Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Atari 7800. It was a turd. The 5200 was a better machine.
    though I do not dislike the 7800, I also think the 5200 is a far better console! the 5200 is such a misunderstood, underrated, and underappreciated machine… the internet lemmings have made it cool to hate on the 5200

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I'll throw in another vote for the Dreamcast. Between the cruddy controller and mediocre library, there's not much on the system I really want to play anymore, save Power Stone 1 and 2, and Crazy Taxi. I had my fair share of junk like Sonic Adventure and I can't stand playing fighters that otherwise would be great like SFIII 3rd Strike and Mark of the Wolves with the horrible controller! Haven't hooked up mine in at least a year.

Maybe one of these days I'll pick up Shenmue and give it a shot.
    I can see why people would say the Dreamcast even though I still think the N64 has less of a redeeming value. The Dreamcast only had about 5 games that were really fun and alot of "meh" ones. I liked Crazi Taxi, Resident Evil CV but there was very little else. Shenmue can be fulfilling if u really give the time needed for it. Alot of the DC's games ended up on the PS2 or Gamecube.

I think I just liked the fact that after the Dreamcast was in my closet for a while that I could take it out,burn NesterDC and play some NES games as well as burn some Japanese Shumps that are hidden gems IMHO. Basically whatever downfalls the Dreamcast had in its library it was super easy to play backups on it. It has had a nice run after its official EOL nearly 10 years ago.

Also,the 2d looks really good on the Dreamcast and the 3D is still is developed enough so it doesn't take away from the gaming experience.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 10-17-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still waiting for someone to mention the Mattel Aquarius.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Although, not a true exclusive, Pitfall II has a 2nd level only available on the 5200, and 400/800 computer systems. Pitfall II is the best reason to own the Atari 5200.
    Thanks for this info!
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In our house, we still own an N64 with all of the games made by Rare. I haven't played them to completion and it's on my list of things to do someday. The last time we ran the Dreamcast, my son was a toddler. He's 10 now. The curious one is the Wii. We buy games for it on a regular basis, but never seem to sit down and complete one. Could it be because it shares the Nintendo "blurry graphics" syndrome that the Cube and N64 have? Our other current gen consoles get played more regularly and usually to completion in a reasonable amount of time.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dreamcast for me. I don't play fighters too much, so that leaves out some of the best games on the system.

I was gonna say the Jaguar, but I recently got one in a trade and am digging the thing. Playing Missle Command 3D, Tempest, and my new favorite racing game...."Power Drive Rally"! That game is so much fun in a RC ProAm/Micro Machine's sort of way!!!

As far as 2600 being on people's list....that is a system that gets played weekly in our house. We have family game night and always end up playing MAZE CRAZE, SLOT RACERS, INDY 500, WARRING WORMS, and a bunch of great homebrews!

The 2600 really is a lot more fun when playing against someone. In fact, that is were the system shines. Tell me Maze Craze doesn't get your competitive juices flowin' ????

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anything made before NES and anything made after Playstation 1.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Easy. The 3DO. Most of the best games on the system were also released for the PS1 and Saturn.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I don't really have any desire to play any old system(no time) ..when I get the time it's either playing an Xbox 360 game/with my kids(PS3-Wii is collecting dust,not that I don't like them just no time to play multiple systems) ..Or I play something Arcade or Pinball..

But since I do a lot of buying and selling of old systems and games...once I hook up an old system to try a game I enjoy it..I actually have had more fun with games buying and selling them then in my Collecting days...I'll play an old game I'm selling and Really Have a BLAST with it,discovering something I missed.

.I believe because I was trying to build such a huge collection,getting so much stuff at times that I didn't have the time to Enjoy the games I was buying..

I don't collect like I used to,I keep this and that,specifics,games that I know I will play again or unique titles..

I am not into roms,emulation,I have no idea on what is what with that type stuff but I can tell you I have had the most fun messing with games I've had,never played,never seen nor heard of that are loaded on this thing...I am having fun playing old games again..

Insert Coin (Level 0) theredlineboss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hm, I don't have any particular system where I'd say I have no desire to play it again. I guess I could say the original GameBoy, GBA, or the PS1 since I don't bring out those systems very often.

However, I do play those games through other means (taking advantage of backwards compatibility or even a bit o' emulation). So, I really don't think that's fair to the systems, since it's the games that made them what they were. To me, not using the original console but using a later version (PS1/PS2, GB/GBA) instead is akin to using a different controller.

I will say that the I have little to no interest in the RCA Studio II and Fairchild Channel F. That's based on the gameplay videos I've run into on youtube though - I have not used either of those consoles.

-Rob
    Console Collection:
    TeleGames Super Pong, 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Intellivision, ColecoVision, TurboGrafx, 3DO, Master System, Genesis/ CD/ 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game Gear, Lynx, GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, DS, 3DS, NGP, NGPC, WonderSwan & PSP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ZX Spectrum...

The graphism of this system it's really so ugly.. colours are so simply and badly coordinated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Wonderswan would be #1 on my list. I've owned 2 of them and I still can't bring myself to enjoy it. Also, the 5200, for all its graphics upgrade over the 2600, the controler made it a joke.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast
    N64
    NES
    SMS
    Jaguar
    3DO

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    I can see why people would say the Dreamcast even though I still think the N64 has less of a redeeming value. The Dreamcast only had about 5 games that were really fun and alot of "meh" ones. I liked Crazi Taxi, Resident Evil CV but there was very little else. Shenmue can be fulfilling if u really give the time needed for it. Alot of the DC's games ended up on the PS2 or Gamecube.

I think I just liked the fact that after the Dreamcast was in my closet for a while that I could take it out,burn NesterDC and play some NES games as well as burn some Japanese Shumps that are hidden gems IMHO. Basically whatever downfalls the Dreamcast had in its library it was super easy to play backups on it. It has had a nice run after its official EOL nearly 10 years ago.

Also,the 2d looks really good on the Dreamcast and the 3D is still is developed enough so it doesn't take away from the gaming experience.
    I dunno, for me the N64 can still be a blast with 3+ friends. I still can't get enough of the Mario Parties, Pokemon Stadium mini-games, doubles in Mario Tennis, Magical Tetris Challenge, and the original Super Smash Bros. Even though the N64 library may not be the most comprehensive library ever, and it's solo outings have mostly gotten old, but I still love to bring it out and hook it up for some games that for me, will never get old for parties.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My hobbies are mostly language/literature-based such as studying foreign languages, reading classic lit or manga, etc. and this is one reason why I enjoy story-driven games like RPGs, Point-n-Click Adventures, and Visual Novels (with the occassional action-puzzler or platformer thrown in). I don't know how many people here like these genres but if you have a grasp on the language, its hard to hate PS1 and Saturn, even DC, which have a good helping of these titles. Visual Novels are usually voiced with text and is a good way to learn vocabulary. I also like how laid back they are and watching how the plot ends up. I know alot of RPGs are overrated and taken too seriously by some but I don't take most of them too seriously to begin with and just enjoy them as cartoony fluff. Plus, these games are often very cheap to import. So I can't share the Saturn/PS1/DC hatred. The actiony games often weren't even the best ones on those systems!

Anyways, I would probably go with anything Atari, with the exception of maybe the Atari ST. Never cared for them that much, but I do like arcade games from that era instead.
    Last edited by Manhattan Sports Club; 10-18-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

N64 for me too i am afraid as even when i purchased my own back in the day i felt there were no more than maybe 6 or 7 good games for it,i have played a vectrex and love the wireframe vector graphics and in arcade games but thats all that is good about the console as i found the games mostly dreadfull so i have no wish to play that anymore.
    Finally an i am sorry to say this but once i have finished with Aliens Vs Predator the Atari Jag will be added to the list too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

N64:Never liked it's controller and how most of it's good games were third party.

PS1:To a point it's 3D titles haven't aged well visually while it's 2D is good still.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 10-19-2011 at 05:05 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    I don't really have any desire to play any old system(no time) ..when I get the time it's either playing an Xbox 360 game/with my kids(PS3-Wii is collecting dust,not that I don't like them just no time to play multiple systems) ..Or I play something Arcade or Pinball..

But since I do a lot of buying and selling of old systems and games...once I hook up an old system to try a game I enjoy it..I actually have had more fun with games buying and selling them then in my Collecting days...I'll play an old game I'm selling and Really Have a BLAST with it,discovering something I missed.

.I believe because I was trying to build such a huge collection,getting so much stuff at times that I didn't have the time to Enjoy the games I was buying..

I don't collect like I used to,I keep this and that,specifics,games that I know I will play again or unique titles..

I am not into roms,emulation,I have no idea on what is what with that type stuff but I can tell you I have had the most fun messing with games I've had,never played,never seen nor heard of that are loaded on this thing...I am having fun playing old games again..
    I was going to do a long reply too, but this one here almost is exactly how I am outside of having kids. Yet, I do play roms and emulations on my PSP of games that I really love like the SNES Legend of Zelda or something I've missed out on until recently like Genesis Castlevania Bloodlines, even though I do have them on cart in my collection it's far more convenient on my PSP than to hook up the systems and to use vintage old game enhancers with limited code input and no memory storage or save states.

If I had to chose a system that I know I would never start up again it would be the Game Gear. I just cannot see the games on that GG screen. Perhaps all the systems went bad over the years, but every one I've encountered was bleached out white and the screen scuffed up to hell. Even if I could find a decent system to play on, I've yet to find a game that is really worth playing on the GG. Megaman perhaps which is just a port+ and I have a Pengo because I'm old enough to remember it at the arcade, but nothing really killer exciting. They all seem to suck. I'm not a Sonic fan, so if you take away Sonic what else is there that people love on the GG?

My second choice would be the Odyssey˛. I bought the thing at a garage sale as I do feel as a true gamer that I must own one of every game system, but I never enjoyed the thing. I wish I could get rid of it, but it's so damned large that I'd never find a proper box to ship the thing out to anyone. I am old enough to remember the second generation well, but for some reason the Odyssey˛ escaped me. I never knew it existed until I bought mine at a garage sale in the late 90s. The kids in the neighborhood and I had stuff like Atari 2600/Intellivision/Colecovision, so what was an Odyssey˛? Those other systems I can barely play today just to remember the good old days, but the Odyssey˛ has none of that for me and it just seems awful to play. I've not fired mine up for at least 10 years I do believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I'd probably say Atari 2600. When I was a kid we had a Coleco, then I went from there to NES. Some of my friends had Ataris, but never us.

I actually did have some fun with one I got from Secret Santa a few years ago for a few weeks... but now the Atari lives on a coworker's desk and he plays with it more than I ever would - because it was HIS childhood system. I didn't really get into many of the games on 2600.

We AV modded it too so he can use on his monitor
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Atari 2600. Nothing in the system's game library makes me say, "Hey, I wish I still had that system."
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould