Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix Admits Final Fantasy XIV Damaged Brand [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Square Enix Admits Final Fantasy XIV Damaged Brand [Slashdot]

_xeno_ writes "It's taken a year since Final Fantasy XIV launched to what can at best be called unfavorable reviews, but Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada is finally willing to admit that the (still subscription-free) MMO 'greatly damaged' the entire Final Fantasy brand. Despite this damage, Wada said Square Enix will continue to work on 'reviving' the game, with an upcoming patch promising to finally introduce such series staples as chocobos and airships. Even so, there's still no word on the PS3 release, which was delayed until the game was 'fixed,' nor is there any sign that Square Enix feels the game will be worth a subscription fee any time soon."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's their fault, but they're making it sound like they're somehow not responsible. They're blaming the game itself, and not confessing that they made the game that way.

It's still getting better, but I don't understand how much longer it's going to be in "free post-beta beta" mode and still have people take it seriously. When the subscription finally kicks in, can they convince people to pay for something that's been free for a year and a half?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Not an ice cube's chance in hell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They think 14 is ruining the brand? Have they looked at FF13? It's a f*cking 10 hour walk down a long tunnel with some of the worst characters to ever existing in video gaming history, whilst listening to some of the most inappropriate music. If anything killed the Final Fantasy franchise it was 13.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    They think 14 is ruining the brand? Have they looked at FF13? It's a f*cking 10 hour walk down a long tunnel with some of the worst characters to ever existing in video gaming history, whilst listening to some of the most inappropriate music. If anything killed the Final Fantasy franchise it was 13.
    This is so true for me I managed to beat the game but I might never return to replay it though.

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    This. The only Final Fantasy game, aside from duplicates I found for cheap, that I sold. I'm never picking up Final Fantasy 13-2 when the gameplay is the same bullshit and the story is probably just as bad. Final Fantasy 13 might look like a diamond, but in reality it's still a piece of coal.

It really makes you wonder if Sakaguchi is the reason the rest of the series was good, or in one case, atleast decent. When he left Matsuno headed FF12 for awhile, and that's probably why it has such amazing concepts, yet after moving over to being a writer and someone else took over directing could be why it has the flaws that it does.

I think that the Final Fantasy series name isn't ruined, but it's clear that none of the newer games hold a candle to the magic of the older titles. The developers need to put much more into gameplay and story first, even if they have to scale back on the graphics.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy started going downhill after VI.
    At this point it's just a cash cow that gives sour milk.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

wake me up when final fantasy versus drops, i dont give a fuck about the series as a whole anymore, havent for a long time, the series started going downhill after ix for me

x was good but wasnt great, its the one that started the whole linear thing
    never played x-2 nor do i really care to, same with xi

xii gets a bad wrap but i always liked it, the only thing i can really complain about was the story, it seemed like the overarching premise would be really great, but once im in game its like....who gives a fuck? i had 40 hours into the game before i realized i had no idea wtf was going on or why i should care, balthier and fran were the only likeable characters, but i pretty much loved everything else about the game

xiii.....seriously......just fuck this game, just straight up fuck this game.

edit: "MOMS ARE TOUGH"
    Last edited by LaughingMAN.S9; 09-30-2011 at 03:00 PM.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

Wow, those guys are really dumb if they only noticed now that Final Fantasy is fubar'ed, i thought they where just milking it at this point, i didn't even imagine they would think it's any good. What a way to treat your salvation though...

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I always got the impression that the MMO FFs were seen as separate entities from the other games by most people. So if there's anything FFXIV hurt it's the subsequent FF MMO. Many Square Enix's other games have their own problems (read: Tetsuya Nomura).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

So many RPG series have gown downhill it's not even funny. It's like they are trying too hard to make the genre easier to play. I don't know whether I'll be happy or disappointed when I finally beat all the old RPGs I know about and "catch up" in these long series. It must not be too bad if my ex had enough fun with the PS2 RPGs to do nothing but play them all the time. Then there's the fact there's a ton of older one-off games and series I haven't tried before if I get to some new stuff and don't care for it.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    It's like they are trying too hard to make the genre easier to play.
    Actually that's not that wrong. What they want though is accessibility, what they often do these days (outside of rpgs also) is watering it down. It's about making it accessible, and offering a comfortable learning curve for newbies to catch up while offering challenges for veterans. A good example for doing just that would be Anno 1404 which is complexer than ever but also more accessible than ever. Only series where the old one was always surpassed by the new one, this is about to change though. But yes you are right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still don't understand the fanboy rants of "everything after VI sucks" it seems elitist to me, I know a lot of people who loved VII throught to IX with myself being included.

My personal opinion, not stated as fact, is that with FFX they started to jump the shark, while X had great visuals, music and a storyline I liked the game just felt like it wasn't an RPG anymore but a "we will hold your hand and walk you through our linear game". XII, while IMO a super impressive RPG it has the most boring and uninteresting cast of characters and story out of al the FF's and wel XIII...

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

FFVII was fine. It's what VII inspired that screwed up the series (or at least a number of entries in it), and by extension other games like Kingdom Hearts.

It's kind of like how back in the 80s there were some gritty, violent comic books that achieved a level of popularity and that ended up inspiring the Rob Liefeld era in the 90s. Same goes for Final Fantasy. FFVII did what it did very well. Except, thanks to flanderization, the series ended up becoming a parody of itself filled with pseudo-philosophical existential nonsense and gaudy bullshit.

I enjoyed FFXII so much because it was a nice break from that.

It's not the gameplay or linearity of the series that bothers me in the least. It's that it's become a cookie cutter Evangelion wannabe.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 09-30-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zama View Post
    This is so true for me I managed to beat the game but I might never return to replay it though.
    I may never finish it. I was enjoying the game well into the final chapters, aside from realizing that everything up until the end of Chapter 10 felt like a tutorial. I took a break to play other games, returned to 13 and just stared at the screen blankly for five minutes straight before saying to myself 'I really don't want to be bothered.'

I notice I'm doing that with a lot of RPGs these days. I'm more interested in the story, screw the leveling, dungeon crawling and whatever the hell else (except for my sweet, sweet item crafting, love that shit). Show me the piss easy power leveling method so I can get this fail boat sailing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    I still don't understand the fanboy rants of "everything after VI sucks" it seems elitist to me, I know a lot of people who loved VII throught to IX with myself being included.

My personal opinion, not stated as fact, is that with FFX they started to jump the shark, while X had great visuals, music and a storyline I liked the game just felt like it wasn't an RPG anymore but a "we will hold your hand and walk you through our linear game". XII, while IMO a super impressive RPG it has the most boring and uninteresting cast of characters and story out of al the FF's and wel XIII...
    It's not like the PS1 games weren't great games. They just never really surpassed the 16bit games.
    After that, though, the series went full retard.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    It's like they are trying too hard to make the genre easier to play
    Is this really the case? I was under the impression that RPGs were constantly adding new bullshit mechanics so they could claim they had depth, when often they just made previously straightforeward tasks pains in the ass (aka the Chrono Cross syndrome)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Is this really the case? I was under the impression that RPGs were constantly adding new bullshit mechanics so they could claim they had depth, when often they just made previously straightforeward tasks pains in the ass (aka the Chrono Cross syndrome)
    When Final Fantasy 13 recommends that you use auto battle, that's kind of telling you something. Then the fact that it's point A to B the entire game and you may as well be watching a really shitty movie.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Yeah, I thought it was the average of four billion games released every year with the words "Final Fantasy" in the title that did it. Of course, it might have been the constant remakes, ports, and five dollar Square Enix tax on portable versions. We aren't sixteen and full of angst anymore either. While we're at it, zippers, Mass Effect, Persona and Elder Scrolls.

Whatver.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Many [of] Square Enix's other games have their own problems (read: Tetsuya Nomura).
    Quoted for truth. Tetsuya Nomura loves adding buckles and zippers to clothes so much, I wonder if he's ever successfully gotten to the toilet in time.

"Just... seven... more... buckles! Oh God, nine zippers? What was I thinking?!"