Thread: Shining Force fans, I wanna know something

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Shining Force fans, I wanna know something

I'm wondering: What exactly is Khris? Does her race/species have a name or is she just "little girl who looks like a deer for whatever reason"?

It would be interesting to know if there was ever a sourcebook or something that went into detail about all the different races and species that seem to populate the Shining games.

EDIT: I have another question too: Is there any reason (besides pure collectorism) to get the Game Gear games if you already have/plan on getting Shining Force CD? I've heard there are differences, but I'd like more certain information.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 10-08-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Here's a little blurb on her from Moogie's guide (from Shining Force Central):Her race is uncertain. The Japanese game manual lists her as a Kyantoru, which I seem to recall once hearing is a kind of half-deer. She certainly looks it... but if you know better, please do let me know!

"Her race is uncertain. The Japanese game manual lists her as a Kyantoru, which I seem to recall once hearing is a kind of half-deer. She certainly looks it... but if you know better, please do let me know!"

http://sf1.shiningforcecentral.com/shining_force.html
    Last edited by Natty Bumppo; 10-08-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Ummm... if we have a canon document that states her race in no uncertain terms, then how is her race "uncertain?"

The manual calls her a Kyantoru. Sounds pretty open-and-shut to me.

Sounds like I need to brush up on my Japanese and get that version if there's more mythology tidbits like this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Game Gear games on the Shining Force CD for Sega CD have been upgraded with far better graphics and music. There are also two other unlockables games... one is a battle between you and every boss you encountered, one after another.

It's a shame the 3rd Game Gear game was never localized. There is some issue with the ROM that has made translation difficult... all you get text-wise is a bunch of gibberish.

!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Looking up "kyantoru", it appears to be a made-up term. I know the word for "deer" in Japanese is "shika", so I don't think the race has anything to do with deers. Looking up "kyantoru" in Google, I got this:

http://shining.wikia.com/wiki/Kyantol

Says that now the official romanization is "Cantaur", which makes sense. It also says that they're canine-based humanoids, which also makes sense too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe it has always been 'Cantaur', but it came out 'Kyantoru' because of the phonetic way that Japanese pronounce words.