Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    I don't know if the original Gameboy had a screen that was easier to see
    Lemme put it this way, after playing an original Game Boy, the GBC looks crystal clear, haha.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    The Gameboy Color. I don't know if the original Gameboy had a screen that was easier to see, but the GBC was a real pain in the neck to try viewing while playing games. I had my GBC for about 6 months and sold it, after many a frustrating hour trying to see the games I was playing on it. I even had a knock-off of the light boy, and found it to be almost useless.
    Try tracking down a Gameboy Advance SP, model AGS-101. It has a backlit screen (like the DS Lite) and plays GB/GBC/GBA games, but is annoyingly pricey if the seller knows what xe has...somewhere around US$60-$95, depending on where you get it.
    I hate it when people write their initials on a game cart's label. Can't get it off without ruining part of the label!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenenator View Post
    Try tracking down a Gameboy Advance SP, model AGS-101. It has a backlit screen (like the DS Lite) and plays GB/GBC/GBA games, but is annoyingly pricey if the seller knows what xe has...somewhere around US$60-$95, depending on where you get it.
    I've had my GBA SP for a really long time. Yes, I have played Gameboy games on it.

I just think that the screen on the Gameboy Color sucked ass!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I will happily replay any of the consoles I've played even the Jaguar although for this topics purpose it is the one I can do without. I regret selling my N64 now that they go for 45-85 bucks in my area. That said most of the games I recall fondly are available on new platforms and often improved upon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    BTW, out of curiosity does the A8 have a comparable version of the C64's SD2IEC ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSO8YaT4OhE
    sorry for the slow reply but yes there is the sio2pc and the atarimax carts, which I'm considering purchasing soon

http://www.atarimax.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenenator View Post
    Try tracking down a Gameboy Advance SP, model AGS-101. It has a backlit screen
    Very true, I can see those wanting the original gameboy or gbc's for collecting purposes but to actually PLAY gameboy or gameboy color games you're better off with a GBA SP or the gamecubes gameboy player. I can't imagine ever wanting to play an original gameboy today unless you are REALLY nostalgic for it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) stlgamer75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a few of these systems in my collection that I own more for curiosity sake. Actually playing them are not high on my list.

Arcadia 2001 - just a poor man's 2600
    3DO - nothing compelling me to plug in and play
    Atari 5200 - same games are better on my 7800
    PS1 & N64 - maybe someday again but I prefer the Saturn from this era. Most of the PS1 games I own are sports titles I bought at the time to play with my college friends and have no value in 2016. N64 was purchased solely for Mario 64 and Ocarina.
    Last edited by stlgamer75; 07-10-2016 at 08:33 AM.
    Check out my retro gaming blog - Cartridge Corner
    http://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

Console of the Month: PlayStation

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Any game boy or gba system.
    Having both game boy player and super game boy it's like why bother. I don't play portable games like i used to and i find it a pain in the ass to haul them around.

I don't like hauling my phone along either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The Philips CD-i I could do without. I have a few of the (allegedly) top games for the machine but they aren't worth hooking it up again for. The 3DO is another one I wouldn't be bothered if I never played it again. I've got a few games for it, but none really do anything for me.

I can do without playing a Nintendo console and/or handheld ever again, with the exception of the GameCube. I've never cared for Nintendo (their business practices in the '80s put me off them) but I did have a GameCube and it had a few games I liked, the Phantasy Star Online series being the primary ones. I'd rather slam my testicles in a car door than play an N64 again.

The Neo Geo Pocket Color is another one that I never really took a liking to. I never cared for the D-pad at all, and none of the games really sparked with me.

The Sega Master System was a total dud for me. I had wanted to get one for the longest time, and when I finally got one in the late '90s I found that all the games I tried were dull as dishwater. I've bought multiple games since that are allegedly better than the fourteen or fifteen that I got with the system, but I can't muster the drive to ever hook it up again.

I have a few machines that I've never bothered to even hook up to see if they work - the Action Max, the ViewMaster Interactivision, the Memorex VIS... I know they wouldn't be worth the effort of setting up just to play it for a few minutes and then toss in a box in a closet and never look at again.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

This topic still makes me kinda sad, with the way people are completely writing off entire systems/libraries, when practically every system in existence has some excellent games in its library. When most have libraries with at least dozens of games, if not hundreds, you'd have to have VERY specific tastes to not find anything that appeals to you. But with most of these posts, it seems more like a case of sweeping generalizations made from a result of very limited experience, which to me is very much not in the spirit of this board.

Insert Coin (Level 0) stlgamer75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    This topic still makes me kinda sad, with the way people are completely writing off entire systems/libraries, when practically every system in existence has some excellent games in its library. When most have libraries with at least dozens of games, if not hundreds, you'd have to have VERY specific tastes to not find anything that appeals to you. But with most of these posts, it seems more like a case of sweeping generalizations made from a result of very limited experience, which to me is very much not in the spirit of this board.
    I think the point for those of us saying we would be ok not playing a certain system again is, with the number of consoles out there in existence and the limited time we may have to play them, some simply won't get the deep dive attention they may deserve in order to find the hidden gem in the console's library. And we have accepted that and are ok with it. I admit I have a very limited experience with the 3DO and at this point, I've accepted that and come to terms with it.
    Check out my retro gaming blog - Cartridge Corner
    http://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

Console of the Month: PlayStation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I agree to a point, but in my defense I also have biases and discriminations that I've developed over a lifetime of vidja game nerdery that I can't get past (like the N64's horrific controller making that system dead to me). I do have strange and obscure systems that I love that nobody else does, and I'll be able to find at least one good game on most consoles. On the GameWave, it's Letter Zap. On the Gizmondo, it's Sticky Balls. On the Xavix GamePort, it's Bowling. For the Nuon, it's Tempest 3000. Most machines have at least one title that makes the system worth owning (although I have yet to figure out which game makes the RCA Studio II deserving of existence). Either I haven't found a particular system's "killer app", or I have and found it underwhelming for whatever reason.

When it comes to games, it all comes down to personal taste. And some systems just don't have anything that suit my taste, like the Memorex VIS. Or in the case of the Philips CD-i, it's a system that was not really designed for action games but was channeled into that space in an attempt to keep the machine alive in the marketplace. So it only has a small percentage of titles in its library that qualify as games, and even fewer that suit my tastes. I also don't have the MPEG card or some of the better rated games for it, so as it is now, there's no drive to ever play it again. Nothing against the system, it's just my own needs aren't being met with the games I have for it.

When it comes to dismissing a company's output like Nintendo, it's my own dislike at how they conducted themselves in the US market. Fake chip shortages to price gouge American consumers, bullying companies to drop Atari and Sega systems, their draconian policies towards developers... I developed a prejudice against them, stopped buying games for the NES, and supported all of their competitors. It was about the time of the GameCube that I had mellowed and decided to forgive them and start buying their games again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i wouldsay the jaguar...i had that system along with the jag cd for a while...but i miss avp, doom, and tempest 2k.

however i can deal without ever owning the cd attachment ever again.

also there is very little on the 3do that interests me any more....it used to be ssf2t...but several great versions of that game exist now

also the atari lynx...dont care about that one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Odyssey 2 - blockier than blocky

FINALLY - my 100th POST!!!
    VectorGamer.com
    YouTube: TheRetrocade
    @RealVectorGamer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sam Coupe' and Aquarius...nuth said

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I guess I haven't used the right turd yet, but in like 30 years of it I've yet to bump into a console I thought was so awful I'd never want to touch it again, even the failures...yes even WiiU even if I sold it in disgust. Mind you some I wouldn't actually pay much of any for, but if I bumped into it to play or buy stupid cheap in some cases yeah.

I've had ever single Nintendo console including all their base handhelds and the virtual boy. I've had ever Sega system and handheld, Sony system and handheld, and a Turbo Duo. I've had the NGPC and have my MVS now. I've had a Fairchild Channel F I inherited from mom years ago (wish my dolt father hadn't thrown it out after I moved without any warning or I'd have paid to ship it.) I've used/had a 2600 and access to the 7800 too. I've used a Jaguar and 5200 (which not busted sticks.) Vectrex a neighbor had too when I was a little kid.

The only thing close I suppose would be stuff I was forced to use at work in the day (the xbox) as it sucks. The 360 I could care less about but I'd use it with friends, and I have done that with the One. I've used a 3DO before in various stores in the day and it was nice, just not for that price. Never had the system but used a very accurate emulator and played much of the library and like it -- Colecovision.

I've never bothered with any of the other late 70s/early 80s turd boxes pre-NES(or Famicom) people dump on or the Intellivision either. Anything I've at least touched I'd desire to use or even own in some cases again if the games were there and the mood suited me. I guess I'm unique in that nothing made me hate it enough to just want to burn it from my existence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interested to see if the release of the psone classic changes peoples minds about the 32 bit era comments in this thread.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heh, so you don't feel ganged up on, Dreamcast is definitely high up there for me in terms of this question. I'll never understand how so many retro gamers put it on such a high pedestal as if it's one of the best systems ever made and objectively awesome. What the heck are they playing on it? Because mine is one of the most unplayed systems I own. I have the Video Game Collector issue with the photo checklist for the system, so I've looked through the whole US library. So much of it is shovelware and licensed junk like the PlayStation was getting, and of the notable games, most I feel pretty "meh" about.

I think Dreamcast fans need to accept that it doesn't represent all genres very well. I mean, I love the N64 and can't understand why some people would mention it in a topic like this, but, at the same time, I know that the lack of some genres keeps some people from enjoying it. Actually, it's a good comparison because the Dreamcast and N64 are opposite in some ways, like how the N64 lacks in (decent) fighters and shmups, but the Dreamcast has a fair number (although you have to import for plenty of them). Me, I love platformers and RPGs most of all genres, and the Dreamcast just sucks for those. The Sonic Adventure games are good, but definitely not great (and plenty of their content isn't so much platforming but stupid shit like tediously scavenger hunting for emeralds for 15 freakin' minutes while awful hip hop is playing in the background), and beyond those, there's practically nothing worthwhile for a platformer fan. For RPGs, you got Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2, and that's basically it. That's assuming you even enjoy those in the first place.

Granted, I still want to dig into the library more, but I don't see anything ever significantly changing my opinion of the Dreamcast or making me play it much more often than I do now.
    I am replying to this post even if it is an old post.
    I think the Dreamcast has sort of a "reverse E.T." thing going. You know how everyone says E.T. for the 2600 sucks and they hate it and it's the worst game ever, even though they've never played it or even seen an Atari 2600? Well, The Dreamcast is sort of the reverse of that. Everyone says it's great and they love it and it's the best system ever even though they've never played it or even seen one. At least on the internet. In real life, no one even knows what a Dreamcast is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Sega 32x, due to its reliability issues and lack of games that interest me. The only game on it that I played and which I still like is Space Harrier (it's a great port of the Arcade Version, or so I read.) Even Space Harrier isn't an exclusive, but it's the only 32x game I look back on fondly. I never played Kolibri, though, which I wanted to try at the time (2003 - 2005.)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Slate For This Useful Post:

Steve W (04-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I could never get the 32X to be stable. I used the metal tabs on the inside of the cartridge slot, and without. I used it with a Model 1 and a Model 2, and there was no difference. The 32X was just fundamentally unstable. It would just freeze or glitch if the 32X had a strong breeze hit it. I always liked T-Mek and Shadow Squadron, but it was just too much trouble to keep running. With emulation it's far easier to play 32X games and letting me play games I couldn't play before (like Darxide) and find the gems in the library, although I still can't give a damn about Metal Head.