Thread: question about playing pal saturn games ona ntsc console

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sundowner's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default question about playing pal saturn games ona ntsc console

There's a few saturn games I have my eye on that was only released in europe. The games I am interested in are Lemmings 3D and Atlantis. I have an action replay cart. Will that allow me to play these games without any problems? I read something about the hz are different and the sound/video will be screwed up, also the games will either have a black border or will be stretched out too far and not fit on screen. Anyone know more info or have tried these games out on their ntsc console? thank you

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
    There's a few saturn games I have my eye on that was only released in europe. The games I am interested in are Lemmings 3D and Atlantis. I have an action replay cart. Will that allow me to play these games without any problems? I read something about the hz are different and the sound/video will be screwed up, also the games will either have a black border or will be stretched out too far and not fit on screen. Anyone know more info or have tried these games out on their ntsc console? thank you

I don't know about Saturn specifically, but in general playing PAL games on an NTSC console & TV is far more problematic than the other way around. The problems you mention about the black borders or stretching are for playing NTSC on PAL.

If the Action Replay even allows the game to start at all (I have no idea if it will) the screen's probably going to be black and white and all sorts of funk'd up, almost like trying to watch the scrambled channels on cable back before they went digital.

On some systems you can patch the games to force NTSC, but again I don't know about Saturn, and in any event that would require you to have a way to play burned games on your Saturn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only have one PAL Saturn game (Darius II), but it works fine on my US Saturn+Action Replay or Japanese Saturn+Action Replay. The only issue is that the captions for the intro level (where the girl says something about tuna sashimi) appear later after dialogue. I think it has something to do with the 50hz/60hz difference.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

theyll work fine but as mentioned you might experince a few minor bugs with an action replay. If the saturn was chipped the games would play fine. My system is chipped and Atlantis plays flawlessly.