Thread: Possible to give buyer an "Unpaid Item Strike" after a voluntary refund?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Possible to give buyer an "Unpaid Item Strike" after a voluntary refund?

I sold an item and only a few days later, the buyer opened an "Item Non-receipt dispute" in PayPal demanding a refund. In reality, he/she simply changed his/her mind about buying it.

Fortunately, I hadn't sent the item yet, so I avoided a potential headache (if you're a small seller, it's usually a good idea to wait a few days before sending to avoid "buyer's remorse/my son bid on it without my permission/etc..." problems) and would be willing to do a full refund. However, I want to get back my Final Value Fees by opening an "Unpaid Item Dispute" instead of a "Mutual Cancellation Request" in order to give the buyer an Unpaid Item Strike as well. At the very least, out of principle, I don't want to let the buyer get away with it scot-free.

Is the "Unpaid Item Dispute" a possible option after a full refund or is it greyed out (non-selectable) and only "Mutual Cancellation" available? I've read eBay's help pages (which advises you to do a "Mutual Cancellation" after a refund) as well as the eBay forums (whose users usually advise the same), and there seems to be no mention of my sort of situation.

Thanks.
    Last edited by layzee; 10-12-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you willingly issued a refund back to the guy, and you try to do a non-paying bidder case to get him a black mark, it will just back fire on you since he did pay, and you issued the refund willingly on your own merit. Even though you were clearly not all for it, grudgingly issuing a refund before shipping out is still considered mutual cancellation, and will be considered such by most any rep who would review the case.

In the future, if you do not allow returns, and state such clearly, just ship the item and keep the payment. It can be a headache dealing with a ebay dispute, but ebay nor paypal tend to not take the side of a bidder with buyers remorse if you make your policy very clear in your auctions. Just make sure everything you ship is fully insured. If it is electronic in nature, def take many pics, and some video showing it is fully working.

If the buyers remorse bidder tries to claim the item arrived damaged, then simply offer to file a insurance claim. If the bidder tries to decline the claim, offer it again, and keep insisting on such in every message, and in every message fall back to the proof you provided in the auction that the item was shipped as described, per pics and video.

Let the bidder decline your offer to file a insurance claim about 3-4 times, keep the message in your inbox, then contact ebay or paypal via phone, depending on who the claim is through. Either ebay or paypal can review your inbox sent and received messages, and will see the bidder is being uncooperative in resolving the matter, turning down your insurance claim offers, and the agent can then close the dispute for you in your favor.