Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Name a system you have no desire to play again

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see why people wouldn't want to go back and play that 32 bit era stuff early era 3D is rough. But once you get past the initial shock I've been having a great time lately playing ps1 and n64 games it's like a time machine i just picture myself back in 97 and remember how awesome the games looked at the time. They kind of have a charm to them, and the N64 is even better since it was 64 bit and the games were a lot smoother looking. And i love watching the old cut scenes on so many PS1 titles.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfuzion View Post
    ...i just picture myself back in 97 and remember how awesome the games looked at the time. They kind of have a charm to them
    It's interesting...I honestly felt the exact opposite. In 1997 I thought that most of the games looked HORRIBLE. Like pixelated messeds...tech demos, and little more. By and large, I found the games of that generation to be utterly lacking in charm, something I felt 2D games generations before had in spades.

There were plenty of exceptions, of course. Games like Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei, Tempest 2000 and NiGHTS into Dreams were, and are still, some of my favorite games. But I felt that they were just that, exceptions, not the rule.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    It's interesting...I honestly felt the exact opposite. In 1997 I thought that most of the games looked HORRIBLE. Like pixelated messeds...tech demos, and little more. By and large, I found the games of that generation to be utterly lacking in charm, something I felt 2D games generations before had in spades.

There were plenty of exceptions, of course. Games like Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei, Tempest 2000 and NiGHTS into Dreams were, and are still, some of my favorite games. But I felt that they were just that, exceptions, not the rule.
    As far as the "charm" part goes i was referring to now they have a certain charm to them not back then. And for me i thought most of them were amazing going from the 2600 to a fully realized 3D world i was an awe. Especially with the N64 that had even smoother graphics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

As far as the "charm" part goes i was referring to now they have a certain charm to them not back then. And for me i thought most of them were amazing going from the 2600 to a fully realized 3D world i was an awe. Especially with the N64 that had even smoother graphics.
    You consider(ed) 32-bit 3D environments FULLY realized? That's a stretch, even for the era. :o/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You consider(ed) 32-bit 3D environments FULLY realized? That's a stretch, even for the era. /
    Not a stretch at all for me, you go from a few sprites on the 2600 to a fully 3d world on Mario 64. That was draw dropping for me personally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Not a stretch at all for me, you go from a few sprites on the 2600 to a fully 3d world on Mario 64. That was draw dropping for me personally.
    It probably would have been for me as well, if I haven't experienced 2 generations in between and experienced pseudo 3D games along the way. Or if I was actually impressed with playing in cloudy, mucky, poorly rendered 3D environments versus beautiful 2D sprites.

I don't mean to discredit your (and practically everyone's) enthusiasm for the technical advances of early 32-bit games. I totally understand why gamers were taken by the new 3D dynamic. Technically, it was pretty amazing stuff after all; I just think most companies struggled to make good 'games' with the new technology. I think you're right in that Nintendo's offerings were superior to a lot of what their competitors were doing. Visually, I think that there's early stuff bridged the gap better than most. Their games still seemed very "gamey", if you can understand what I mean.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It probably would have been for me as well, if I haven't experienced 2 generations in between and experienced pseudo 3D games along the way. Or if I was actually impressed with playing in cloudy, mucky, poorly rendered 3D environments versus beautiful 2D sprites.

I don't mean to discredit your (and practically everyone's) enthusiasm for the technical advances of early 32-bit games. I totally understand why gamers were taken by the new 3D dynamic. Technically, it was pretty amazing stuff after all; I just think most companies struggled to make good 'games' with the new technology. I think you're right in that Nintendo's offerings were superior to a lot of what their competitors were doing. Visually, I think that there's early stuff bridged the gap better than most. Their games still seemed very "gamey", if you can understand what I mean.
    if you don't mine me asking how old are you? Because if you are younger and didn't grow up with the evolution of the graphics then yes you will absolutely not appreciate it. I totally understand someone looking back and going what the hell is this? But when i experienced that era for the first time it was mind blowing to me and when i go back and play that era i put myself in that mindset. Even as awful as the 2600 era looks now if i put myself in that first time i experienced it mindset i can enjoy it. It's like video game yoga.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Almost all of them. If it's this much trouble to take pictures of and list these things for sale when being evicted, I'm out. I think I oughtta just buy one for a while and sell it when I don't feel like it anymore. And just buy it again if I want it again.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gameboy, the original. Screen was too small and dimly lit for my liking. I even have a Super Gameboy and GB Player for my Gamecube, but just cannot get into it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pansonic cdi i played one of those zelda games on it and was horrified.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukenukem View Post
    Pansonic cdi i played one of those zelda games on it and was horrified.
    I have heard that these were the absolute worst Zelda games, but could you go into a little detail? What makes them so horrific?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The voice acting and the way the animation is which was clunky.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    I have heard that these were the absolute worst Zelda games, but could you go into a little detail? What makes them so horrific?
    was just playing jet moto 2 today had a hard time getting used to the grappling after not playing for a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

was just playing jet moto 2 today had a hard time getting used to the grappling after not playing for a while.
    The Jet Moto games are some of the best for PSX, IMO, and my favorite memories are playing it against my son. Those were some fun times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

if you don't mine me asking how old are you? Because if you are younger and didn't grow up with the evolution of the graphics then yes you will absolutely not appreciate it. I totally understand someone looking back and going what the hell is this? But when i experienced that era for the first time it was mind blowing to me and when i go back and play that era i put myself in that mindset. Even as awful as the 2600 era looks now if i put myself in that first time i experienced it mindset i can enjoy it. It's like video game yoga.
    I'm 37, and I've been gaming since I was 4. My first console was the Atari 2600, and I've followed gaming every year since, which is what I meant when I talked about not being that impressed with the early 32-bit 3D offerings because of the 2 generations between it and the 2600. I've seen the evolution of gaming up to that point, so it wasn't so huge a leap to me from pseudo3D games of the 16-bit platform (like Starfox, Soul Star, F-Zero, Virtua Fighter, Zaxxon2000 Motherbase, etc.) to the 32-bit ones, as it would be if I skipped them and used the 2600 as a comparative point.

The novelty of 3D worlds, for me, didn't offset the ugliness of those early games, and I just didn't find them all that fun, either. I'll agree though that Nintendo probably did the best job of bridging early 3D technology with classic 'fun' game play. And while Nintendo64 games were also blocky and foggy as hell, many looked a lot better than most of what the other guys were doing.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^the only games to my mind which didn't have that "blocky and ugly" look were the cartoony ones, like Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and Diddy Kong Racing. Ogre Battle is also beautiful, but it used sprites, not 3D, so that didn't count.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that in an experimental sort of way the 32 bit era served its purpose of showing how the 3D could be handled. I think the first time 3d was done very well was dreamcast IMO. granted, i know that was a bit later, but I think thats when the 3d aspect of gaming was fully realized. I don't really like comparing it to the N64 or PS1 due to the difference in time, but this was how I saw it back then:

Tony Hawk for PS1: Really grainy and angular, but the soundtrack is pretty could.

Tony Hawk for N64: Looking a lot better, a bit smoother, but why do I ony have 5 songs, and only half of them

Tony Hawk for DC: Better graphics than the n64 and a full soundtrack.

and to answer the original topic: Game Gear, I had one as a child, the backlit scren was good, but battery life sucked and the library was severely lacking. I always ended up playing my gameboy more.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think a lot depends on the game also, I can play crash bandicoot all day same with spyro. But vigilante 8 was one of my favorite games back then and it's almost unplayable to me now it looks so bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've had the N64 so many times since it came out I can't count. And every single time I try to keep it and enjoy it and although there are some games that I do like, I don't like them enough to keep the system and play it.

Same thing with Dreamcast, I was given one (won it in an online youtube contest actually) but hardly ever played it. Not many games on the system that appealed to me aside from Crazy Taxi.

For those that don't like the Atari 5200 - get the 800XL or one of the line of Atari 8-bit computers - same games for the most part and you don't have to put up with the crappy 5200 controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    has lower compatibility than its distant cousin CDX.
    What games doesn't it play?