Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Quote Originally Posted by AceAerosmith View Post
    Atari 2600. Nothing in the system's game library makes me say, "Hey, I wish I still had that system."
    I can play any system and love the hell out of it...except anything pre NES. Anything NES and forward I love and play but Yes Atari and that age I just can't handle.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by AceAerosmith View Post
    Atari 2600. Nothing in the system's game library makes me say, "Hey, I wish I still had that system."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    I can play any system and love the hell out of it...except anything pre NES. Anything NES and forward I love and play but Yes Atari and that age I just can't handle.
    I have been finding that people who don't enjoy games from the ancient era favor games that have more "depth" games with a beginning and an acute end… Games from the earliest days really are more or less, infinite… the thing that keeps most folks returning to those games are the score mechanics… these games are really played for score, and the continuous play of such games are to continue to improve scoring…

As for the 2600, most games I really do have a hard time to get into, as I find more enjoyment playing improved versions on Atari's later consoles such as the 5200 and 7800… but there are still a handful of games on the 2600 which keep me playing it today…
    Kaboom! it's one game that is pure addiction and best played on proper hardware with proper paddle controllers…

Insert Coin (Level 0) SonicBoom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonicsalt99 (PS, I'm Not on a lot)
    PSN
    Sonicsalt99

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxstnj View Post
    Atari 5200.
    The controllers never worked right and no exclusive games.
    I Have to agree with you on that. I Still can't believe people were saying "Dreamcast, N64 And PS1"
    I Love all of those systems!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturn. Had one for a while, really liked it, but I played the games I wanted to play on it (PD Saga, Dragon Force). I don't see myself ever getting another one, although it is a great console. Also, the Bally Astrocade. I pulled mine out of the closet once every 5 years, played it for a day and that's it. I finally sold it on eBay a couple months ago.

I do still play PS1 games from time to time - for some games the early 3D is a bit jarring at first but you get used to it. There are also a lot of emulator packs and more 2D-ish types of games.

To each their own, but I'm really surprised by peoples' responses here.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

XBox 360 and PS3. Current gen sucks and I have absolutely no desire to play any of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    Sonicsalt99

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    XBox 360 and PS3. Current gen sucks and I have absolutely no desire to play any of it.
    I Don't care much for them. But there is a few cool things. I Only have a Xbox 360 and haven't used in months. NES, Atari, And Sega for life!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

N64? Dreamcast? PSX?

Despite being anti Nintendo, the good games that the N64 has are some of the best games ever developed. Amazing console if you're a fan of multiplayer with some friends over, as well as some, although very few, great single player games.

Unfortunately for the Dreamcast, most of its best games have been ported to other consoles, such as Phantasy Star Online, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Dead or Alive 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica, among others. It's got some great exclusives(and ports) Shenmue, Dynamite Cop, Sword of the Berserk Gut's Revenge, Carrier, Soul Reaver(which looks better than the PSX version,) etc. For having a very small library it's certainly got a lot of great games.

The PSX is the single greatest console of all time, only bested by the PS2 and PS3 if you were to take backwards compatibility into consideration. While being the greatest console of all time is opinion only, you can't deny that there aren't games that you like unless you just haven't played them. If you're an RPG fan then it's easily the best console of all time, but I could list atleast 100 great games for the console that aren't even in the RPG genre.

--

If it's not current or last gen, I don't play the game on its native console. So really, any past console I own I have no desire to play again because I play all games through emulation.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-21-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If you're an RPG fan then it's easily the best console of all time
    I prefer SNES. If you include Super Famicom games, I feel the system easily trumps the PlayStation in RPGs, but even if you don't, the small selection of US RPGs includes some of the best RPGs ever made, in my opinion. PlayStation may have a lot to pick from, but very few come close to the quality of stuff like Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Lufia II.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
    NES, Atari, And Sega for life!
    Damn straight. I don't know how most people aren't absolutely sick and tired of FPS after FPS after FPS. Its hard to picture a game that doesn't have a goddamn gunsight in the middle of the screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    Sonicsalt99

Damn straight. I don't know how most people aren't absolutely sick and tired of FPS after FPS after FPS. Its hard to picture a game that doesn't have a goddamn gunsight in the middle of the screen.
    Right? There all the same. The only FPS i like are Doom And Wolfenstein!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    As far as 2600 being on people's list....that is a system that gets played weekly in our house. We have family game night and always end up playing MAZE CRAZE, SLOT RACERS, INDY 500, WARRING WORMS, and a bunch of great homebrews!

The 2600 really is a lot more fun when playing against someone. In fact, that is were the system shines. Tell me Maze Craze doesn't get your competitive juices flowin' ????
    You'd bring a smile to Nolan Bushnell with that post. If you read or watch interviews with him, it is the bringing together of people and families to play video games, much like a board game, that he wanted to achieve with video games. You are more than right about the 2600 rocking with two players. Some of those games are incredible, despite their simplicity, when you are going head to head. I love Combat and Air Battle in particular. I own a stand alone Atari Pong unit that my girlfriend actually enjoys playing against me with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
    Right? There all the same. The only FPS i like are Doom And Wolfenstein!
    If you ran for President of Video Games, you would have my vote and undying support! I love Wolfenstein and Doom. I use to like James Bond and Perfect Dark for the N64, but their appeal is gone for me now.

I blame Halo for the FPS scourge. The game itself is not bad, per se; it is the after effect that I resent as FPS are a cancer that spreads and kills anything else in the video game market.* I have younger friends who can play nothing but FPS games because, to them, that is what video games are. So very sad. On top of them crapping on the game market, they are also marketing tools for the United States military, which would not be such a bad thing if the US was less neo-imperialistic in our world affairs.

*Yes, yes. I am using a bit of hyperbole, but there is a truth to this overly dramatic analogy, unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire View Post
    Saturn. Had one for a while, really liked it, but I played the games I wanted to play on it (PD Saga, Dragon Force). I don't see myself ever getting another one, although it is a great console. Also, the Bally Astrocade. I pulled mine out of the closet once every 5 years, played it for a day and that's it. I finally sold it on eBay a couple months ago.

I do still play PS1 games from time to time - for some games the early 3D is a bit jarring at first but you get used to it. There are also a lot of emulator packs and more 2D-ish types of games.

To each their own, but I'm really surprised by peoples' responses here.
    The Saturn was a nice upgrade coming from a Genesis to play for a year or two, but the PSOne had the better graphics and superior library and seemed to be everyones main system for 1998 along with the N64. I remember reading magazine in 97 and just seeing the Saturn die out each issue with lowering prices and with less and less reviews.

I Know alot of legendary RPG'S are for the Saturn, but the controller was always inferior IMHO and the graphics looked noticably subpar if u came from having a PSONE first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

The Adventurevision looked so cool I had to have it. Once I had it I figured out quick why it is so rare. The thing is horrible. I will never play it again.

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never wanna play the Game.com or CDi ever again. The Nintendo 64 and Saturn are God compared to those wasted pieces of plastic.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'll never say never, but I doubt I would ever desire to buy another RCA Studio II. Everything else has at least 1 game I was ok with. I think a lot of the seldomly played stuff is ready to get sold off though. I got the stuff because I wanted to experience it and try it out. Well, that has been done so why is it still here? I don't have room for this stuff. Even if I get a house someday, that's a lot of dusting to do too.

I have grown unattached to much of my collection now. I almost wish I didn't have anything, but had a ton of money and could just fully enjoy things one by one. Then I remember how hard it will be to find a few of these and choose to keep the games at least until I beat them. I was more excited to get Atari games when I didn't have one and missed having the console.

I think the only one game I definitely care about keeping is the copy of Ms. Pac-Man for Genesis that my grandma who raised me and I shared. It's the only game of mine she really played and it brings back memories. I even sold it at a game store once, but the copy sat on the shelf for 2 and a half years and I was able to buy it back for cheap. I could tell it was the same one because of the way the cartridge rattled and the faint white crayon marking on the game's case.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no desire to play anything on an NGage/QD ever again.
    Mine served me well as a bargain bin phone, but every time I'd use it for games, I would find myself frustrated at the obvious and baffling design flaws.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    Playstation 1 and 2, the Original Xbox, Anything pre NES, maybe even the NES itself, the Master System, The original Gameboy.
    Your response pains me to read. My brother and I play Tekken 3 on our PSone about once a week, and we play Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 on our Xbox every other week. My friend and I still spend hours over his house every day when we come home from school (we are in middle school) playing Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper on his PS2, and quite a lot of time playing our original monochrome gameboys through link cable too. I play Master System for ALEX KIDD! My other friend and I play his Atari 2600 on the weekends for hours. Most importantly, my NES is like a brother too me and all my friends. Me and my friend actually just finished playing Battletoads on my NES about 10 minutes ago when he had to go back to his house. Your response is burning my retnas. Please re-visit these systems and then make a concious post. Good day to you sir, good day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Interesting to see everyone's opinions. As for myself, I don't hate any system, but there are definitely systems I'd be okay with never playing again. Atari 5200 just doesn't do anything for me, I love the 7800 though. I didn't enjoy the CD-i and sold it. The dated graphics of the first "3D" consoles are a little hard to get past at times, but there are enough good games for the N64, PS1 and Saturn to make it worth while. I never get tired of Paper Mario, Brave Fencer Musashi or Astal respectively. There are at least a game or two on most systems that make me break them out of storage now and then.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo 64, in spite of finally having one set up after 5+ years of half-hearted attempts I completely lack the desire to buy those 2 Zelda carts and will probably sell both systems next week after pretending to give a damn. The Sega 32x might also qualify but at least I don't plan to sell it.