Thread: Leisure Suit Larry HD - Next Year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Default Leisure Suit Larry HD - Next Year

I found this article while reading articles on Joystiq.

Joystiq Article

This is going to be awesome! I remember when my parents bought this for me at the ripe old age of 9. I don't think they knew what they had done. They were always curious why I was asking all these questions about presidents, the Vietnam War, etc.

According to the article, Al Lowe endorses this release and, if successful, they will be releasing other Larry titles.

Now they just have to release Space Quest!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Nice to see that they are finally respecting Al Lowe's creation, and the fact he is endorsing it should be a good sign.

I wonder if this will happen to other Sierra games...

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifersam1 View Post
    Now they just have to release Space Quest!
    ... huh?

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/space_quest_1_2_3
    http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/space_quest_4_5_6

Also, that screenshot... something is very, very off about Larry's face. He looks less like Larry and more like a pissed off Smurf...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    ... huh?
    I think he meant as a HD remake.

As much as I like adventure games I just couldn't get into this series because of the style of humour. It's hard to get into other Sierra games too with all the cheap deaths.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AWESOME!! This is a dream come true for me, I'm a huge fan of Al Lowe and this series. I couldn't believe they excluded him from the POS Magna Cum Laude and whatever else they put out on Xbox / PS2.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Really excited to see Al Lowe involved, but after all these years I can play through the first Larry game in about an hour.

It'd be nice to see the other games get a remade though
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    Really excited to see Al Lowe involved, but after all these years I can play through the first Larry game in about an hour.

It'd be nice to see the other games get a remade though
    Ditto. I'll probably grab it if it's reasonably priced though. And of course I'll get the PC version for nostalgia's sake!

I second a call for Space Quest remakes. I'd miss the sound of the alien puking coming from the PC-speaker (it's brilliant) in the intro to Space Quest IV, but I'd love to see how they re-do the mall scene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can't really complain with all these adventure games coming out again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

Looks like something moved, and i hope the first Larry will not be the last to get a proper re-release/remake. Would make me very happy, i remember when i wrote him; he expressed that he would love some sort of a silver anniversary edition with everything Larry in it. Guess he just came a little closer to that eh!? I remember the overall tone not being very optimistic back in 2010, so i'm also rather thrilled to hear about this. Can't wait for this to be released.

I just like to add to sysops previous statement:
    Not only can't people complaint, those actually been a lot better than most contemporary adventures, some of those oldies and remakes sack them one by one even in proper tests today.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 10-11-2011 at 12:20 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I just like to add to sysops previous statement:
    Not only can't people complaint, those actually been a lot better than most contemporary adventures, some of those oldies and remakes sack them one by one even in proper tests today.
    Is that counting games that have come from the AGS community? There have been a lot of quality games that have been made with that engine over the years, including a number of remakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Is that counting games that have come from the AGS community? There have been a lot of quality games that have been made with that engine over the years, including a number of remakes.
    Actually no. I was mostly referring to LucasArts adventures, as they have been tested by magazines again. GameStar for example did, they are the best selling magazine about PC gaming in germany, and the original Monkey Island remake scored a fabulous 86, and the 2. even a rather spectacular 90, even though graphics also been a criteria. The highest they ever gave was a 94 to put things into perspective, that's for example what they gave WC3. This also triggered new discussions about how good it used to be, and how rare good adventures are these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Sorry, I should have qualified my statement: In HD and on consoles (Gameguy explained it for me earlier in the thread, though

... huh?

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/space_quest_1_2_3
    http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/space_quest_4_5_6

Also, that screenshot... something is very, very off about Larry's face. He looks less like Larry and more like a pissed off Smurf...

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Not just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe
    Great news! I'm proud to announce to CyberJoke 3000™ that Leisure Suit Larry's long imprisonment is ending. Replay Games announced today that it has successfully obtained all the rights to the LSL intellectual property and plans to release modern, high-def versions complete with updated graphics, user interface, music, sound effects, and most importantly, voiceovers for all modern gaming platforms! Paul Trowe, a Sierra buddy from the good old days and Replay's C.E.O. says that if the updated versions sell, he plans to produce new games as well. No release date yet, but I promise you'll be the first to know.
    So it looks like the Larry property has been fully removed from Vivendi Universal's cold, uncaring grasp. Replay Games has complete rights and control. If these people care (and their president/C.E.O. makes me think they do) we will be seeing a lot of Larry Laffer in the next decade.

Source

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

So, since if Al Lowe and Paul Trowe are friends, perhaps they will bring back Lowe and produce a "proper" sequel, as you suggest... That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Not just that.

So it looks like the Larry property has been fully removed from Vivendi Universal's cold, uncaring grasp. Replay Games has complete rights and control. If these people care (and their president/C.E.O. makes me think they do) we will be seeing a lot of Larry Laffer in the next decade.

Source

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

Well it's not like he's lacking material, he sends out dirty jokes on an almost daily basis. A new proper Larry would be nice, i just hope people that are a little younger will catch on, as those mostly only know the more recent junk.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Vivendi wasn't the problem. It was Codemasters. You know how Space/Police Quest and other Sierra games owned by Vivendi made their way to GOG and other digital distribution sites, while LSL never did? It was their fault. They bought the rights to the series from Vivendi, and released Box Office Bust... and we all know how that turned out.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 10-12-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Vivendi wasn't the problem. It was Codemasters. You know how Space/Police Quest and other Sierra games owned by Vivendi made their way to GOG and other digital distribution sites, while LSL never did? It was their fault. They bought the rights to the series from Vivendi, and released Box Office Bust... and we all know how that turned out.
    CODE... MAS... TERS!!!!
    /me shakes fist in the air.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Eh, Monkey Island 1 and 2 are arguably exceptionally well-designed examples of the genre, but the Larry games? Aside from the bawdy humor and the lady bits, I do not have the impression that they were exceptionally good games.

Anyone who hasn't played it before who picks this up (probably because of the promise of raunchiness and glowing endorsements from the nostalgic ones) is probably going to be reaching for a walkthrough after ten minutes. Especially if they don't change the mechanics such that you need to click the hand tool on the bottom of the stool in order to sit down. (WTF?)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    Eh, Monkey Island 1 and 2 are arguably exceptionally well-designed examples of the genre, but the Larry games? Aside from the bawdy humor and the lady bits, I do not have the impression that they were exceptionally good games.

Anyone who hasn't played it before who picks this up (probably because of the promise of raunchiness and glowing endorsements from the nostalgic ones) is probably going to be reaching for a walkthrough after ten minutes. Especially if they don't change the mechanics such that you need to click the hand tool on the bottom of the stool in order to sit down. (WTF?)
    Yeah, there are a lot of cheap death moments in the LSL series. Especially in the first two games. Once the spies are after you in the second game you can pretty much lose for any bullshit reason. Thankfully, the later games did fix the difficulty curve a bit, and have much less GameFAQs moments than the first two did.

I hope the remake of LSL 5 actually makes it good though, that one sucked.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post

This is how I feel.

I remember reading a few columns about a couple of Sierra games from PC Gamer, several problems were pointed out with Larry 2 and Police Quest.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/23/sa...-suit-larry-2/
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/25/sa...-police-quest/