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have the PS1 version simply called Lode Runner which contains both Lode Runner: The Legend Returns and Lode Runner Extra on one disc. Really like it. Excellent port and very much recommended.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Of the console ports I've played, the pc engine version is the shiniest and most complete. However, it's not the original game. If you want to play the original levels, the NES/Famicom version be Hudson is really solid, both technically and visually (bomberman makes a cameo too!)

The windows games from sierra were also great, but from what I remember there wasn't a fullscreen mode. Regardless, I highly recommend them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Lode Runner was one of the first truly great games I remember playing on the Apple II. My dad and I not only beat both Lode Runner and Championship Lode Runner, but frequently made levels for each other to play using the in game editor. Those were great times, and I got a lot more enjoyment out of that 30k game than most modern games that'll barely fit on a DVD. But, I digress ...

For what it's worth, I always liked the Apple II version over the Commodore version, simply because Apple II joysticks support 2 buttons while the C64 only used one. In the Apple version, one button dug left while the other dug right. On the C64 version, you had to be facing the direction you wanted to dig. It was much, much easier on the Apple II version to run away while digging holes behind you.

The PSX version was pretty good, with updated graphics as you would expect. The only problem with the new graphics is that it makes the screen so much busier that at times it's hard to see where your enemies are vs. the old black and white versions.

I didn't care for the 3D N64 version, but then again I don't care for the N64 controller or really even the N64 all that much so I'm the wrong guy to ask. It never felt like Lode Runner to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I'm wondering which console versions of Lode Runner are the best?
    I can't speak for the best as I haven't played them all, however, I do enjoy the cute-ified Super Famicom version, called Lode Runner Twin

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/6501/127901.html

Also in 1999 Nintendo Power released Power Lode Runner, which is another cool revisioning of the Lode Runner name. Unfortunately it was never released on a physical cartridge, but can be experienced through a flash cart.

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/6501/127922.html

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't grow up with the originals, but I thought that the Sierra games were outstanding.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lookfun78 View Post
    lodes of time to beat
    I just want to commend you on your pun.

That is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lode Runner 3-D for the N64 is pretty good, well worth playing. It's got a unique look and gameplay, as it's kind of a 2.5d/3d hybrid. On the one hand, the graphics are polygonal, and you do move around in 3d, sort of. However, you're only ever moving on a 2d plane, except for when you're at an intersection. Basically the levels are made up of curving paths you follow that connect together in various ways. Your goal is the same as usual for a Lode Runner game, though - get all the coins, then get to the exit, while avoiding the enemies.

Here's a gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXrCAo_9ciw

The graphics aren't the greatest, they're just average, but the gameplay is good and the levels well designed. I think it's a good game. The 2d/3d hybrid concept is a good one and leads some interesting puzzles, and I don't know of much else out there quite like it. It's definitely worth playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    For what it's worth, I always liked the Apple II version over the Commodore version, simply because Apple II joysticks support 2 buttons while the C64 only used one. In the Apple version, one button dug left while the other dug right. On the C64 version, you had to be facing the direction you wanted to dig. It was much, much easier on the Apple II version to run away while digging holes behind you.
    Actually, Ctrl-D will switch the side of digging. I've always been a slash-n-burn digger.

I used to have all the C64 LR Ctrl keys memorized, but now all I can remember are: D changes digging, A kills you, Z does.. something, + shifts you forward, - back a screen, and E starts the editor.

There's more.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com