Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

Default Interesting Final Boss Music

This is a topic I've been considering for quite a while. As it normally stands in video games, you smash your way to the end to come face to face with a final boss. When that time comes, the final boss most often has special music accompanying the fight. I'm trying to figure out how many games play with this idea and play the hero's theme instead of playing a standard final boss theme, or otherwise play with the idea of final boss music being used elsewhere in the game. So, yes, this thread will have plenty of spoilers.

Some of the most memorable examples I can remember include the following:

Double Dragon's final boss having the title screen music, which is often titled "Roar of The Double Dragons" if I am not mistaken.

Sonic Adventure plays "Open Your Heart" during the first half of the Perfect Chaos battle, which is not technically Sonic's theme but does play during the title screen demo.

Sonic Colors has a remixed version of Reach For The Stars playing during the second phase of the final boss, which is also the main theme to the game during the intro.

Dragon Force's final battle has the title screen music playing as you fight Madruk.

If anyone can think of anything else, I'd like to hear it.
    Last edited by MrSmiley381; 10-07-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I love this idea for a thread. Let's add in youtube links if at all possible so we can all listen to the songs together.

For me, the most memorable tracks I can think of

the king of ALL end videogame boss themes is undesputetely Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy 6. This 16 minute + arrangement is the dictionary definition of epic. For anyone who played through FF3/6, this theme is by far the one they remember the most.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXVNKtmWnc

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island final battle with Giant Baby Bowser
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9THf5QlXuyo

Megaman 6 Final Wily battle theme
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTOLgOZQO30

King K Rool Theme from Donkey Kong Country
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqBS...eature=related

Giana Sisters DS Boss theme
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPyork05F0I

Megaman Network Transmission Legendary Pharaoh Man theme with homage to the Megaman 4 original theme!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6inlAav5K4

I'll leave it there for now.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    the king of ALL end videogame boss themes is undesputetely Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy 6. This 16 minute + arrangement is the dictionary definition of epic. For anyone who played through FF3/6, this theme is by far the one they remember the most.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXVNKtmWnc
    Just wanted to say I'd forgotten how epic this track is.

From what I remember (been over 15 years for me) you'd get through most of it before that battle was over, too.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Earthbound - Gigyas

What the heck was that?
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, this topic is kinda failing since nobody is reading what the actual question is. :/

But I did, and the first thing that comes to mind is how in Castlevania IV, during the final segment of the battle against Dracula, the music changes to Simon Belmont's theme. It definitely pumps up the excitement of the fight. I agree, it is really cool to fight a final battle with a dramatic, heroic theme for the playable character rather than a sinister song aimed to capture the spirit of the enemy (not that the latter's songs can't be good). It's also nice when they go full circle and reuse or build off of a theme from the title screen or the like.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    Earthbound - Gigyas

What the heck was that?
    Actually, what the heck is THIS?

I'd like to mention Gitaroo Man's final battle theme "Resurrection". Because the game is of course a rhythm game the music to the final battle is key. It's so epic and really kind of uplifting that throughout the entire battle it gives you this sort of "I can do it!" feeling. The song itself is very difficult (in terms of gameplay) but it's not a typical sort of "scary" boss battle theme. It's interesting to me because normally final boss music is (while maybe epic) pretty tense and honestly it sometimes seems like the music is on the boss's side but this song doesn't come off to me as that. Also, the game never makes it clear whether "Resurrection" serves as a theme for the boss OR the main character.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Well, this topic is kinda failing since nobody is reading what the actual question is. :/

But I did, and the first thing that comes to mind is how in Castlevania IV, during the final segment of the battle against Dracula, the music changes to Simon Belmont's theme. It definitely pumps up the excitement of the fight. I agree, it is really cool to fight a final battle with a dramatic, heroic theme for the playable character rather than a sinister song aimed to capture the spirit of the enemy (not that the latter's songs can't be good). It's also nice when they go full circle and reuse or build off of a theme from the title screen or the like.
    You know, I love that boss battle and still somehow managed to forget it in my original post. I feel almost ashamed.

During the second part of the Lavos fight you can hear a bit of the title theme playing, occasionally breaking through the rest of the song. Why? Because the heroes are the only people that can break through the power that is Lavos, and only after great difficulty and trial.
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

One Winged Angel was pretty freaking awesome when I first got to it. I guess if you didn't play through it at launch the mp3s/etc of the internet will have jaded you to it.

I love a great final boss fight, particularly with some really epic music playing.

Though not really a "fight" the end sequence of Shadowgate/final room was pretty great for me too. I don't want to read this thread too much though lest something be spoiled for me

Also, Super Metroid had an absolutely FUCK YEAH EAT IT YOU BASTARD sequence at the end.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys can't fucking read.

-GoTaS

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason I want to say Frog, at some point, during Chrono Trigger. But I think it always plays Magus' music when you fight him. Still, I remember hearing Frog's music a lot and maybe... not sure though.

This is a good topic -- I know there are more out there where the hero music plays...

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Talking I Can Haz a State Mint?

This thread has reading comprehension failures. It is endemic to the forum. Reading full posts before responding, we hardly knew ye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first one I thought of was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KXI5o70Sd0

In the Genesis version of Spider-Man Vs. Kingpin the main theme music(that comes on when you load up the game) is playing during the last stage, including the last boss fight between you and the Kingpin.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

Many final boss music can vary to silently eerie to epic to insanely awesome music

I have a lot of choices of final boss music but I will settle for this one for now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2OGYMSfDfM

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

The closest I can think of is how the final stage of Mega Man II for Game Boy had the game's upbeat title theme playing in the background, as if to say "Dr. Wily is ahead. Kick his sorry butt"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if the topic creator wanted hero theme music for the boss battles, the title shouldve been
    hero music in boss battles?
    meoooooowers

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

Quote Originally Posted by kafa111 View Post
    if the topic creator wanted hero theme music for the boss battles, the title shouldve been
    hero music in boss battles?
    It wasn't just hero music. I asked for anything that toyed with the idea of standard final boss music. Honestly, Kefka would fit if only because that was probably the first boss whose song went so long and was designed as a multiple-movement piece. As for some of the other thread content, well, I do wish people had read my first post in full.

In the interim I also thought of Ikaruga's final boss music, which is just a mix of the level one music designed to sound a little less hopeful and a lot more overpowering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thunder Force V final boss has a remake of "The Justice Ray" from Thunder Force IV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Depends if you really consider the title music to be the hero's music. Super Mario World had many variations on the same tune up to and including the final fight, but none are really "Mario's Theme"

As to reading, not everyone is going to follow rigid patterns of discussion guys, lighten up
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

MrSmiley381 sorry for crapping over your initial post by not reading (everyone followed suit after my post) but there's no reason we can't discuss all aspects of awesome final boss music.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/