Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Netflix email

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Interesting Netflix email

Just got this email from Netflix. A good decision and glad to hear they are listening to their customers.

-----------------------------------

It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.

While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.

We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS.

We value you as a member, and we are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows.

Respectfully,

The Netflix Team

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Are they still going to use Qwikster for video games?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Are they still going to use Qwikster for video games?
    Sounds like they're done making any changes for the foreseeable future.

No more price hikes, no Quikster and (unless they say otherwise) no games (but of course they may very well say otherwise to that at some point in the future).
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Hmm I don't see how two websites for 2 different operations would be confusing. To me it sounds like they will be offering games using Netflix name instead of separate qwickster entity. I don't think they would go back on the game idea that's were the competition is going. Unless they thing they can make up for it with all the extra content. I wish they would put more new releases. I'm not really into renting games anyways.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seems like there c.e.o. needs to get icked to the curb. It seems like he has no idea what he's doing.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Lanzo View Post
    Hmm I don't see how two websites for 2 different operations would be confusing. To me it sounds like they will be offering games using Netflix name instead of separate qwickster entity. I don't think they would go back on the game idea that's were the competition is going. Unless they thing they can make up for it with all the extra content. I wish they would put more new releases. I'm not really into renting games anyways.
    I think its more about convience then it is confusion. I could deal with two passwords, que systems, websites, and even two bills but I want two considering the current service does just fine. I really think that bullshit "apology" along with the price increase and other netflix issues lately made this the worst time to do something like this..but they went along with it anyway.

I think what they were trying to do was split the services to negotiate seperate licensing contracts for each service because from what I understand they would effectively be two companies and thats the only real reason I can think of for trying this.

I use netflix mostly for watching older shows I missed while on or documentaries and am interested in a game service depending on what they offer and how much. I am personally ok with paying 30 bucks a month for netflix considering its brought down my dvd costs to next to nothing
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 10-11-2011 at 06:02 AM. Reason: typing on a tablet that decided not to include arrow keys sucks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlemmon View Post
    Seems like there c.e.o. needs to get icked to the curb. It seems like he has no idea what he's doing.
    No, he was a smart... of course the rich got richer. Him and several other people within the company started selling their stock 2 months back before this change, when it was $300.

They make the change, the stock plummets to $100 and the faithful investors in the company just lost 66% of their worth, unless they cashed out earlier at smaller losses.

You can kick the CEO to the curb, but the millions he made are already locked in.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rebranding when not in your interest is harmful, just the same as not rebranding when it is. The Qwikster rebrand was a push move. If it was revolutionary, it would have had a much higher chance to be accepted and successful. It wasn't. Mostly, successful rebranding moves are motivated by pull/demand realignment.

Netflix isn't a Nintendo or Apple, that's for sure.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What's fucking hilarious is you still see articles written by people PAID to write articles that still bitch about "the price hike." Netflix screwed the pooch by not being honest with folks and saying "it's costing us more to give you the same stuff."

Now they'll get to wallow in this crap for forever. It'll be 2021 and you'll still be hearing "that damn Netflix price hike of 2011. Those bastards!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While the real world swaps over to Amazon streaming or something similarly sensible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    While the real world swaps over to Amazon streaming or something similarly sensible.
    Despite all of the bad press and the vocal minority of people who like to get upset over small shit, plenty of us aren't going anywhere any time soon. Netflix is available on every device in and outside of my house that has an internet connection. When you can match that with a reasonable price and better selection, then we'll be interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I was just referring to your 2021 projection mostly... No judging.

I'm a Hulu free-rider (ad-rider to be more accurate) myself ATM. Since they still ad you on Plus, outside of movies, I figured the incentive to pay just isn't there for me. Once I get around to actually owning a smartphone, tablet and home devices that access streaming, that's when I'll be shopping a pay-to-stream service. My outlook and current thinking makes Amazon look appealing, since Prime is starting to look like a "why don't I have this yet" deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

im done with them.....got rid of them a month ago...online and redbox is 100 times cheaper

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Rebranding when not in your interest is harmful, just the same as not rebranding when it is. The Qwikster rebrand was a push move. If it was revolutionary, it would have had a much higher chance to be accepted and successful. It wasn't. Mostly, successful rebranding moves are motivated by pull/demand realignment.

Netflix isn't a Nintendo or Apple, that's for sure.
    Dead on. Great analysis.

To me, the Qwukster thing would be like Nintendo saying that they were going to spin off their portable business and call that company Pwortabel Consoles. All the years of branding they had built in would be squandered, and for what? Netflix had / has a solid name, rebranding for rebranding sake when the service is going to be the exact same is just stupid.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    im done with them.....got rid of them a month ago...online and redbox is 100 times cheaper
    Look at me, playing devil's advocate... but a Redbox machine holds how many different movie titles? I like Redbox as a service and have used them, but more often than not, I flip through it and find nothing I want to watch.

goatdan, your analogy doesn't work because Nintendo's "console" and "portable" business are exactly alike. You design hardware, develop for it, and support it. Machine A or machine B doesn't really matter, because it's the exact same thing with just a different letter.

Shipping/receiving thousands of DVDs a day and securing/streaming video are very different businesses.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    Dead on. Great analysis.

To me, the Qwukster thing would be like Nintendo saying that they were going to spin off their portable business and call that company Pwortabel Consoles. All the years of branding they had built in would be squandered, and for what? Netflix had / has a solid name, rebranding for rebranding sake when the service is going to be the exact same is just stupid.
    I tend to believe the analysts who suggested the split was intended to make the streaming-only Netflix a takeover target, possibly by Amazon. Amazon wouldn't want the DVD part of the business because all those disc mailing centers would cause them unwanted tax headaches by establishing physical presence in many states. Amazon probably told Netflix "no deal" so there was no need to go ahead with the split.

That being said, when I signed up for Netflix 8 years ago, I got the 3-at-a-time plan for $18/month. Now, the exact same service costs me $16, and I can get my streaming elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
    I tend to believe the analysts who suggested the split was intended to make the streaming-only Netflix a takeover target, possibly by Amazon. Amazon wouldn't want the DVD part of the business because all those disc mailing centers would cause them unwanted tax headaches by establishing physical presence in many states. Amazon probably told Netflix "no deal" so there was no need to go ahead with the split.

That being said, when I signed up for Netflix 8 years ago, I got the 3-at-a-time plan for $18/month. Now, the exact same service costs me $16, and I can get my streaming elsewhere.
    I think that's very probable. They definitely aren't being very public about what's really going on there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's interesting... In that case, they would obviously have to divide the business under the legal protections, corporate crap (explains the rebrand) and create a whole separate corporate entity to do the transfer. What a headache.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    Despite all of the bad press and the vocal minority of people who like to get upset over small shit, plenty of us aren't going anywhere any time soon. Netflix is available on every device in and outside of my house that has an internet connection. When you can match that with a reasonable price and better selection, then we'll be interested.
    This this a million times this.

Netflix is compatible with everything these days. Everything, my toaster, literally everything.

It's that persistence and saturation along with the above stated reasonable price tiers that is going to continue to provide Netflix with the opportunity to remain the top dog unless A.) They do something catastrophically stupid to their own business (which it sounds like they narrowly avoided) or B.) Somebody else comes along and does everything better at a more affordable price (which, at the present time and even in the future I can't see happening in an "overnight" scenario).

Gripes like limited/poor selection on instant streaming will become less of an issue as time goes on as more studios become less resistant to making more of their catalogs available for the medium and permitted closer to the date of the DVD/Blu-Ray release. I've already seen marketing tags "available on DVD, Blu-Ray and Streaming".

And, where gripes about the selection are concerned, I think it's often an issue of personal taste misconstrued for "poor selection" for most users as Netflix currently offers THOUSANDS more TV and Movie titles streaming than most cable on demand services (or all of them put together) on any given day.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Netflix is compatible with everything these days. Everything, my toaster, literally everything.
    Pics?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.