Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Name a system you have no desire to play again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oddly enough I don't think there is a system I don't want to play now and again but if I had to it might be the 3D0. 95% of its library has definitive PC versions though native controller support is useful when thinking about how difficult it got at times to get gamepads to work.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have no desire to play the Atari 5200 again. Although, I love my Atari 7800 and use it often to play my 2600 carts as well. I just couldn't get into the 5200.

Retronick- Welcome to the C64 family!!! Always glad to hear from people who appreciate the good old Commodore 64. The C64 is without a doubt my favorite vintage computer in my collection. Although, my SX-64, Vic-20, and Amiga 500 are very close runners up.
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 06-04-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    dreamcast, I still don't understand how people love this piece of shit, aside from pso (which was done better on other platforms later) its library is a pile of awfull shovelware, there is no game that makes me want to hook it up again (other than pso which again was done better elsewhere)

runner up would be saturn, other than a great port of sotn guardian heroes and dragon force, this system can die in a fire.

So Shenmue I & II, Rez, Jet Grind Radio, Soul Calibur I, Street Fighter III: Third Strike, and countless other classic titles are all 'shovelware' to you? I think many people would agree that your idea of 'shovelware' is pretty distorted, or you're simply trolling.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mercuryshadow09's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099 View Post
    So Shenmue I & II, Rez, Jet Grind Radio, Soul Calibur I, Street Fighter III: Third Strike, and countless other classic titles are all 'shovelware' to you? I think many people would agree that your idea of 'shovelware' is pretty distorted, or you're simply trolling.
    I was thinking the same thing but figured I'd let somebody else call him out on it!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah... both of those systems are littered with great arcade ports. I mean, this thread is inherently subjective, but those 2 systems to me were phenomenal, loaded with great exclusives, as well as Sega at its most insane with the bizarre products they've put out. I could sit here and rattle off titles, but I don't think it's necessary. I can't imagine two systems with less shovelware, though. The quality/crap ratio for popular systems is pretty darn good.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mercuryshadow09's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Yeah... both of those systems are littered with great arcade ports. I mean, this thread is inherently subjective, but those 2 systems to me were phenomenal, loaded with great exclusives, as well as Sega at its most insane with the bizarre products they've put out. I could sit here and rattle off titles, but I don't think it's necessary. I can't imagine two systems with less shovelware, though. The quality/crap ratio for popular systems is pretty darn good.
    I couldn't agree more, my DC doesn't get as much love lately but I love my Saturn!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    I have no desire to play the Atari 5200 again. Although, I love my Atari 7800 and use it often to play my 2600 carts as well. I just couldn't get into the 5200.
    The main problem with the 5200 is that the system is just gigantic.
    Its just not worth having around considering how few games are on it.
    I actually like the 5200 controller alot. Often times they are found non-functional but once you get them working they are very comfortable to use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Retronick- Welcome to the C64 family!!! Always glad to hear from people who appreciate the good old Commodore 64. The C64 is without a doubt my favorite vintage computer in my collection. Although, my SX-64, Vic-20, and Amiga 500 are very close runners up.
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to spending a day playing with it to see what it's really capable of. Friend of mine suggested writing my own text based adventure game in BASIC so now I have a quest!
    Dig it old-school?
    Visit http://www.retronick.com
    or follow me on twitter: @Retron8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099 View Post
    All garbage, but then, you probably thought Skeleton Warriors (The best game on the Saturn), was a waste of time ;P.

Seriously though. Shovelware? Come on, those games are incredible.
    Dig it old-school?
    Visit http://www.retronick.com
    or follow me on twitter: @Retron8

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Gameboy Color - With B&W GB games I can at least give a few a pass due to the nostalgia factor of playing them in the past. I never owned a GBC when it was current and having a color screen that wasn't backlit really had no appeal to me after logging so much time in on my Game Gear and Nomad. Other than a few oddball unlicensed Chinese games I can't think of one game I want to play on it that doesn't have a better alternative elsewhere.

N64 - Same case as above. Didn't own one when it was current and only spent a small amount of time playing it during downtime while working at a video store. I know good games exist for it, but none of them are genres I enjoy and can't think of any that I have a desire to seek out. Picked up the WCW/Virtual Pro Wrestling games and time has not been kind to them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Atari 5200

I would have to got with the 5200. This was a Christmas present back in early 80's and at the time amazing. But the fun only last for a little while an then it fell apart. The controllers stopped working and I think there was some power issues too. The funny thing is I like the 2600 and the 7800 is neat too ( why crappy sound damn it! ). I think the 5200 is more hassle than it's worth. I really like the analog controls and I know there's better controllers now but, it just don't appeal.

, my bro-in law has one and I was like, eh. Although if I find game in the wid, it's fun to find for him. I'm nuts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    The main problem with the 5200 is that the system is just gigantic.
    Its just not worth having around considering how few games are on it.
    I actually like the 5200 controller alot. Often times they are found non-functional but once you get them working they are very comfortable to use.
    I couldn't agree more. Whats up with the enormous power supply? Was there some sort of technical reason for the gigantic power supply?

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    I would have to got with the 5200. This was a Christmas present back in early 80's and at the time amazing. But the fun only last for a little while an then it fell apart. The controllers stopped working and I think there was some power issues too. The funny thing is I like the 2600 and the 7800 is neat too ( why crappy sound damn it! ). I think the 5200 is more hassle than it's worth. I really like the analog controls and I know there's better controllers now but, it just don't appeal.

, my bro-in law has one and I was like, eh. Although if I find game in the wid, it's fun to find for him. I'm nuts.
    The funny thing is I actually like some of the 5200's games but not enough to start another collection. Its my understanding that for the sake of backwards compatibility the 7800 used the TIA chip for sound which resulted in sound quality that is virtually identical to the 2600. Some of the 7800's games like Commando had the POKEY chip built into the cartridge. IMHO, the 7800's port of Commando is one of the best due in no small part to the POKEY chip.
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 06-09-2015 at 09:10 PM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I couldn't agree more. Whats up with the enormous power supply? Was there some sort of technical reason for the gigantic power supply?
    Yeah, there is that also. That huge brick thats way larger than it has to be. Plus the stupid RF switchbox that sparks everytime you plug it in. It is one of the worst designs in history.
    The controller gets alot of hate, and for the most part it deserves it. The push buttons all stop working, but if you take apart the controller and clean the contacts with rubbing alc it fixes the problem. Ive probably 'fixed' about 10 controllers this way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm a big proponent of going with the Atari 800XL or similar 8-bit computer instead of the 5200. A good chunk of the library is exactly the same and the games play the same (the 5200 is basically an 800 computer at heart) and you can use normal joysticks so no headaches with the 5200 controllers and add to the fact that the computers have a vastly larger and more diverse library of games not just on cart but disk as well, and there are modern disk drive alternatives so you don't need to fuss with those either.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I agree XL line is much more playable. Collecting wise no way, the games are much harder to find than 5200, more $, and often crappy label art. Much of the 5200 library has been converted to XL by now though. I went all in on 5200 several years ago, have it composite modded, controllers "repaired", trackball, and many games as well as the atari max flash. Don't want to swap over now.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    Philips CD-i

Yeah.... This would be one of the easiest picks to go with. I mean, does the CD-I have any decent games ? Any must plays ? All I remember is Palm Springs Golf being kinda cool, seeing the demo running at a Good Guys! audio/video store in California.

I owned a CD-I for a very brief period of time, and tried playing a few games, but overall found the experience really subpar and unnecessary.

The other answer I'd give is the Sega Master System. I know it's kinda blasphemy to say that about such a beloved system, but the fact of the matter is that I have zero nostalgia towards the SMS. I never owned one back in the day, and hardly knew it even existed. I tried playing with one a few times, I was really curious about it, because it's one of the oldest systems that can output RGB natively, and I wanted to try it out just for that reason. Some of the games were pretty cool, but with it not having any nostalgia factor at all, I could easily live without it.

CD-I is the easy answer though.

32X would be a good answer too, but Virtua Racing Deluxe is freaking awesome....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely anything pre-NES. I have no desire to play Atari-era games, even though they were the first games I owned.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NES, for the most part. There are games for it I like, like Mega Man and Metroid, or to an extent Super Mario Bros., but I can play those on other, later consoles (Mega Man Anniversary, the unlockable in Metroid Prime and Metroid: Zero Mission, Super Mario All Stars or the GBC Super Mario Bros.) without having the controller digging into my hands or my eyes or having to give the game a bj before it'll work.

Yes, I know about the dogbone controllers, and about disabling the lockout/fixing the 72-pin connector; they somewhat make me reconsidering it for some games, but just not enough to hunt an NES down.

I rarely hook up my Sears Video Arcade II (US version of Atari 2800) these days, but I will not part with it. Vinyl-dyed it red except for the middle section where the cartridge slot and buttons are -- it's striking. Plus, I get nostalgic playing Solaris and Frogger. Still . . . I feel no need or desire to collect any more games for it. I don't even have paddle controllers for the game or two I have that requires them!

I have a Gameboy Color, and I enjoy some games on it, but I never play them on it anymore. I've been spoiled by emulation and backlighting on my PSP.

Also, I'm not sure I really have the right to judge the Nintendo 64 harshly, having only played Pokemon Stadium on it with friends at college, but it really doesn't appeal to me. I will say that I didn't like the controller (for the usual reasons) and that the games on it I know about and am interested in were ported or remade on later systems. Heck, I have the Zelda Collector's disc for Gamecube, can get Paper Mario on Virutal Console if I'm so inclined, and whenever I finally get a 3DS I'll get Mario and Starfox. Best to say that I don't think I'd be sad to never play the N64 again, but definitely am glad it existed.
    I hate it when people write their initials on a game cart's label. Can't get it off without ruining part of the label!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I'm a big proponent of going with the Atari 800XL or similar 8-bit computer instead of the 5200. A good chunk of the library is exactly the same and the games play the same (the 5200 is basically an 800 computer at heart) and you can use normal joysticks so no headaches with the 5200 controllers and add to the fact that the computers have a vastly larger and more diverse library of games not just on cart but disk as well, and there are modern disk drive alternatives so you don't need to fuss with those either.
    I've been debating on whether or not to get an A8 or an XEGS for about a year now. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I really like the A8's ports of Archon, Realm of Impossibility, and Orc Attack. The A8's version of Spyhunter IMO is probably the best of any of the 8 bit computers. Spyhunter on the A8 is even better than my beloved C64. I really think the A8 would be a nice addition to my vintage computer collection. BTW, out of curiosity does the A8 have a comparable version of the C64's SD2IEC ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSO8YaT4OhE
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 06-11-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The Gameboy Color. I don't know if the original Gameboy had a screen that was easier to see, but the GBC was a real pain in the neck to try viewing while playing games. I had my GBC for about 6 months and sold it, after many a frustrating hour trying to see the games I was playing on it. I even had a knock-off of the light boy, and found it to be almost useless.