Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arcade Games That Were Significantly Changed on Home Consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Default Arcade Games That Were Significantly Changed on Home Consoles?

Sorry if the title is a bit confusing, but what I'm trying to figure out is what home versions of arcade games were SIGNIFICANTLY changed for their console release. I'm not talking about levels that were left out or watered down graphics, I mean major gameplay changes.

Take UN Squadron for example, not only were the levels altered, but they added a whole plane and pilot selection section (which makes it better than the arcade version IMHO). Did any other arcade games get 'enhanced' like this? I'm mostly interested in SNES and Genesis games.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Ninja Gaiden was originally a Tecmo brawler similar to Double Dragon.

While the LYNX version is very authentic, the NES version, not at all. Still wound up being a great game, but nothing like its namesake.

This also rings true for Bionic Commando and Strider on the NES.

Both had arcade versions that had similar game-play concepts/styles but beyond that were very different animals when compared 1:1 to the arcade versions.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Rygar & Bionic Commando for the NES. I like the arcade games but I LOVE the NES games. The NES games have more of an adventure feel to them.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Ninja Gaiden was originally a Tecmo brawler similar to Double Dragon.
    The arcade and Famicom games were developed at the same time by different teams so one doesn't originate from the other nor vice versa. Agreed that they are very different but there's a reason for this, I read of this instance in a recent issue of retroGAMER magazine.

My ante is Sega Rally 2. The change isn't so significant but the arcade game feels slow in comparison to the Dreamcast version, which is strange since the Dreamcast version doesn't run at a great framerate at all yet feels faster. PC is the same except solid 60fps.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    The arcade and Famicom games were developed at the same time by different teams so one doesn't originate from the other nor vice versa. Agreed that they are very different but there's a reason for this, I read of this instance in a recent issue of retroGAMER magazine.

My ante is Sega Rally 2. The change isn't so significant but the arcade game feels slow in comparison to the Dreamcast version, which is strange since the Dreamcast version doesn't run at a great framerate at all yet feels faster. PC is the same except solid 60fps.
    Interesting, but from the perspective of a gamer who witnessed the release of both - the arcade version was released first in the US, so historically one predates the other.

Regardless of their intent or explanation, one came before the other and both share a name and a main character.

ALSO, see this box art?

"Arcade Hit"

If that's not setting up expectations I don't know what is.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Off of the top of my head (and I'm going to reiterate some that were mentioned already so please excuse repetition):

1943: The Battle of Midway - Still a shooter, but the NES adds some "RPG Elements" that weren't in the arcade version--you can now add stats to your ship (upgraded by finding hidden things in stages) that change how much damage you give and take, how long your special weapons last and even what special weapons you can get. Also, it's hard to tell but it seems like the stage layouts are pretty different.

Bionic Commando - While keeping the same basic idea as the arcade game (guy with arm breaks into base, kills things) the NES version is more of a side-scrolling adventure game, with RPG elements (picking up enough of those little capsule things extends your life bar) and having to find certain weapons etc before you can access other areas, making it sorta Metroid-ish. Also, you can play top-view levels which are sorta similar to the original Commando. Also its got a completely different plot where you're a dude whose flying all around to different bases during World War II to rescue a POW, whereas in the arcade version you're just trying to get into one base.

Gradius III - In the SNES version, whole levels were removed while new ones were added in, and the Afterburner-esque bonus stage was removed entirely. The difficulty was supposedly also toned down.

Rygar - They did the same to this game that they did to Bionic Commando. The Arcade version was a straightforward side-scroller that seemingly went on forever, the NES version was a Metroid/Zelda thing.

Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi - Actually I'm not sure this counts, as the Sega Genesis version is basically a completely new game that, outside of the title and the same kind of controls and features, basically has nothing to do with the arcade version.

Shinobi - I don't think there has ever been a true-to-the-arcade port. All the console versions I've played have added a life bar to replace the situational one-hit kills of the arcade. The NES version also only lets you use Ninjutsu after you've killed a couple of enemies--meaning you can't use it on bosses at all.

Strider - The NES version got the same workover that Rygar and Bionic Commando did. Actually, I've heard this might've been a "two projects developed at the same time" deal similar to what an above poster described Ninja Gaiden as.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game - The NES version adds two levels and takes away the four-player mode (because it was undoable on the hardware).

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time - The SNES version adds a couple of levels and bosses, and again takes away the four-player mode.

That's all the ones I can say for sure. Anything beyond that would be just a guess on my part. Unless I think of something.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 09-28-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Marketing people live in their own little world. That aspect of the industry has never changed.

Rygar and Bionic Commando were already mentioned.... How about Contra?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post

Shinobi - I don't think there has ever been a true-to-the-arcade port. All the console versions I've played have added a life bar to replace the situational one-hit kills of the arcade. The NES version also only lets you use Ninjutsu after you've killed a couple of enemies--meaning you can't use it on bosses at
    The pc engine version is pretty accurate. It's the only one that really plays like the arcade game.

Iirc, nintendo also had a requirement in the NES days that 3rd party developers had to alter the gameplay from the arcade version to encourage people to buy the home port instead of just going to the arcade and paying a quarter. This is why Capcom and Konamis nes (and snes) ports may deviate a lot from the source material.

Gun.smoke and section z are other examples of radical redesigns for the home consoles. In japan these were both released on the disk system, so capcom may have just been trying to take advantage of the save feature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

ALSO, see this box art?

"Arcade Hit"

If that's not setting up expectations I don't know what is.
    Damn!! You're right! That was kinda crappy of Tecmo. I loved the NES version but I do remember being bummed that it was so far removed from the arcade version. I wanted to swing from signs and kick people with Jason masks in the face, dammit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Super Hang-On for the Sega Genesis adds a new career mode with upgradeable parts.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Contra (NES), more stages and music than its arcade counterpart.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Mingy Jongo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gyruss for the NES. It added new powerups, weapons, enemies, and bosses. Should have been called "Gyruss II" instead IMO.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's not a home console but Elevator Action for Gameboy is very different from the arcade version.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised Atari 2600 Pac-Man hasn't been mentioned yet. That's an example of "significantly changed from Arcade version" which is a really huge deal historically, for obvious reasons.

Another set of good examples would be -any- game named after a Laserdisc-based game in the pre-CD era such as NES/SNES Dragon's Lair and Space Ace or NES Cobra Command.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Contra "the famicom version" added cut scenes and animation put into for each stage.Not to mention,a map shows where you are afther you complete a stage.Then of coruse it having a ending for wich the arcade version lacked.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    I wanted to swing from signs and kick people with Jason masks in the face, dammit!
    It's funny how much of an impact those movies had on popular culture. They're 'hockey' masks, but I call them "Jason masks" as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Rygar

Man, I was so excited to play the NES games and .... I was let down and first and then I like it, But it still left me wanting the arcade game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Total Carnage on the GB - I'm pretty sure the only thing the game has in common is it is supposed to be Total Carnage. Then again I never made it past the 10 minute hump.

ESWAT on the Genesis - I'm not sure if it is just loosely based on the arcade or if it's actually a sequel. A lot is the same, a lot is different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Solar Fox for 2600 comes to mind, where they removed the ability to shoot entirely from the console version. I actually think it adds to the game to have no offensive capability.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Oh yeah, I finally thought of more that I'm surprised weren't mentioned yet:

Double Dragon - For the Atari 2600. Need I say more?

Double Dragon - For the NES. Removed co-op (added a fighting game mode, making it pretty ahead of its time), the levels are almost totally different, and now there's a "levelling up" feature. Oh, and the plot is slightly changed: now Jimmy Lee is a de-facto bad guy.

I'm not sure how Double Dragon 2 fared (never played the arcade) but...

Double Dragon III - NES version adds permadeath, and again I'm pretty sure the levels are all new. One notable feature from the arcade version was that you could buy powerups with credits, but of course the NES version removed this entirely. I can't remember if the "beating certain bosses turns them into playable characters" thing was present in the arcade version or not.

Did I miss anything?