Thread: Have you ever shelved a game because you never died, or reached a difficult point?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question Have you ever shelved a game because you never died, or reached a difficult point?

I put this in the Modern Gaming section of the forum because I don't remember this being much an issue with older games, and because it happened to me recently with a modern game, Genji: Dawn of the Samurai, but it's a general question. It doesn't really matter if it's happened with a modern or older game.

Like I said, I was playing Genji: Dawn of the Samuai recently, and I started seeing things unfolding in the story that lead me to believe that it was about to conclude soon. I'd also gone through several boss battles in the hours I'd played it without so much as even a scratch from any of them. This made me shelf the game for a few days because I completely lost interest. I couldn't believe that all I had to do was use Benkei (or whatever the 7' monk's name is) and simply tap the triangle button to eliminate EVERY CLUSTER OF ENEMIES IN THE ENTIRE GAME, WITH ONE BUTTON PRESS.

Even bosses didn't stand a chance against the guy. I also noticed that the two playable characters shared the same experience points as well, so when you level up a character though experience, you level up both. There's a secondary level system that uses collected chips which allow you to upgrade character stats independently, but still.

Am I alone here, or do any of you lose interest and shelf a game if you totally fly through it with minimal effort?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not if I was that close to the end. I'd just stick around for awhile just to see the ending.
    If I could tell at the intro that the game was as simple as pressing the same button over and over, then yeah, I'd dump it quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I played Avatar on 360 for about 15 seconds, but that was for a different reason.

I'm trying to remember the name of the game that came out recently.... witch character, no clothes, over the top DMC type gameplay.... that I got bored with fast.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've done this with a number of RPGs. I got about 5 hours into Final Fantasy 8 and just couldn't get into the story or care about the characters and I found the combat tedious.

I'm usually pretty forgiving of repetitive or unchallenging gameplay if I find the story or characters engaging.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never beat a game because it was to repetitive or easy? Nope.
    Last edited by crazyjackcsa; 10-14-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Rock View Post
    I'm usually pretty forgiving of repetitive or unchallenging gameplay if I find the story or characters engaging.
    I feel this way was well. My biggest issue is with simple or easy games that don't grab me with a great story, or atmosphere. There are several games that I love which don't really challenge me much at all, but everything else about them draws me in.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

No, and usually the people who complain about games being bad solely because they're too easy are complete hypocrites. Just about everyone has at least one game that they love in spite of a low difficulty. Look at Super Mario World, Symphony of the Night, Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VII, etc. All highly acclaimed yet all very easy. I've been seeing this kind of stuff a lot lately with Solatorobo. A lot of critics and players are tearing into it because it's very easy, but personally I couldn't care less about the lack of difficulty. It's an amazing game that I absolutely love to play, so I'm not even thinking about the lack of challenge at all when I assess it. It's inconsequential. I will complain about a lack of difficulty in certain other games, but if I don't like those games, it's because of a lack of OTHER traits that could outweigh the low difficulty and other flaws.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I played Avatar on 360 for about 15 seconds, but that was for a different reason.

I'm trying to remember the name of the game that came out recently.... witch character, no clothes, over the top DMC type gameplay.... that I got bored with fast.
    That'd be Bayonetta. You stopped playing it because it's too easy? It's the main game that I'm working through now, and I die a lot. Maybe I'm just not very good at this kind of game. I've never played the DMC games, and I generally think the Japanese are weird. But I'm having fun with Bayonetta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

It's rare that I shelve a game because it was either too easy or too hard. In this gen I haven't done that at all except in cases of pure disinterest.

Halo: Reach is one victim-I played up until I get to the Covenant ship early on (not spoiling it for those that are playing it). Game felt so overdone, I didn't feel anything for a part of the story that was supposed to invoke emotion. Demon's Souls just doesn't grab me for some reason-I'll play it for a bit but then I'll pack it away. Burnout Paradise is another off-and-on title. I haven't even really begun to play the Sly Cooper compilation as I just got the feeling of "been there, done that".