Thread: Closet of Doom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Closet of Doom

There's been enough room of doom posts lately that I thought I'd show off my little slice of heaven.

I used to have a room of doom and to be honest didn't really like it. It was messy, I always kept the door closed - it just felt like that room was being wasted.

So, I made my room of doom into a kick-ass office with a closet of doom! I hook my consoles into my PC's tv tuner when I want to use them (or take them to the CRT in the basement or use one of the other TVs - I usually just use the TV tuner).

Here's the outside door - looks very unassuming. Looks like a regular old closet.

Open the door and *BAM* - wonders appear.

The best thing in the closet of doom: a tea party rally flag (edit: it's actually a Gadsden flag)). Being Canadian, I don't really know what this is, but I was in Pittsburgh once and there was a tea party rally across from my hotel. It was hilarious - I had to buy the flag, I had no choice.

Top left of the closet: on the very top are some odds and ends, my saitek joystick, my CDX leather carrying case and some boxes.

Right below that shelf you can see Gamecube, Wii, DS, Pokemon Mini (I love this) and a few Sega CD games.

On the shelf below is some PS2 / PS3 and PSP games - next to these are my handhelds kept in their little cardboard coffins

Top right of the closet: you can see a tribble, my Vectrex and CD holders. I use the CD holders to keep loose discs and the other is for gameboy games. The vectrex case is awesome and I got it from a lady on atari age.

Below this you can see Sega CD / Saturn games, some genesis stuff and my small (but growing) CIB 32X collection.

Below this is my xbox/xbox 360 stuff.

Bottom left of the closet: On the top shelf of this picture you can see some plastic tubs that contain a bunch of gameboys, DS's and PSP. Next to that are a few boxed 3DO games and my PC Engine stuff.

Below that you can see a bunch of joysticks and systems, which are self-explanatory. My favorite in this picture is either the toploader (AV modded) or the CDX.

Bottom right of the closet: on the top shelf of this pic can be seen the PC Engine stuff again (love those Turbo Views DVDs ) and some n-gage games, NES, SNES and N64 stuff. Since getting powerpaks I've greatly reduced my collection just to the stuff that I really want to keep.

On the shelves below are various consoles and joysticks. My favorite console here is the Turbo Duo.

At the very bottom of the closet I've got bankers boxes which hold controllers, AC adapters, AV cables and other misc. stuff. They're broken down by Nintendo / Sega / Sony and Microsoft / Miscellaneous. There's also a box with my Commodore 64 in it.

As you can see, I'm not much of a collector, more of a gamer, but this works great for me. I'm much happier with the closet of doom over the old room of doom set up.

Does anyone else have a closet (instead of room) of doom?
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 09-20-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mine's not in a closet, but fits in about the same amount of space. I'm diggin that clear Xbox. I'm more a gamer than collector as well, though I must admit I still have a pretty long 'want list' at this point.

Also: my SNES discolored the same way as yours!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Also: my SNES discolored the same way as yours!
    A lot of them are. I've thought about replacing it, but it's my wife's original SNES from when she was young, so I can't part with it. I'm stuck with my yellow SNES

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Nice closet. Let me know if you want to off that Vectrex cover.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Most of my collection is in a closet, but actually boxed up in mailing boxes for the time being.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Looks like a nice collection but I think it's time you came out of the closet hahaha

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post

The best thing in the closet of doom: a tea party rally flag. Being Canadian, I don't really know what this is, but I was in Pittsburgh once and there was a tea party rally across from my hotel. It was hilarious - I had to buy the flag, I had no choice.

Does anyone else have a closet (instead of room) of doom?
    First things first, it's not a 'Tea Party Flag'. Well they do use it now as a rallying cry of sorts, but it's a flag that has been in use here in America since the colonial days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_flag

The more you know!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do store game stuff in one of our closets... too bad it's system boxes and well, my complete collections, cause well, thats the only place for them. Go closet power! (complete US DC collection and NGPC collections)

Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Impressive!

I used to have a closet of doom at my previous address. I was the only one living in my mom's house at the time so I moved everything to the master bedroom and turned the walk-in closet into a closet of doom. I really should have taken pictures of it before I moved a few years ago but never got around to it.

At the place I'm staying at now, I've got a "Breezeway of Doom". My housemates have a ranch style home and I rent out the breezeway that's been converted into a room. Most of my stuff is boxed up with only a pair of Billy bookcases to show off stuff and a pair of shelves that have my DS and Saturn/TG/CD-I games. Everything else is boxed up in the basement. I'm trying to see if I can squeeze one more Billy into the spot where the DS shelf is.

I'm derailing so let me shut and get back to your closet....maybe you could add some more flair by putting posters or have an over the door rack for additional gaming swag?
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    First things first, it's not a 'Tea Party Flag'. Well they do use it now as a rallying cry of sorts, but it's a flag that has been in use here in America since the colonial days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_flag

The more you know!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's pretty neat actually - edited the original posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    ...maybe you could add some more flair by putting posters or have an over the door rack for additional gaming swag?
    I forgot to include that. I should get a cool poster or something for the back of the door, but for right now I've got an atari 2600 calendar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of them are. I've thought about replacing it, but it's my wife's original SNES from when she was young, so I can't part with it. I'm stuck with my yellow SNES
    I've heard really good things about using retr0brite to get rid of the yellowing on old SNES consoles. I'm actually getting ready to use a batch myself pretty soon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I should get a cool poster or something for the back of the door, but for right now I've got an atari 2600 calendar.
    How about if you mount a flat screen TV on the inside of the door? That way you could keep all of your consoles on the shelf, but conceal the wires and route them through a selector box. All you'd have to do is open the door, flip a couple switches, and the console of your choice would fire up. Instead of taking the console out, hooking it up to whatever TV is in that room, then putting it back when you're done, you could have it all contained in the closet area. Just pull up a barstool, grab a controller, and get to alien blastin'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I added something to my closet of doom to keep my joysticks in order.

This thing is awesome! It's cleared up a bunch of room

It doesn't hold everything. Really big sticks (e.g. Saturn Virtua Stick or the Wii Tatsunoko stock don't fit, but regular/small ones do
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 02-23-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is great. Well done.
    I really like how streamlined and not cluttered your setup is.
    I find myself moving more and more in this direction as more of a gamer than collector, getting rid of a lot of loose games and replacing them with flash carts. Your rack for the joysticks is an excellent use of space that not many people would be using to store game related stuff.
    Colour me inspired.