Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Johnny Turbo and poor marketing's role in the failure of the Turbografx-16.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my neck of the woods, K Mart didn't even carry video games until '96 or '97.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Oh yeah, I had forgotten about Children's Palace, that's where I got my Lynx. I never saw it at out local K-Mart though (West Bloomfield area), maybe that was a regional thing?

Tempest
    It is quite possible? K-Mart only stocked the Turbo Grafx 16 at its initial release - I purchased the console as well as my first game (The Legendary Axe) at K-Mart… they never carried any newer titles and never restocked the console after mid 1990…

Children's Palace was the store my mother took me to every month (while she would shop at Pace) and I focused on purchasing TG-16 as well as SMS games as they were not available at most other retailers…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    I grew up in SE Michigan too (Canton) and TG-16 was available at K-Mart - that's where I bought mine at in June of 1990! I also bought all my games at Children's Palace in Westland til they closed then went to TRU through the mid 90s… (still have some receipts - $59.99 for Splatterhouse!)

games could be rented at Movies & More and Game Masters (where I worked in high school) I bought many of the games from both stores when they started selling off their stock…

I know the system wasn't very popular… I originally got suckered into getting it but I was really happy with it and love it to this day!
    Wow I only live in Bellevile and I remembered the same thing. The mail order catalog was an easier way to get their products imho

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by The Dord View Post
    Wow I only live in Bellevile and I remembered the same thing. The mail order catalog was an easier way to get their products imho
    Maybe they had it in their catalog, I never looked at that. Our K-Mart barely carried any games other than some leftover 2600 stuff and a few NES games into the early 90's.

You're in Bellevile? You should come to one of our SE MI gaming get togethers sometime.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

This entire thread is comedy gold! Those videos that YoshiM posted made my day all in themselves...the rest of the links to the "Johnny Turbo" comics made my day yesterday. So much epic badness in video game advertising...I'm really not sure what they were thinking.

How in the world did that Yoshi's Island commercial get the green light when the exploding hamster was censored in Maniac Mansion?
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by The Dord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Maybe they had it in their catalog, I never looked at that. Our K-Mart barely carried any games other than some leftover 2600 stuff and a few NES games into the early 90's.

You're in Bellevile? You should come to one of our SE MI gaming get togethers sometime.

Tempest
    the Canton K-mart had a fair selection of games… typical NES stuff as well as a few Genesis and Turbo Grafx games at their release… they also had SNES at launch as that's where I also purchased my SNES!

hey Tempest, a bunch of us might be meeting up at Pinball Pete's next weekend… I can message you at AA or text you when I find out more details - of course, ANYONE is more welcome to come by and hang out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    hey Tempest, a bunch of us might be meeting up at Pinball Pete's next weekend… I can message you at AA or text you when I find out more details - of course, ANYONE is more welcome to come by and hang out!
    Sounds good. Shoot me PM with the info.
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!