Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan aka The Lost Levels) the result of a depressed Miyamoto?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan aka The Lost Levels) the result of a depressed Miyamoto?

This article claims it to be. It is not the main thrust of the article, mind you, but it does mention Miyamoto's mental health at the time of development as an explanation for the game's insane difficulty:

"...in Steven L. Kent's The Ultimate History of Video Games, a Nintendo executive suggests that revered game designer Shigeru Miyamoto might have been "depressed at the time'" (http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...st_levels.html).

Just who was this Nintendo executive you ask? None other than Howard Phillips of "Howard and Nester" fame from the glory days of Nintendo Power (http://www.destructoid.com/miyamoto-...ve-47616.phtml).

The writer of the latter article suggests that Howard, always the jokester, was kidding but I wonder. What are your thoughts? Is the hyper difficulty of the true sequel to Super Mario Bros. the result of a creative melancholy that seeped into the design of the game, mirroring the hopelessness that tormented Miyamoto inside? God knows some of the levels tormented me at the very least...

Also, any other games that come to mind that are possibly influenced by an abnormal mental condition?
    Last edited by treismac; 09-29-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Howard Phillips is a dip shit, its well known they wanted to make a challenging Mario game because Japanese gamers demanded it after the first games success.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hear all the time that Japanese gamers love challenging games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYCollector View Post
    I hear all the time that Japanese gamers love challenging games.
    They should play some European games, then.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I should have been Japanese. SMB2j is so fun!
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Junker Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

I've always been jealous of the challenging games that Japan has to offer. Not only challenging, but usually overall better games. Like Tales of Phantasia of what I've been playing lately. I can't get off of it. But SMB2j is just a challenging sequel, probably nothing more than that. I like it as such!
    "Nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!" ~ Kefka

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I recall right, the official word is that Miyamoto did not have a direct hand in Lost Levels (Zelda came out that same year and Doki Doki Panic the year afterwards. They notably do not have the same kind of frustrations that Lost Levels has), and so much of the design was handled by the programmers themselves.

It may be interesting to point out how the relation between a game's designer and the programmers may affect a game's difficulty or even basic fairness. It appears that in many retro-age games, when the programmers controlled the game more, it led to gameplay mechanics that were more sadistic at times.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Also, any other games that come to mind that are possibly influenced by an abnormal mental condition?
    Anything involving Suda 51?
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Phillips, who was often right, was right on this account too. The US-SMB2 was big departure, and introduced the Princess and Toad and unique Luigi characters. Not to mention the graphical enhancement over the first game. I'm sure a small percentage of gamers would have enjoyed the added challenge of SMB2J, but 95% of the SMB1 gamer-base would have been furious with Lost Levels. SMB1 was still selling tons of copies by the time SMB2 came out here in 1988, mainly because it came with the system. SMB2 was a fun game, and particularly for Nintendo target audience, young teens and children, it was a huge hit. Could Lost Levels have sold 10 million copies? No way. Then to wait several years for the illustrious SMB3? I think Nintendo would have taken a bath if they released it, and never did SMB2-USA.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It seems to me that Lost Levels is more of an add on pack to Mario 1. The graphics and enemies are exactly the same. It seems all they did was continue to increase the difficulty from world 8 in Mario 1. Therefore World 1 in Lost Levels is more like world 9. And so on. That is kind of the way I look at it. Maybe the truth is they originally planned to Make the first Mario Bros. a much bigger game but decided to divide it into 2 games released a year apart? Mario 2 Japan / Lost Levels is a great game if you are an experienced, expert Mario 1 player. Even then it can be frustatingly difficult though. Still a great game though.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    If I recall right, the official word is that Miyamoto did not have a direct hand in Lost Levels (Zelda came out that same year and Doki Doki Panic the year afterwards. They notably do not have the same kind of frustrations that Lost Levels has), and so much of the design was handled by the programmers themselves.

It may be interesting to point out how the relation between a game's designer and the programmers may affect a game's difficulty or even basic fairness. It appears that in many retro-age games, when the programmers controlled the game more, it led to gameplay mechanics that were more sadistic at times.
    I think that's just more a reflection of why we need designers in general. Programmers are very smart people, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have any sense when it comes to creative, artistic ideas and what makes a game fun. We should be very thankful that we now almost always have separate people for design, art, music, programming, etc.

Anyway, there are tons of games that are a lot more difficult than the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2, so if Miyamoto, or anyone else involved in the project, wanted to torment players, they could've definitely gone much farther. Just look at all that "Asshole Mario" stuff.

As for other people working on games in a depressed state, I do know that Motoi Sakuraba, while composing for Valkyrie Profile, was put into a depression because of the nature of the game, so that influenced his songs.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They probably figured most players were already masters of the first Mario game, so they produced a game that challenged their skills. I would think if depression was involved, the game would have came out more dark, as opposed to difficult.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    The graphics and enemies are exactly the same.
    No the ground and trees have different sprites, as do the mushrooms.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

My therapist once told me that only the abnormal are able to do great things, and in the art-world it's not that uncommon that great artists are a little cracking. The world doesn't change because everything is normal, it doesn't make any sense either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by aryoshi View Post
    I've always been jealous of the challenging games that Japan has to offer. Not only challenging, but usually overall better games. Like Tales of Phantasia of what I've been playing lately.
    I hope it's the translated PSX version.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would think it was laziness more than anything. SMB2J is basically just a much more difficult version of SMB1.

Junker Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    I hope it's the translated PSX version.
    It is not, but the SNES version. I was never fond of PSX RPGs, be it port or original.
    "Nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!" ~ Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by aryoshi View Post
    It is not, but the SNES version. I was never fond of PSX RPGs, be it port or original.
    Not only is the PSX version said to be generally superior, but it is still sufficiently similar to the SNES original that I do not see how you can draw a distinction between it being a "PSX RPG" and the original being a "SNES RPG". But we're getting off-topic.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

In the interview Nintendo Player conducted with the man behind Captain Nintendo, he remarked...

[Sidebar: I promised that I would explain the chief reason that existing games in Japan are altered for American audiences. Games are made easier for American audiences. I was told by the Japanese management that games must be made easier for American audiences for a couple of reasons. “American game players do not have the skills to defeat a game at the difficulty level set for Japanese game players. American game players also do not have the patience. They insist that the game is at least defeatable at some point. Japanese game players do NOT require this. Many games released in Japan cannot be defeated. Japanese game players love that!” There was no attempt by the Japanese management to hide their contempt at having to make games easier for American audiences. To me, that just implies: “Since we don’t have the design skills to incorporate longevity into the game through creative design and gameplay, we just increase the difficulty level so that the player must take longer to finish it. If he never finishes it, that is the greatest longevity of all.” It’s not the inadequacy of us “spoiled” American gameplayers; it is the inadequacy of the designer to design properly for his audience. People make all kinds of excuses when they are found inadequate. So the Japanese equated difficulty with quality. While this may just be a cultural difference, I can never support the idea that a game cannot be defeated. If all you can do is “show up and take damage,” you are not playing a game. You are marking time. BIG difference. You cannot measure progress. You cannot feel a sense of accomplishment. Likely, you cannot feel a sense of satisfaction. If the Japanese game players don’t mind plunking down their $60 for this, God love them. Taking the liberty of speaking on behalf of my fellow American game players: We want—check that—we DEMAND more for our mom’s hard-earned money.]

Full story here, but I'm sure a lot of us have read it at some point.

Personally Super Mario Bros. 2 is my all the favorite Mario game, simply because it gave life to the world. You could go places and do things, loop back around a pop out in different parts of a level going a completely different way. You had to utilize enemies and tools to progress through different challenges. There were different ways to go about completing different tasks. Quite a change from a scrolling obstacle course that the original was, and all Mario games since are better for it.

EDIT: Italics added, makes it harder to read but easier to keep in mind that these are not my words.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 10-02-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried Lost levels on the SNES way back and got stuck on world 7-something, imo its good they kept it in Japan, it was just wayyyy to hard for being a Mario game. And it wasn't a huge departure from Mario 1 either [outside of adding a few new ways to kill you]. The version of Mario 2 that we did get [and I loved as a kid] was different enough from Mario 1 that it stood out, you could complete the maps in several different ways and could take your time doing it, and you could use items to kill monsters etc. For the time it came out it was original compared to most other titles and still AAA gameplay wise.