Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Name a system you have no desire to play again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    The 5200?

That system is the best Atari ever released. If you want 80's arcade goodness, there really is no other choice.
    I know I'm a broken record on this but I'd always recommend an 800XL over the 5200 - same library for the most part and no need to fiddle with wonky controllers. 800XL's are pretty affordable too.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    The 5200?

That system is the best Atari ever released. If you want 80's arcade goodness, there really is no other choice.
    Most of the good arcade games (or popular arcade games) are available on the NES and/or 2600 and 7800, which are all systems that are vastly superior to the 5200 in my book.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    Most of the good arcade games (or popular arcade games) are available on the NES and/or 2600 and 7800, which are all systems that are vastly superior to the 5200 in my book.
    Space Dungeon with twin sticks, I do not believe you can play it on 7800 or NES. Gremlins saw a VCS port, but is is nothing like the 5200 version. 5200 Pitfall II has extra levels that you cannot get anywhere else. Pac Man on the supersystem is my favorite version by far. What more can I say? 5200 offers an experience that cannot be had on 800XL, 7800, NES, or elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can't really say with honesty that there are systems I would never, ever care about playing again, but there are some that I certainly don't have a problem kinda forgetting about for awhile.

Atari 2600 - this was my first system as a kid, and I should be nostalgic for it. 5 minutes of Air-Sea Battle is fun but other than that I just don't have that retro love for it.

Sega Master System - never owned this originally, but ended up getting one a few years back. Just couldn't get into it.

Nintendo 64 - There are only a handful of games on this system that really speak to me, and overall I just don't get that "retro" feel from the N64, so there isn't a big nostalgia thing with it for me. I just think of the blurry visuals and the fog effects. In a few more years, the N64 will be pretty old, and then maybe I will feel more of a longing to play it ?

Dreamcast - There will be a time when I really, really, really want to play a bunch of Dreamcast games, but right now is not that time. The Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox 1 era is still too recent for me to really be into playing that stuff. I'm usually either all retro and all modern, I don't typically play the stuff that is 10 to 15 years old. It's too recent for the retro love, and I'd rather just play the most up to date stuff if I want semi-modern style gameplay.

PS2 - see Dreamcast

Xbox Original - see Dreamcast

GameCube - see Dreamcast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Dreamcast - There will be a time when I really, really, really want to play a bunch of Dreamcast games, but right now is not that time. The Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox 1 era is still too recent for me to really be into playing that stuff. I'm usually either all retro and all modern, I don't typically play the stuff that is 10 to 15 years old. It's too recent for the retro love, and I'd rather just play the most up to date stuff if I want semi-modern style gameplay.

PS2 - see Dreamcast

Xbox Original - see Dreamcast

GameCube - see Dreamcast
    I think that's a widely shared sentiment being that they're, for the most part, pretty cheap to collect for right now.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    None. I love video games, and that includes the ugly, the janky, the uninspired, and the just plain weird.

You guys who are saying you'll never play the N64 again because of bad graphics. Jeez, you're giving me flashbacks to talking about the NES circa 1995-1996. People were saying the exact same things about systems 2 or more generations old back then too.

Never play the N64 or PlayStation again? This is the classic gaming board, right?
    My sentiments exactly. I've been feeling the same way as I read through this thread.
    Last edited by ShinobiMan; 07-06-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    Kinda off topic but when I did own both an N64 and PS1 we owned both Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing and I gotta tell ya, Crash Team Racing was the better, more popular, and more played kart racing game, hands down, in our house.
    I too have always felt that Crash Team Racing was much more fun than Mario Kart 64. I played the hell out of CTR and eventually got the Japanese import version to play thru that as well. Back on topic, there are probably several systems I won't get around to playing anymore due to time constraints and the real world. But the one system I know for certain that I will never have any earthly desire to ever play again would be the first system my family ever owned: the Atari 2600. There were a few games I enjoyed playing on it back then but I could never go back to that on a regular basis which is probably why I don't even collect for systems pre-Nes. But plain and simple the system just isn't enjoyable to me and I have no nostalgia towards it at all.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC
    None. I love video games, and that includes the ugly, the janky, the uninspired, and the just plain weird.

You guys who are saying you'll never play the N64 again because of bad graphics. Jeez, you're giving me flashbacks to talking about the NES circa 1995-1996. People were saying the exact same things about systems 2 or more generations old back then too.

Never play the N64 or PlayStation again? This is the classic gaming board, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I've been feeling the same way as I read through this thread.
    Again, I can't speak for others but graphics have nothing to do with my dislike for the N64 (although no, I don't care for the graphics of the 32 bit era) but as I already mentioned, for the most part the type of games being produced just didn't appeal to me. THAT'S why I don't care for the systems.

If you don't like the style or type of games, why play it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Those who say they'll never play a particular system based in graphics power remind me of people who refuse to watch black & white movies or silent films just because they look archaic compared to today.

A plea to those who think that way... have an open mind! Don't let the standards of today keep you from enjoying something classic. Many of the systems being listed in this thread indeed have multiple brilliant games. Let's enjoy them for what they are and not make comparisons!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Little Miss Gloom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    littlemissgloom

I don't want to feel like I'm justifying myself, but for me it was plain and simple the games on the N64 and the PS2. I hate the N64's controller, which doesn't help.

If the N64 took more risks with 2D-styled games like Mischief Makers and actually -had- RPGs other than Ogre Battle and Paper Mario on it, maybe I'd give it a fairer shot. I grew up with a PS1 also, and that's where all of the experimental RPGs that I loved made a home.

PS2 just went in a weird direction for me. I can't actually explain it - and no amount of rationalizing or writing out why makes any real sense, and likely makes me seem pretty ignorant. The PS2's library just went in a direction from the PS1 library that I wasn't ready for. Not to say there aren't classics. I love Devil May Cry and We <3 Katamari ... but there's something just lacking on the PS2 that the PS1 captured so perfectly. Lots of great compilations and collections, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC

Again, I can't speak for others but graphics have nothing to do with my dislike for the N64 (although no, I don't care for the graphics of the 32 bit era) but as I already mentioned, for the most part the type of games being produced just didn't appeal to me. THAT'S why I don't care for the systems.

If you don't like the style or type of games, why play it?
    It's perfectly reasonable to not like games of a certain generation. Look at cars over the years. Personally, I think nearly everything produced in the late 70's and 80's should be completely forgotten. It was a (really rough) transition period, and gave way to some of the great engine designs of today. Still, those cars sucked something fierce.

If there was a transition period for games, the 32-bit era was it (which isn't to say that I don't like the games from that generation. Quite the opposite).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the Atari 2600. I had fun playing those games back when I was little but they're too simple for me to have any enjoyment with.

PS One - to a certain extent its hard to go back to games from that generation due to the rampant low framerates, clipping and such. I find that I have little patience for the games that had a gem of a good idea but were marred by technical issues.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For a "classic gaming" forum a lot of people sure don't want to play classic games.......

Seriously though, being a student of the hobby and having as big of a passion for playing and collecting classic games I've got to say that there is NO system I wouldn't want to collect for and play. Even though I said Saturn and Dreamcast earlier on I still plan on playing them and building the collection.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Little Miss Gloom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    littlemissgloom

For a "classic gaming" forum a lot of people sure don't want to play classic games.......

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	McKayla-is-not-impressed.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	6877  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Seriously though, being a student of the hobby and having as big of a passion for playing and collecting classic games I've got to say that there is NO system I wouldn't want to collect for and play. Even though I said Saturn and Dreamcast earlier on I still plan on playing them and building the collection.
    That's certainly a reasonable perspective but for me personally I've been through the whole "collect anything and everything" way of collecting and I found I lost enjoyment. Space and money are also issues. Sure there might be some interesting precrash systems that I'd love to find and at least try but I simply have no place to put all of these. I already downsized, getting rid of those systems I played the least or not at all which included N64, PS1, Dreamcast, Intellivision, ZX Spectrum, Commodore Vic-20 and others I can recall at the moment.

If someone has the time and desire to "collect it all" I think that's fantastic but I don't like the idea that if someone doesn't like, play or collect for certain consoles then they are somehow less of a collector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For myself, the Odyessy2. If I'm not mistaken, the best selling game on that console was a Pac-man clone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now [Needler's] got more time to clean his bong and get high.
    He struck me as the type who drinks his bong's water after smoking.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Just counting systems I've actually owned, I doubt I'll ever play Arcadia 2001 again. I think I probably still have one in the basement, but I doubt it will ever turn up unless I move. I'm certainly not going to look for it.

The rest, if I'm not playing it again, it's because I can play the games on a newer system, like my original GameBoy, I'm probably not going to be playing that again, but that's because I can play the games on my GBASP. (or my GBA, or my GBC, or my SuperGB)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I get the sneaking suspicion that some of you don't even like to play retrogames or just do so because it's hipster trendy. Now some of the really obscure stuff mentioned, that makes sense as most of the time obscure consoles are that way because they were either designed poorly or use a technology in its infancy. However NES, Atari VCS, PS2, N64, TurboGrafx-16? What is this, out-snob time on the playground at boarding school? I really don't care for the Master System but there are a couple great games on it. Same thing with N64, don't really care a ton for the hardware but games like F-Zero X and Starfox 64 are great fun. The Vectrex being obscure?! Sure when compared to the Atari VCS but then again what isn't from that era? 5200 controllers suck for most of the games but there are some great arcade conversions on the console. Sega CD? If it wasn't for a few RPG's and adventure games then I guess it could be banished to the waste bin... oh wait, SCD Popful Mail is my favorite game on that entire hardware family (Genesis / SCD / 32X) so I guess I can't do that. You know what I primarily play on my Saturn? The Capcom Generation series (JPN) because they play better than the import PS1 equivalents and better than the PS2 compilation.

That people look at video game systems as something in the form of a rotting pile of dung that they are repulsed at the nature of ever having another (or in the case of some comments, a first) encounter with is, well... insane. There's entertainment everywhere in this industry and in the history of this industry. You can have systems that you don't generally like, that you don't care to own, but if you're telling me there won't be SOMETHING that you'll at least have some small form of enjoyment and entertainment playing a game on, even if it's just for three minutes, then my mind is blown in disbelief that someone can miss the point of video games so horribly. There are bad games, but to cast aside entire hardware catalogs as unplayable makes no sense.

You know what, I have no desire to ever play an Adventurevision again because it's just too damn red. Maybe if I found one for $5.00 at a yard sale... ...who am I kidding, it has a pretty solid version of Defender for a little tabletop box of LEDs.

At least the removal of needler420 is something spectacular to come out of this thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think people are lumping "I have no desire to play this again" (which is the thread title) with "this machine sucks and anyone who likes it is stupid and beneath me"

Again I make the comparison with movies, not many people LOVE every movie ever made, many don't like certain genre's of movies such as horror, period drama's, or Adam Sandler. Does that mean they're snobs and are just posers about being movie fans? Of course not, that's a ridiculous statement.

The same is true for video games. Not every game and every system is going to appeal to everyone. Just because someone doesn't like the 2600, the N64 or the Master System doesn't mean they aren't really gamers.