Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games that killed Franchises?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Silent Hill 4: The Room. The franchise never recovered, and probably never will again. Having Western developers design the next installment didn't help matters any, either.

And I couldn't agree more about Phantasy Star Online. The success of PSO meant SEGA would never invest resources creating another single player Phantasy Star RPG.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Silent Hill 4: The Room. The franchise never recovered, and probably never will again. Having Western developers design the next installment didn't help matters any, either.

And I couldn't agree more about Phantasy Star Online. The success of PSO meant SEGA would never invest resources creating another single player Phantasy Star RPG.
    Right, but they're still around and games still get made. It just killed it for you, not for others.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I think that Splatterhouse 2010 killed all hope for a conclusion to its story. People clamored for years for a new SH and while I was personally very pleased overall; the general reception was so abysmal that I have doubt about ever seeing another one. Namco abondoning the game shortly before its release didn't help any either though.

Another series I think that is dead is Golden Axe. Not that it had much life left in it but Beast Rider sealed its fate. As an aside; its interesting that a significant portion of this thread is in relation to games that have Sega somewhere in the details no?
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    Right, but they're still around and games still get made. It just killed it for you, not for others.
    Seriously? They actually sold some of those shit shingles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actraiser 2 was a series killer. It's not a bad game, but it's hard as hell and omits the hybrid gameplay that made the original game so charming and unique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    Another series I think that is dead is Golden Axe. Not that it had much life left in it but Beast Rider sealed its fate. As an aside; its interesting that a significant portion of this thread is in relation to games that have Sega somewhere in the details no?
    Everything that came after the original has been a disappointment.
    Space Harrier, Alien Syndrome, and Altered Beast got shafted as well.
    It's gotten to the point that I'd rather see fanmade remakes and sequels to Sega's games than anything official.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Let's face it, SEGA doesn't know how to handle their IPs from their Golden Age for shit. Sonic is whored out, and everything else has gotten one or two sequels MAX on a recent console, if it's not being outright ignored. See:

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
    Sega Rally
    Virtua Fighter
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Jet Set Radio Future
    Outrun 2
    Phantasy Star Online
    Golden Axe: Beast Rider
    Altered Beast (PS2)

And lets not forget Ecco, any Sega Sports franchise, Streets of Rage, Vectorman, Eternal Champions, Comix Zone, Sega is sitting on tons upon tons of useable IPs that won't go anywhere because they're simply forgotten about. I suppose it's for the better, that means we don't have to see the Sonic treatment and get 4000 shitty sequels.

As for everything else, usually the companies have gone bust or the games have just sucked, a la TJ&E3 or Banjo and Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually liked Outrun 2 and PDO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I haven't played any of the others listed, but OutRun2 is fantastic, and Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future were both great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reading through it again, I don't think he meant those were all bad games, just series that got lacklustre sequels or were neglected entirely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Actraiser 2 was a series killer. It's not a bad game, but it's hard as hell and omits the hybrid gameplay that made the original game so charming and unique.
    Good one, I agree completely.

I'd nominate Twisted metal III, which is right when 989 Studios took over. I've actually seen new publishers kill many series, as it happened to one of my favorites...

When EA took over Westwood Studios and Command and Conquer. It was never the same afterwards. I actually enjoyed a bit of C&C Generals made by EA, but I'd say the series lost me at Red Alert 3 or C&C 4, whichever one was first. Both were garbage and I'll never buy another.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    When EA took over Westwood Studios and Command and Conquer. It was never the same afterwards. I actually enjoyed a bit of C&C Generals made by EA, but I'd say the series lost me at Red Alert 3 or C&C 4, whichever one was first. Both were garbage and I'll never buy another.
    It's the same thing with when EA took over Origin, and Ultima & Wing Commander sucked it up ever after. Looks like this is exactly what happened with Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun.

I do have to begrudgingly admit, however, that C&C: Renegade was an apt swan song for Westwood Studios and the series as a whole. The campaign mode was very competent - what made it extremely fun IMO was the ability to see the world of the original C&C from the first person perspective (there's one moment where the 2D map transforms into the 3D FPS which was awesome...Youtube is crapping out on me or I'd find it and link to it; think it was the first or second mission). Then, towards the end of the campaign, you drive a mammoth tank and start tearing things up in the final assault on Kain's temple - it's a pretty memorable gaming experience. The multiplayer online mode got bogged down by too many cheats that EA never bothered fixing, but early on it was an amazing team-based competitive FPS - maybe the best I've ever played, to be honest, with a great balance between 3rd-person vehicular combat and FPS.

All that was done while EA owned Westwood, so I can't say their track record is 100% bad. Just mostly bad.
    Last edited by calthaer; 10-04-2011 at 09:56 AM.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's hilarious that there's all this talk about rebooting older franchises from Sega, and they just announced this sweepstakes: http://blogs.sega.com/2011/10/03/seg...ame-that-game/

Name the game the song is from and you get the chance to win it. I won't spoil it for those of you who want to test your mettle

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strider Returns. I know they came out with Strider 2 years later, and it's a game I like, but Capcom had the chance to develop the franchise into something huge back in the early '90s. It was one of the most successful arcade games of all time, and then they decided to farm out the property to some European developer that made an awful sequel. IIRC they didn't even publish the game in the US

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSerpico View Post
    Strider Returns. I know they came out with Strider 2 years later, and it's a game I like, but Capcom had the chance to develop the franchise into something huge back in the early '90s. It was one of the most successful arcade games of all time, and then they decided to farm out the property to some European developer that made an awful sequel. IIRC they didn't even publish the game in the US
    Actually it did get released in the States. It was developed by Tiertex who also made their own Street Fighter knockoff called Human Killing Machine. They must have a knack for butchering Capcom franchises.

I guess I'd throw Clay Fighter 63 and a 1/3rd in there, but it's not like the Clay Fighter series was critically acclaimed to begin with.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    It's hilarious that there's all this talk about rebooting older franchises from Sega, and they just announced this sweepstakes: http://blogs.sega.com/2011/10/03/seg...ame-that-game/

Name the game the song is from and you get the chance to win it. I won't spoil it for those of you who want to test your mettle
    Worst contest I've seen in awhile, the grand prize is a digital download. Not worth having your last name plastered all over their blog.

(5) First Prizes – Ten (10) winners will be randomly selected and each will receive a FREE digital download of the game (in the PlayStation® 3 format) associated with the song correctly named in the contest, Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) $10. The prize will be fulfilled as a code, which the winner will use to unlock the game on his/her console using an Internet connection. There are a total of ten (10) prizes with a total ARV of all prizes of $100. The odds of winning depend upon the total number of eligible entries received.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Dear thread: Toejam & Earl III is awesome, and stands as one of the best examples ever of how to take an old franchise into 3D. It combines elements of both previous games while also being it's own thing, and is very much a strong entry in the series for me. I'd rate it above 2. I really hope we get that 4 player co-op title some year.

also hilarious thing: spellchecker wants to change "Toejam" into tomatoes, how fitting.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I really need to go back to TJ&E 3 and finish it. I just wish it was on the BC list for the 360
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Junker Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    There are also franchises that are dead to some people and not others, like Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy VII was the beginning of the end for the "Final Fantasy ended at VI" crowd. Obviously not for most people, though.
    I agree, it does depend on the person in some cases. I'm actually one of those people that hated Final Fantasy VII and every entry after it, but adored VI and all before it. I think when Sonic went 3D is when it started to die out for me, SA 1 and 2 were pretty good but after that, it just went way downhill from there. And Zelda, I really stopped caring about it when Windwaker came out.

I also do agree about what one user said about EA taking over Westwood and practically destroying Command & Conquer, they totally butchered it. I grew up playing that game and loved it to death back when Westwood was making them, but wow EA killed it.

Reading through I actually didn't notice anyone mention anything about Castlevania, not that I saw anyway, I could be mistaken. But after Symphony of the Night came out, it really started to die off, there were a couple of good ones here and there but basically they just turned the series into Devil May Cry/God of War clones. Sad, they really had something going for awhile. Though, Castlevania's always been looked at by me as a classic, I always recognize it for the first 4 and those'll always be the ones that defined the series to me.
    "Nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!" ~ Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Dear thread: Toejam & Earl III is awesome, and stands as one of the best examples ever of how to take an old franchise into 3D. It combines elements of both previous games while also being it's own thing, and is very much a strong entry in the series for me. I'd rate it above 2. I really hope we get that 4 player co-op title some year.

also hilarious thing: spellchecker wants to change "Toejam" into tomatoes, how fitting.
    It might be awesome, but it killed the franchise. I think part of the problem was choosing the Xbox as the platform. Had it been released on the PS2 it probably would have done much better.

I heard it was originally going to be a DC game, that would have been a nice send off.
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Count me as one of the "Final Fantasy VII was the end of the FF series" crowd. But honestly I didn't think FFVI was all that great as well. Of course I played and finished it completely, but was ultimately left feeling a little dissatisfied (unlike after playing FF1/ US FF2)