Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Name a system you have no desire to play again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've had a heap of systems over the years or in the case of the one I'll nominate used a friends a lot, but it would be the Atari 2600 and all 'flashback' variants as I have had those. I started out with friends who had that and the test launched NES in 85 I got. The 2600 just didn't have much good variety to me and most the arcade ports were pretty sorry. I never much liked the joystick on the thing and even against stuff like the coleco or a Fairchild Channel F my mom had I thought the audio more or less was underwhelming too. I won't touch the thing anymore, emulator, flashbacked or otherwise. It wasn't that hot back then and has aged horribly.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BrAn FIakez

I gotta throw my 2cents in here and say I dislike the Wii I think its the worst system I've ever owned I don't like a single thing about it .

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Sampled a PC-FX and Arcadia 2001 the other day, put them no my list. Never again!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly only played the Atari once at a friends house growing up. It's well before my time and if I never played it again...I could care less.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Jaguar, Dreamcast (sold mine when I looked at it and realized I hadn't played it in about a year, just not very many good games for it), and everything pre-NES besides the Vectrix. Getting really close to this point with my Wii too, the game library is just shit, my love of the Williams pinball game is the only reason it's not in a box.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    dreamcast, I still don't understand how people love this piece of shit, aside from pso (which was done better on other platforms later) its library is a pile of awfull shovelware, there is no game that makes me want to hook it up again (other than pso which again was done better elsewhere)

runner up would be saturn, other than a great port of sotn guardian heroes and dragon force, this system can die in a fire.

Wow Dreamcast? Really? .Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Power Stone, Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Crazy Taxi, many 2D shooter titles, Skies of Arcadia, & more?

And on Saturn, Magic Knight Rayearth, Panzer Dragoon Zwei & Saga, House of the Dead, Clockwork Knight 2, Nights into Dreams, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Shining Force III, Shining the Holy Ark, Astal, Rayman?

There were more than enough titles on both platforms to make them worth having IMO.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atari Jaguar. What a piece of crap.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ultimaweapon View Post
    Wow Dreamcast? Really? .Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Power Stone, Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Crazy Taxi, many 2D shooter titles, Skies of Arcadia, & more?

And on Saturn, Magic Knight Rayearth, Panzer Dragoon Zwei & Saga, House of the Dead, Clockwork Knight 2, Nights into Dreams, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Shining Force III, Shining the Holy Ark, Astal, Rayman?

There were more than enough titles on both platforms to make them worth having IMO.
    Sega fan's are a special breed of people I suppose lol
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    Sega fan's are a special breed of people I suppose lol
    If by that you mean Sega fans are God's chosen people, I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The quality of Sega's consoles goes;

Genesis/Sega CD/32X > Saturn > Sega Master System > Game Gear > Dreamcast

Saturn and SMS are pretty close though with quality, most of the good games for either system are rare or expensive and most people won't be playing them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Eh SMS I'd put over the Saturn. Also aside from getting raped stupid for a UPC sticker on Sonic or Buster Douglas Boxing there's really nothing that's truly 'expensive' for the system if we're talking USA releases other than maybe Power Strike that hits around $50 as can Golden Axe Warrior when it's complete too though it can go for $40 easily as well(which is what I got it for.) Most those SMS games complete fall into the sub-$10 range and a great many of the rest in the $20 or under area.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GizzyGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was not a huge fan of the Atari Jag myself. Thought the controller was horrible.

http://www.GizzyGames.com
    10% off for all DP members! Use code DIGIT at checkout!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Eh SMS I'd put over the Saturn. Also aside from getting raped stupid for a UPC sticker on Sonic or Buster Douglas Boxing there's really nothing that's truly 'expensive' for the system if we're talking USA releases other than maybe Power Strike that hits around $50 as can Golden Axe Warrior when it's complete too though it can go for $40 easily as well(which is what I got it for.) Most those SMS games complete fall into the sub-$10 range and a great many of the rest in the $20 or under area.
    SMS or Saturn could go either way in terms of which one is better, to me they're really that close so I won't argue either way about it. For either system there's only a handful of games I'd be interested in, less than 10 each that I'd try to get. I consider any game more than $50 to be expensive, even $20 is more than I'd normally spend on a game. For the SMS the good games are mostly over $50 complete, or European exclusives which are hard to find in North America. The easiest one to find is Phantasy Star. I don't really care that much about the cheaper titles. Phantasy Star and Golden Axe Warrior are the two games I think of with the SMS, I'd have to struggle a bit to think of other games I want to eventually play. Saturn has some games I want to get too, but they're not cheap titles either.

Still better than the Dreamcast, there's not a single title I can think of that I'd want to play again. I'm thinking of exclusives that weren't also released on other consoles.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. I knew this would be harsh just reading the thread title.

I agree with the N64. Just not my kind of thing. Haven't enjoyed 3D platforming(among other things) at all. Plus that gamepad. I have no idea how anyone could find that comfortable, but then I just read a comment about how someone found the Genesis pad uncomfortable, and I always thought that was one of the more comfortable pads I've held.

For a lot of the same reasons as the N64, I could also say the Gamecube. Nothing seemed all that interesting to me.

Sega's 8-bit side. could just be a thing of never having had them when I was younger, but there just doesn't seem to be anything there that holds my interest, that the NES or Genesis didn't have competent enough versions of already.

I love the Genesis and the Dreamcast, but everything else in between... The Sega CD & Saturn, there might be 2-3 games I'd have any interest in...

Not that one should ever have to defend their position, but in the case of the Dreamcast, It was pretty much the last shot for arcade style gaming, which is what I prefer these days. That is where I believe others probably had issue with it, they just expect longer games since going 3D.

At this stage, I won't touch anything past the SNES, barring the next couple generations of Nintendo handhelds(Color & Advance), or just 2D cartridges for short.

Someone brought up how they couldn't play anything as simplistic as the 2600, but I almost prefer that, truth be told. I'll always love the 3rd and 4th generation, but the NES pretty much turned the hobby into something of a job with the whole "get to the end" thing. So I like the concept of something you play for however long/as many times as you choose to, as opposed to getting toward the scripted ending.

That's why I think sports, racing, wrestling, fighting, and some puzzle games are pretty much the best genres. You play those as much as you want to. Beat 'em ups, however, remain my favorite.

I know I already started going off topic at the end, but way off topic: Where can you find the animations in Tanooki's sig?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think there's any systems I'd never play again. Every system has its faults, but none so bad that it makes them unplayable... even the Jaguar has its saving graces. I played the snot outta Tempest 2000 and Kasumi Ninja back in the day and loved every minute of it. Never owned a PC-FX but want one for homebrew, plus Ryphecha (I think) did a partial translation of Miraculum and it seemed like a cool game. Definitely want a Dreamcast for homebrew but have never played one (only an emulator). I just stick to the PC Engine for homebrew for now... would never ever give that up. I have never played a Virtual Boy... but that may end up breaking my "there's no systems I'd never play again" mantra if I ever do.
    New PC Engine games coming:
    Jungle Bros | Monolith

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari 5200

That thing was huge and controller looked like a telephone with a joystick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bumped for further input.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Xbox360 hands down. It's been collecting dust for a while and I have no desire to play it again.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I still love my N64 and PSone and would never give them up!

But the one system I'll probably never play again or really show any interest in again would be the Sega Saturn. I liked it a bit back in it's heyday but I really have no reason to go back to it, and you can add the Dreamcast to that list too since I've actually NEVER played it and have no interest in doing so.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amiga CD32....my buddy grew up in the UK and when he moved to my hometown he brought this piece of junk with him. I guess it was only released in Western Europe and Canada and lasted about a year before they called it quits. We never had a chance to play it due to the PAL encoding, until we were in high school when he purchased the proper multi-system equipment to convert his PAL electronics to run with NTSC. All of the original games were awful and the rest were ports of earlier Amiga games. Although he did have this weird Doom clone called 'Gloom' that was pretty interesting and after doing some research there is what looks like a decent top down shooter called 'Banshee' .....Every other game he had was unbearable, especially this game called 'Final Gate'.

Banshee: http://youtu.be/RzXRluUE5YE

Gloom: http://youtu.be/BELCO16pwNM

Final Gate: http://youtu.be/6kWAYp_XZd4