Thread: Free game: Broken Sword Director's Cut at GOG.com (ends Oct. 1)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Free game: Broken Sword Director's Cut at GOG.com (ends Oct. 1)

To celebrate GOG's six million game downloads, they partnered up with Revolution Studios and are giving away a free copy of Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars until October 1st. This also includes a free copy of the original version! Both are Windows only.

Check it out. You have to sign up but you'll get a free copy if you "buy" the game so it's added to your library. There's also six other free games here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Got Broken Sword 2 and 3 during the Steam sale last year and now I'll finally be able to play them. Thanks for the heads up.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So what's different in this "Director's Cut"?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I wasn't aware that the director's cut was available on PC, I thought it was just on the Wii and DS(I have the DS version). I believe these versions have long been around $10 or so.

As for what's different in the director's cut version, there's an added chapter at the beginning where you play as Nico first before the story continues with the bombing at the cafe when George becomes involved. There's also some added puzzles in the game.

As much as I like Broken Sword, I didn't really find the director's cut adding much to what was already there. It just seemed tacked on and unnecessary. I don't want to spoil anything(though this game came out in 1996), but for one puzzle it involves getting a lens and putting it in a statue to view a hidden image in a stained glass window. They added a bit where instead of just using the lens with the statue, you have to focus the lens using slides before you can see the image. It just felt like filler, there really wouldn't be a need to focus anything as the lens was really just filtering out certain light to begin with, and how can you focus when there's only one lens and it's fixed in place? There were several added puzzles like this that felt poorly made.

This thread reminds me that I still have to play the other games in the series, I have physical copies of them but haven't got around to playing them yet. I'm not sure if I have the fourth game though, but I know I have the first three.

Junker Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

I got right in on that, though it's been over a decade since I played it. Can't wait to play it again!
    "Nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!" ~ Kefka