Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downloading game vs. buying disc on PS3 ??

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I agree and I always get the disc version, even if it means importing the European version, but ultimately, even recorded disc media will fail, so the idea that any of these things are permanent is foolish.
    When will this start happening, exactly?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I have a few CD-Rs and DVD-Rs from a few years back that have already rotted away.

I go through all my backup discs every couple of years because of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I have a few CD-Rs and DVD-Rs from a few years back that have already rotted away.

That can't be the norm for all optical media though, or most discs were already be corrupted. I have audio CD's from the 80's (the ones that were thick and heavy) that still work fine, and several CD-roms that are over 20 years old, and I've never lost anything yet that I'm aware of. I'm wondering when I can expect disc rot to do it's thing.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

That can't be the norm for all optical media though, or most discs were already be corrupted. I have audio CD's from the 80's (the ones that were thick and heavy) that still work fine, and several CD-roms that are over 20 years old, and I've never lost anything yet that I'm aware of. I'm wondering when I can expect disc rot to do it's thing.
    I suspect that burned optical media has a different (likely shorter) lifespan than pressed optical media when both are maintained in ideal conditions, no?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No one really knows for sure, but it's a safe bet that playing games that were bought on physical media (not typically laden with DRM) thirty years from now will be easier than playing downloaded games (often laden with DRM) fifteen years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post

Pressed discs are far more robust then recordable discs. With that said, quality, fresh CD-R and DVD-R media should hold their contents for more then a few years.

More information on the lifespan of optical media can be found here http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub121abst.html

Parts 4 and 5 are the relevant sections.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Like Frankie said, recordable media has a much shorter lifespan than pressed media. The disc manufacturing quality also plays a hand in how long the media will last.

Also, I've bought several CDs from the 1980's and 1990's that already show signs of bitrot / degradation. You can see pinprick holes if you hold them up to a light. A -lot- of MCA CDs seem to have that problem. One of my favorite albums, which only had a throwaway CD pressing, has rot, and I've never found a replacement copy anywhere. That's why I always copy my music to FLAC after I buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Thank god they keep all these options and programs simple and uncomplicated so we don't need to ask questions like this.

*whew*
    It'a all pretty simple actually.

Physical Game
    -Disc Addon

Download Game
    -Download Addon

Playstation Plus is basically a discount and loyalty program, you don't need it to get online or use any of the services currently available on PSN. It does not function like an Xbox Live Gold Account therefore calling it PSN Gold only serves to confuse people. (not directed at quoted text)

I prefer a physical copy, largely because of the Victorian broadband connection I have where I live and also because of the fact my 60GB PS3 has filled up so fast with patches I simply can't afford to give space to a 5GB game (or larger, which I believe the aforementioned RE5 is).
    Unless you are just completely attached to that hard drive get rid of it and install a larger drive. I've been using a 500 gig drive in my PS3 for years now. It takes less then 5 minutes to actually install, does not void your warranty, and their is a transfer system for transferring your saved games, downloads, movies, etc. I'm not sure about the slims but the fat PS3 even had instructions on how to do this in the manual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always prefer buying more modern games on disc cuz they take too long to download and they take up too much room on your drive. Also if you're drive craps out, you have to redownload it again. I only buy cheap, older retro games to download.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think everyone already covered the advantages of each but for me I always prefer having a physical copy. That way if the game sucks(like MAG does) I can sell it to get rid of.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.