Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you have any personal gaming "rules" you adhere to?

Junker Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

I don't use cheats and cheating devices. The only time I use this sort of thing is like, for example, messing around with a game on the NES with the Game Genie. I love to tinker with different things on Super Mario Bros. 3, such as messing with the music or making the graphics screwy, it's fun to do. Then there's other "cheats" that are fun to play with like on Goldeneye, the DK mode and paintball cheat. But I don't use actual cheats like invincibility and the like.

No matter how badly I may suck at a certain game or how hard the game really is, I'll never play anything below the normal setting. How could I get better at a game when I set it to go easy on me? I have to endure the shitstorm it throws at me and learn how to fight back.

I, too, also try to follow the rule of playing a game series in order. If it's something like Final Fantasy, I see it unnecessary as each and every game has its own completely different storyline from the rest. But generally if it's something that goes in order, I play from the start to the end.

I try my hardest not to use a guide but there's sometimes where I have no choice but to consult a guide. I avoid this at all costs and rarely ever have to do it, but there are times when I simply have to. I do everything in my power to keep from doing so such as talking to everyone I can (if the game allows it), keeping note of every clue I get, backtracking and double-checking where I've been to make sure I didn't miss anything and, if I'm stuck at a puzzle, simply take my time to figure it out.

In response to the thing about not harming non-enemy NPCs and such in games if it allows you to kill them or not, I generally don't try to kill them either unless it's something like GTA, but I guess it's a matter of trying to be the hero and I want to keep my hands clean of any dirty deeds I may have brought upon myself if it comes back to me later. I'd rather be able to get somewhere I possibly may not if I were to kill said persons.
    "Nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!" ~ Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

1. Never pay more than $20-25 for new games. They eventually drop.
    2. Never buy a game guide/walk-thru book. If a game REQUIRES a book, fuck it.
    3. Never bother playing a game so frustrating that it inspires throwing the controller. There are better games with less frustration that need to be played.
    4. Never play a game that has horrendous controls (i.e. Resident Evil, Fear Effect). It won't get better the more that you play.
    5. Never re-buy a game you hated originally thinking that it might be a better go this time around. If it sucked then, it'll suck now.
    6. Try and play through an entire game in a set time period so that important points in the game aren't forgotten. Not fun to come back to a game and not remember the plot or what you're supposed to be doing.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My only rule is play the original game only no emulators or powerpaks.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by leatherrebel5150 View Post
    My only rule is play the original game only no emulators or powerpaks.
    Is that because you don't enjoy games that are emulated because the experience is different, or is it a matter of principle? I'm asking because I've come to understand that some people take moral issue with emulation, wholly, across the board. I'm not sure why in all instances (especially in cases of older games), but I'm curious why that's a rule of yours.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 09-16-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do not consult any FAQs, walkthroughs, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I don't know, it's just how I am. I wasn't one of those kids who had to be taught to be sympathetic, generous, and kind, I was already that way. It's just my nature. Things like purely sadistic behavior and wanton cruelty just don't appeal to me. It's why I can't watch (or enjoy) shit like Hostel.
    I actually am the same way.. sympathetic, overly generous, and kind. It's actually the way everyone is where I come from. It's engrained in my entire nature. And I don't like movies like Hostel, even though of course they're entirely fake. But then again I don't like chick flicks either.

But yeah we're just different. Even though my inherent nature is of kindness, I shoot whoever in vids with no problem anymore than I'd have a problem smashing clay figures of people. Because of course, it's not people. It's clay.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Try not to repeatedly play the same games on the same consoles during the same year. There's too much uncovered ground and it's time to play something new, or replay something I haven't played in years. If I want to replay something that badly, I should play a remake of it or port of it on another system so I cover more progress ground.

When playing a series, do it in order.

Don't cheat at all this time through the games. If an action game is just too hard I'll come back to it after I cycle through my collection. If a hard game prevents me from continuing a series, that's tough. I'll work on other series and come back to it. If I beat all my other series and absolutely just can't do it, fine then cheat to get past the obstacle or just skip it.

Walkthroughs are ok when I come to something where I can't figure out what to do next or where to go. My time is too precious to explore an 8-bit grindfest RPG that has no world map function to let me even see where I am going on the open sea. Navigation by online map or walkthrough is great for these situations.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Could you smash these clay people? Haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nir9TjozWvU