Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Name a system you have no desire to play again

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The N64 gets a lot of undue hate. It might not have the largest library and it had plenty of crappy games (like every console ever), but it still had plenty of solid games on it. I could maybe understand someone who only plays rpg's exclusively not liking the 64. Here lately I have been playing the hell out of my 64. There is only a handful of games I still want for the system, but the 30 or so I have now are quality enough I will play them for years to come.

For me I'd have to say the Atari Lynx Is one that I wouldn't cry over if I never got to play it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was never fond of the N64 controller, and to this day I don't particularly like any analog stick. They're great for defining the direction of a vector and terrible at defining its length.

Insert Coin (Level 0) cholkavich's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cholkavich
    PSN
    Cholkavich

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    let me guess, you never even played an N64 until sometime after the year 2000? This is another thing, people bashing on n64 controller, in 1996 when the n64 came out the playstation didnt even have a freaking analog controller yet. N64 controller always worked perfectly fine for me. I always took care of mine and didnt abuse it, low IQ animals who abuse their gaming stuff, sure, you can break the analog stick or make it loose and crappy if you are too rough with the controller.
    wow dude you took that waaaaaay personal. Yes i played the N64 plenty of times before 2000 thank you, i grew up when everyone and their mother owned one. I just never enjoyed the way the whole trident felt in the hands. I understand why they did it too and for that i admire it but it doesnt change the fact that the controller never stopped feeling awkward. When you make blanket statements like that you tend to make an ass out of yourself man, i was just speaking out of personal experience. I dont hate the N64 i just never enjoyed it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The Gameboy Color.

I owned one for about 6 months and got so frustrated with trying to get light at the right angle on the screen, just so I could see what was going on. I sold it and will probably never own one again.

Yeah, I'll play the Gameboy games on a Gameboy player, but keep that jacked up screen away from me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The N64 controller is one of my favorites. It feels very comfortable and natural...never felt awkward. It took me maybe a minute to get used to it back in Sept 1996.

To me, the analog stick with the trigger underneath is perfect.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-17-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Genesis. The music makes my ears hurt, the graphics are ugly for a 16-bit console, and I don't care for pretty much any of the exclusive games, especially the super duper overrated Sonic series.

Also, the controller sucks. Great for street fighter, terrible for pretty much everything else.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mylifewithsega's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JM587683

The Game.Com's kinda' worthless to me. Didn't really care for the Virtual Boy or CD-I either.... I really didn't like the Virtual Boy. I can't believe Nintendo could release such a piece of crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God, I'd completely forgotten about the completely forgettable Game.com. I'll 2nd that choice!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

The worst system ever was the Adventurevision.

I was so pumped to get one but it was just so bad I ended up passing it on to a friend who helped me with things around the store. It was unplayable.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    The Genesis. The music makes my ears hurt, the graphics are ugly for a 16-bit console, and I don't care for pretty much any of the exclusive games, especially the super duper overrated Sonic series.

Also, the controller sucks. Great for street fighter, terrible for pretty much everything else.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Reading through this whole thread, I think it's crazy to see how many people are listing systems like N64 and PSX. Really? I am decidedly not a fan of N64, and it's easily my least favorite "major" post-crash console (major meaning excluding stuff like Jaguar). But even so, it still has its share of greats. And PSX is one of the best systems of all time.

I don't really get why people say early 3D games were ugly. I'm not saying they're not, but, early 2D games were just as ugly.
    I thought the same things when I went from a SNES to PSOne playing Resident Evil 2 for the first time or FF7. It was mindblowing to how much better it was than the 16 bit era in terms of gameplay experience. However,then you saw the rest of the PSOne's library where they relied fully on blocky,grainy early 3D instead of a mixture of both like in the Resident Evil games. SOTN is an all time great because 2D on the PSOne looks gorgeous and is still very playable.

Games like Vigilante 8 are dead to me now, even Tony Hawk which was a fun game to play when you are bored back in the day isn't worth it. I can go back to the 8 bit, 16 bit era with ease, but the 32 bit one is purely a toss-up unless its on a small screen like the PSP. Goldeneye for N64 was an epic game, but the 3d looks so blurry on it today that people had to create HD packs for it. Its funny how a game like Pacman didn't age badly but 007 did. Like someone said earlier, The Sega Dreamcast is the first system that did 3D properly. It just didn't have enough games.

Basically I think everyone who grew up on the NES first mostly believe that the 32-bit era didn't age well. However its not like we didn't enjoy the era when it was going on. It was fresh, but then went stale.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 08-28-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

OK I have a new one. Now that I have my Wii softmodded and have a Virtual Boy emulator on it that finally runs at an accurate speed with sound, It is no longer a must for me to play on an actual Virtual Boy system again. I did not dislike the real Virtual Boy or anything, and the 3D did make the images look better than they do in 2D on a TV screen, but for ease of use it's just more practical to emulate it.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    I thought the same things when I went from a SNES to PSOne playing Resident Evil 2 for the first time or FF7. It was mindblowing to how much better it was than the 16 bit era in terms of gameplay experience. However,then you saw the rest of the PSOne's library where they relied fully on blocky,grainy early 3D instead of a mixture of both like in the Resident Evil games. SOTN is an all time great because 2D on the PSOne looks gorgeous and is still very playable.

Games like Vigilante 8 are dead to me now, even Tony Hawk which was a fun game to play when you are bored back in the day isn't worth it. I can go back to the 8 bit, 16 bit era with ease, but the 32 bit one is purely a toss-up unless its on a small screen like the PSP. Goldeneye for N64 was an epic game, but the 3d looks so blurry on it today that people had to create HD packs for it. Its funny how a game like Pacman didn't age badly but 007 did. Like someone said earlier, The Sega Dreamcast is the first system that did 3D properly. It just didn't have enough games.

Basically I think everyone who grew up on the NES first mostly believe that the 32-bit era didn't age well. However its not like we didn't enjoy the era when it was going on. It was fresh, but then went stale.
    I can get behind the idea that Dreamcast was the first system to do 'good' 3D. I just don't get what the big deal is. It just seems excessively snooty to me, to pooh-pooh everything that doesn't meet some arbitrary graphical standard. When I play Syphon Filter or WipEout or whatever, I'm concentrated on having fun, I'm not thinking "there aren't enough polygons, how pedestrian". All of that stuff is just as playable as it ever was. Hell, even games like Zero Tolerance are still playable.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, you first few posters gotta relax with the N64 hating, there are much worse systems than that!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say 2 come to mind for me. First would be the Game.com, I got one of these for my birthday as a kid instead of a gameboy color. It looked so cool and advanced... but i pretty much sucked. Terrible touch screen controls, black & white graphics that were hard to see, and a bad game library. The other would be PC (not sure if this counts). I've never been a PC gamer and just don't really enjoy it for whatever reason.

I'm sure there would be more, but i havent played a lot of the obscure and older systems

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Game gear. Nothing there but shitty ports and a few unique sonic games. I still love the unique games on the SMS, but the game gear never had anything with that level of appeal. In fact, back in the day, the coolest thing about my game gear was using the master gear converter so I could play phantasy star and wonder boy 3.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I can get behind the idea that Dreamcast was the first system to do 'good' 3D. I just don't get what the big deal is. It just seems excessively snooty to me, to pooh-pooh everything that doesn't meet some arbitrary graphical standard. When I play Syphon Filter or WipEout or whatever, I'm concentrated on having fun, I'm not thinking "there aren't enough polygons, how pedestrian". All of that stuff is just as playable as it ever was. Hell, even games like Zero Tolerance are still playable.
    Personally its less about the quality of the 3D (although its definitely still a factor) then it is about control, especially in regards to camera control of 32 bit era games. Both of those things coupled make the 3D era much less appealing now then other previous generations of gaming. It largely wasn't an issue before the 32 bit era and largely hasn't been standardized after but the transitional period saw everyone trying a different control and camera layout for every other game even in the same genera with many of them simply not being very good due to lack of experience controlling objects in a 3D plane. There are a ton of great gems from this era that are playable today, but I think the vast majority of releases are certainty things you have to push yourself to adjust to again rather then just enjoying it from the get go.

Answer to general "why pick N64" question:
    N64 is a console I both have a lot of experience with in its heyday and didn't like then and still and not fond of now. I would only chose something like the CDi, Jaguar, or whatever if I had played them more then once but I haven't yet I have with the N64 and still don't really enjoy it like any other console I have played extensively over the years.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Early 3D is a little jarring to me because of the low framerate on a lot of titles. It definitely takes a while to adjust. That said, I was on a PS1 kick just a couple years ago and after a little while I started getting used to it and it was no longer an issue. It is unsettling for me [i]now[i] to go look at 15fps 3D because my eyes aren't used to it. If the game is fun, though, I'll stick with it.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of games were 24-30 fps though. I actually agree, low frame rates get annoying, especially when they're inconsistent. But there's plenty of stuff that's worse than PSX/Saturn level. Have you played a SuperFX game lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Schiggidyd View Post
    Damn, you first few posters gotta relax with the N64 hating, there are much worse systems than that!
    Its all subjective. The subject isn't "which is the worst console ever" its which console do you have no desire to play again. I can easily agree with the N64 choice.