Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    Shenmue is a waste of time and overrated.
    No. No. No.
    Shenmue is great but a game some either love it or hate it. It's not for everyone. First is chapter 1 to set up the story so is deliberately slow paced like a old point & click adventure game. Shenmue II is more action focused and continuing the story chapters 3-6 (2 is a manga)
    This was supposed to be a 16 chapter story and we only got 6 of them.
    Last edited by Ryudo; 10-16-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    A low opinion of the Jaguar is one thing, but just so we're clear, the poor animation you speak of in AVP isn't the fault of the console. It's not like the Jaguar itself is cleaving out frames of animation or something, they just weren't there to begin with. It's not hard to find games that are visually underwhelming for "64-bits" in the Jaguar library but it's definitely a case of developers being without the time or proper resources to really take advantage of the hardware.
    We are clear. I understand that a system, regardless of how powerful it is, cannot magically transform the crap work of programmers into something worthwhile that fully showcases what a system can do. (Not entirely sure if I knew that as a kid, though.) Sadly, as powerful or unpowerful as its 64-bits were, the Jaguar was evidently not a magical system.

Also, I remember the programmers of Wolfenstein 3D for the Jaguar were too lazy to program the corpse of a character to lie on the ground in such a way that it didn't rotate as you moved around it so that it was always "facing" you. I was hoping that the Jaguar was going to take me to new heights of realism, so I was infuriated when its first-person games lacked any credible realism. The Jaguar was supposed to be the system that brought us virtual reality, if you recall. Of course, that plan was scrapped.

http://jagcube.atari.org/jaguarvr.html

Once again... steaming.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    I was hoping that the Jaguar was going to take me to new heights of realism, so I was infuriated when its first-person games lacked any credible realism. The Jaguar was supposed to be the system that brought us virtual reality, if you recall.
    Ahahahaha! Ah, *gasp* Ah, *gasp* Aaaahahahaha! Wow! What were you thinking?!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are some systems that are unimpressive enough to be dismissed in terms of both hardware and software. Then there are others that have severe hardware issues, but have gameplay potential that would get truncated off my want list. I do know for a fact one possible incorrect answer to this question is Dreamcast.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We are clear. I understand that a system, regardless of how powerful it is, cannot magically transform the crap work of programmers into something worthwhile that fully showcases what a system can do. (Not entirely sure if I knew that as a kid, though.) Sadly, as powerful or unpowerful as its 64-bits were, the Jaguar was evidently not a magical system.

Also, I remember the programmers of Wolfenstein 3D for the Jaguar were too lazy to program the corpse of a character to lie on the ground in such a way that it didn't rotate as you moved around it so that it was always "facing" you. I was hoping that the Jaguar was going to take me to new heights of realism, so I was infuriated when its first-person games lacked any credible realism. The Jaguar was supposed to be the system that brought us virtual reality, if you recall. Of course, that plan was scrapped.

http://jagcube.atari.org/jaguarvr.html

Once again... steaming.
    Your post highlights arguably the most serious problem with the Jaguar and that is the game library's failure to live up to the expectations created by the marketing that accompanied the console. The ads for the Jaguar made it out to be fuckin' awesome and the multitude of (vapourware) games mentioned in some of those ads painted the Jaguar library to be something it was not. Personally, I don't often get the urge to fire up my Jaguar but there are games that I definitely go back to when I do, and that's as someone who was initially disappointed by the thing. This whole thread is kind of ridiculous because there has to be at least one game on a given console that would deserve your play, or at least your curiousity.

That Jaguar VR helmet is, so I have read, supposed to be pretty sweet if you're playing Missile Command 3D with it but the hardware was never really finalized, it wasn't used as a selling feature of the Jaguar and thusly it can't really be judged like a regular peripheral. Also, corpses face you in every FPS that I can think of that uses scaling sprites for enemies.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't hate on any system, but there are a ton that I can see myself never playing again.

Playstation 1 and 2, the Original Xbox, Game Gear, Anything pre NES, maybe even the NES itself, the Master System, The original Gameboy.

Not that they are bad systems, I just see me picking up other games and systems well before them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Undecided about PC-FX and FM Towns Marty. Embarrassingly I didn't get around to attempting to play a game on those. MSX2 I couldn't even test because I'd had a model whose power supply is impossible to find outside Japan.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Out of all the systems I own the only one that I really couldnt find anything on that I liked was the CDI. I probably have about and hour of playtime on it all together.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    GAH...talk like that will get your gamer's license revoked. Blasphemy I say, BLASPHEMY!!

You mentioned shovelware, are you sure you're not thinking of the Wii? It's small and white like the DC with 4 controller ports.

All kidding aside, it's a damn shame you think that of the DC and Saturn, they're two of my most favorite systems. But then, to each their own I suppose. I can't expect to get you to like them anymore than you could get me to hate them but I have to wonder, were you there at the ground floor of it or did you experience them well after the fact?

Anyway...I can't conjure up any system that I have absolutely no desire to play again. The only system I can think of that might even be close to this would be the PC-FX. I owned one several years ago and just could not get into the system. To be fair, I only had 3 titles for the system (pretty sure I bought it as a bundle) and the titles I did have either weren't fun or had a steep language barrier that prevented me from playing them. I ended up selling the machine to my friend when I was in a tough spot but if I had held on to the system, I'm sure I would have sought out the desirable/popular titles for it and give me a reason to want to play it again at some point.

Honestly, most of my systems I can't be arsed to hook back up. That said, I own some titles for each system that would make me want to hook them up if I got the wild hair up my arse to play them. Some titles like Dragon Force actually force me to NOT hook up the systems as I do not want to get addicted to them all over again.
    I was there for release for both,
    I got the saturn as a belated birthday present from my best friend at the time, I had mentioned that the guardian heroes game looked amazing, so he bought me the system with panzer dragoon (we coudn't find gh at first) and my god that game was soo horrible! it was a bunch of triangles shooting at other triangles, I think your mess of triangles was spose to be a dragon? either way it was awfull, gh was amazing so I had hopes for the system but every game was a pile of disapointment (aside from a few rpgs) I tried to like it but blech.

dreamcast was an xmas present, and I got sonic adventure (not even going to get into that steaming turd) and marvel vs capcom 1, mediocre fighting games seemed to be the only thing done well on the system (i'll admit soul calibur was kinda fun for 2 minutes), just nothing on the system grabbed me other than pso. definatly a system that will forever sit in the closet (sadly I think I have 3-4 of them in there)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really it has got to be Studio II and R-Zone. For a system that wasn't bad by design, Intellivision.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    I was there for release for both,
    I got the saturn as a belated birthday present from my best friend at the time, I had mentioned that the guardian heroes game looked amazing, so he bought me the system with panzer dragoon (we coudn't find gh at first) and my god that game was soo horrible! it was a bunch of triangles shooting at other triangles, I think your mess of triangles was spose to be a dragon? either way it was awfull, gh was amazing so I had hopes for the system but every game was a pile of disapointment (aside from a few rpgs) I tried to like it but blech.
    Referring to Panzer Dragoon as horrible? Even at that time? You're entitled to your opinion, son, but that still makes you wrong.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2600, NES, PS1 and PS2... What the hell guys? I understand if you haven't bothered to properly look into Saturn, DC or N64 and came to the conclusion that there's nothing worth of playing on those anyway, in which case you opinion isn't worth much, but how can you say you don't want to play anything on some of those four? What do you play then? I want to know...
    Last edited by Korppi; 10-16-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    Shenmue is a waste of time and overrated.

You can have a ton of fun by visiting edgeemu.net and picking up these SHUMP for the DC.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/...-shooters.html
    I'll look into those other games but I usually try to avoid imports as they'd be a pain to track down, plus while I do like shmups but they usually aren't my favourite types of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    No. No. No.
    Shenmue is great but a game some either love it or hate it. It's not for everyone. First is chapter 1 to set up the story so is deliberately slow paced like a old point & click adventure game. Shenmue II is more action focused and continuing the story chapters 3-6 (2 is a manga)
    This was supposed to be a 16 chapter story and we only got 6 of them.
    I like point & click adventure games, that's usually one of my favourite genres. The problem with Shenmue so far is that the characters are boring with horrible English voice acting so I'm not really interested in the story so far. Plus while it's impressive how you can interact with everything in the game, most stuff doesn't do anything interesting or get any type of meaningful response. I can turn on my own lights or look through my own closets without needing any game if I just wanted to look at stuff for no reason, I probably wouldn't hate this so much except the animations are way too long when you interact with things. The thing I dislike the most is the real time clock with the other characters moving around their own shedule. Just when I'm starting to get into it everyone closes shop and it gets dark so I'm forced to stop. Usually with most adventure games the characters stay in one spot until you've accomplished some specific task, they only move once you've accomplished something and progressed forward in the game. This game reminds me of Lure of the Temptress where people keep wandering around town on their own, when you need to find someone to progress in the game you have to keep wandering around the town just hoping to run into them.

I don't outright hate Shenmue, it just seems decent right now. I'll play it a bit longer to see if it picks up. If it doesn't I'll just sell it, and probably my Dreamcast too.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Heh, so you don't feel ganged up on, Dreamcast is definitely high up there for me in terms of this question. I'll never understand how so many retro gamers put it on such a high pedestal as if it's one of the best systems ever made and objectively awesome. What the heck are they playing on it? Because mine is one of the most unplayed systems I own. I have the Video Game Collector issue with the photo checklist for the system, so I've looked through the whole US library. So much of it is shovelware and licensed junk like the PlayStation was getting, and of the notable games, most I feel pretty "meh" about.

I think Dreamcast fans need to accept that it doesn't represent all genres very well. I mean, I love the N64 and can't understand why some people would mention it in a topic like this, but, at the same time, I know that the lack of some genres keeps some people from enjoying it. Actually, it's a good comparison because the Dreamcast and N64 are opposite in some ways, like how the N64 lacks in (decent) fighters and shmups, but the Dreamcast has a fair number (although you have to import for plenty of them). Me, I love platformers and RPGs most of all genres, and the Dreamcast just sucks for those. The Sonic Adventure games are good, but definitely not great (and plenty of their content isn't so much platforming but stupid shit like tediously scavenger hunting for emeralds for 15 freakin' minutes while awful hip hop is playing in the background), and beyond those, there's practically nothing worthwhile for a platformer fan. For RPGs, you got Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2, and that's basically it. That's assuming you even enjoy those in the first place.

Granted, I still want to dig into the library more, but I don't see anything ever significantly changing my opinion of the Dreamcast or making me play it much more often than I do now.

Junker Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

Actually it's a newer console, the Wii. I just.. Can't stay long with it when I try to play games on it. In fact, I think the most time I spent on an actual Wii game was with Super Mario Galaxy 2, it was definitely a blast to play. Also had some fun with Bully and a couple of others, and once I get the Metroid Prime Trilogy I'm going to enjoy it even more, but other than that, I just don't care for it at all. Most of the time I spent on it honestly was playing games on the Virtual Console, most of which I now own cartridges of thus have no use of playing the VC versions.

But following along with an older console, that's a hard one for me considering that I've got a soft spot for anything retro. I'm torn between the Saturn and the Dreamcast. Now, don't get me wrong, I love both. I really do, there's some absolutely amazing games on them. But honestly, the last time I actually played either was YEARS ago.. I'm talking a ridiculous amount of time ago. Picking one over the other, I think I'm going to say the Dreamcast. Most of the games I played on it were on other consoles, the ones that were exclusives on it were pretty fun while they lasted but I never really saw much in it that others seem to. I agree, it's an underrated console, but it just doesn't have much of anything that interests me. So in the end, I have to say the Dreamcast is the one console I wouldn't care if I never played again.
    "Nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!" ~ Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Ahahahaha! Ah, *gasp* Ah, *gasp* Aaaahahahaha! Wow! What were you thinking?!
    I had and still have a soft spot for ol' Atari. My hopes were that they would return to the world of video games and regain something of their former glory. It just seemed like it should happen- like it was written in the stars. *sigh*

On a less romantic reasoning, my reasoning was that the 16-bit Super Nintendo looked great and was easily twice as good as its 8-bit predecessor, the NES, so how could the 64-bit Jaguar not be four times as kick ass as the SNES? Also, as a kid when I saw that photos of Atari's virtual reality goggle for the Jaguar in a video games magazine, I thought the future had arrived. Clearly it hadn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I like point & click adventure games, that's usually one of my favourite genres.
    I might have guessed as much with your Guybrush Threepwood avatar.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I thought the future had arrived. Clearly it hadn't.
    It had, you just had to have a Neo Geo. :P

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I'll throw in another vote for the Dreamcast. Between the cruddy controller and mediocre library, there's not much on the system I really want to play anymore, save Power Stone 1 and 2, and Crazy Taxi. I had my fair share of junk like Sonic Adventure and I can't stand playing fighters that otherwise would be great like SFIII 3rd Strike and Mark of the Wolves with the horrible controller! Haven't hooked up mine in at least a year.

Maybe one of these days I'll pick up Shenmue and give it a shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atari 7800. It was a turd. The 5200 was a better machine.