Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BigPapaHusker
    PSN
    BigPapaHusker

Default Game Stores in Detroit

I'm heading to Detroit this weekend and was curious if there were any good game stores up there. If there are any Detroit members on here, do they Gamestops up there throw away DS cases? They do in the stores in Nebraska/Iowa/Kansas, but I was in Columbus, OH 6 months ago and all of them still sold used DS games with cases and manuals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Last I checked the local Gamestops still have cases for their DS games. There are a LOT of Gamestops around here, though.

There's a few good places to stop for game hunting in the suburbs, though I'm not sure about Detroit proper...

Destiny Games in Canton is probably the best place I've seen around here as far as an independent store front goes. Good selection of stuff from throughout the eras, and decent enough pricing. There's also Gamers Ave. in Garden City, which is attached to Game Yard, a LAN gaming center. They've got a good array of classic games as well. Both places are on Ford road, in the western suburbs.

Downriver, Taylortown on Ecorse road in Taylor is a pretty sweet flea market with three or four booths dedicated to video games - mainly classic ones. You can find some decent deals there as well. I understand that another game shop down here is relocating into Taylor but I'm not sure if they've reopened yet.

If you go into the northern suburbs I know of Flip Side Records in Clawson, which has a section for classic video games. Good prices on some of the stuff, as well.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll mention Destiny Games again If you go to Detroit area for IKEA, it's the same plaza but keep driving toward the end.

http://www.destiny-games.com/

I can't believe people still have Gamestop in mind.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a booth at Dixieland Flea Market in Waterford, where amongst other things, I sell games. I have a few hundred games, nothing to write home about. However, I am one of like 4 game vendors in the building. If you're in the area, it might be worth your time.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ilkhan2001's Avatar
    From Rhode Island, but moved to the quiet rural community of Mullins, SC. City boy, country livin'!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ilkhan2001
    PSN
    ilkhan2001

I work for Gamestop here in SC. We don't throw away cases for DS here, but we did stop making those horrible homemade case arts for games brought in without their cases. I know how you feel. I will NOT buy a game without its case and book. (and I'm overly attracted to ANYTHING "collector's edition"...even a game like Prey...)
    Life is too short to play crappy games, but it won't stop me from collecting all of them!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fuck Gamestop. It's all about Destiny Games, one of my regular haunts. It's by far the best game store I've visited.

Support your independent game shops.
    Last edited by Cornelius Spunkwater; 10-11-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) theredlineboss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    Downriver, Taylortown on Ecorse road in Taylor is a pretty sweet flea market with three or four booths dedicated to video games - mainly classic ones. You can find some decent deals there as well.
    +1 on Taylortown - I've picked up quite a bit from there over the last couple of years.

-Rob
    Console Collection:
    TeleGames Super Pong, 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Intellivision, ColecoVision, TurboGrafx, 3DO, Master System, Genesis/ CD/ 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game Gear, Lynx, GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, DS, 3DS, NGP, NGPC, WonderSwan & PSP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrownedAmoeba
    PSN
    Bigj420

There's also gibralter. One in Taylor and one in mt clemens. Pretty decent flea markets. You have to pay 2.00 to get in though.
    I collect Intellivision, Genesis, GBA, Virtual Boy and N64. PM me if you have a z64 for sale or trade.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BigPapaHusker
    PSN
    BigPapaHusker

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post
    Fuck Gamestop. It's all about Destiny Games, one of my regular haunts. It's by far the best game store I've visited.

Support your independent game shops.
    I normally only shop at Gamestop during their B2G1s, but with my Gamestops throwing DS cases away, I want to check the Gamestops in case. They have some decent prices on DS RPGs compared to ebay or the other independent stores in my area. I will have to check out Destiny Game. Do they carry strategy guides as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by 1989LSC View Post
    There's also gibralter. One in Taylor and one in mt clemens. Pretty decent flea markets. You have to pay 2.00 to get in though.
    there is one game store in the Gibraltar Trade Center I know of.....all I'm gonna say is come with deep pockets, as I paid $24 for a loose Zelda II cart there.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa Husker View Post
    I normally only shop at Gamestop during their B2G1s, but with my Gamestops throwing DS cases away, I want to check the Gamestops in case. They have some decent prices on DS RPGs compared to ebay or the other independent stores in my area. I will have to check out Destiny Game. Do they carry strategy guides as well?
    Yeah, Destiny Games has strategy guides. They're to the left of the door as you walk in. Most any last-gen/this-gen game can be found, unless it's something really obscure.

I said it once and I'll say it again: Fuck Gamestop.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Taylor Town Trade Center is awesome. You won't find any amazing garage sale rare-stuff-for-cheap deals, but you'll find semi-desirable stuff for less than eBay prices all the time. I love it.

I've never been to Destiny Games before. I got a business card from them at a wrestling show I worked on like 2 and a half years ago. I figured they'd be out of business by now. I'll check them out next time I'm in Canton.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BigPapaHusker
    PSN
    BigPapaHusker

Yeah, Destiny Games has strategy guides. They're to the left of the door as you walk in. Most any last-gen/this-gen game can be found, unless it's something really obscure.

I said it once and I'll say it again: Fuck Gamestop.
    I went there tonight and they had Snatcher and Tron Bonne.... for $130. Ouch.. lol
    Last edited by Big Papa Husker; 10-12-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went there tonight and they had Snatcher and Tron Bonne.... for $130. Ouch.. lol
    Well...it IS Snatcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I like Destiny Games for the most part, but their pricing is all over the place… some great deals can be had, and then other prices are outragous!

of note, the Snatcher is for a loose copy - no case (not sure if they have the manual - Its displayed in a DVD case with copied artwork)
    They also have a Dreamcast Border Down (regular edition) for something like $130!

But I have got many great deals at Destiny… Saturn Bomberman complete for $34.99, many SMS games for under $10, and I have a deal with Ted that I can get the cases, as they won't usually give the cases with the games but I scan the inserts for the SMS games and bring them back to him so he can have a display case…

I can also recommend Taylor Town - I've got MANY great deals there… I'm probably going there tomorrow to grab a couple Vectrex games (if they haven't already sold)…

There are also a few more shops in the area that I have just recently discovered:

Game Play in Livonia (on 7 mile west of Middlebelt)
    Game Heads (two locations - Melvindale on Oakwood Blvd. and Dearborn on Ford Rd. just east of Southfield Fwy - actually more like Ford Rd. and Mercury Drive)

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    I understand that another game shop down here is relocating into Taylor but I'm not sure if they've reopened yet.
    Was this the shop that was on Dix? They had some 5200 games that I wanted to pick up but they've been closed… any idea where at in Taylor it will be at?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Destiny gives you cases for DS and disc games, but doesn't give them for cartridges. Probably not such a bad business move, if you ask me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Destiny gives you cases for DS and disc games, but doesn't give them for cartridges. Probably not such a bad business move, if you ask me.
    The only things they don't give cases with are Genesis and Master System games, probably NES/SNES/N64 boxes, but I'm fine with loose carts on those games… I offer Ted scans of the SMS and Genesis games I buy so he will include the cases for me.

Did you grow up in Plymouth? I'm originally from Canton, graduated from Canton High School in 1995… I used to work at Game Masters back in 1993-1995. I work in Plymouth now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember someone once recommending a place called Time Travelers. I've been meaning to visit, but haven't made it up there yet.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by gameofyou View Post
    I remember someone once recommending a place called Time Travelers. I've been meaning to visit, but haven't made it up there yet.
    Time Travelers is kind of priced high… that goes for toys and most games… they like to do ebay bin pricing - especially if a game is not priced, and you ask, they literally jump on ebay and then give you a price… the guy was like let me check the computer, after the third time, I walked around the corner of the counter and I could see he was looking on ebay

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    The only things they don't give cases with are Genesis and Master System games, probably NES/SNES/N64 boxes, but I'm fine with loose carts on those games… I offer Ted scans of the SMS and Genesis games I buy so he will include the cases for me.

Did you grow up in Plymouth? I'm originally from Canton, graduated from Canton High School in 1995… I used to work at Game Masters back in 1993-1995. I work in Plymouth now.
    They definitely don't give cases for SNES, GBA, NES, Game Gear, and Genesis, or anything else cartridge based. Ted's explanation regarding that policy was that it's a pain in the ass to find scans of the boxes. But yeah, I grew up in Plymouth and I still live here. I graduated from Salem in 2005.

Ted's a good guy with a lot of knowledge. He gave me some advice when I was trying to find a proper power cord for my CDX and I was able to find something that worked out online. Their disc and console repair service is also fantastic.

A note: A while ago Ted joked that I come into the store so much that I probably know the job better than the people working there.