Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Modern Top-Tier Games without RPG Elements

  1. #1
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,261
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    237
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

    Default Modern Top-Tier Games without RPG Elements

    RPGs used to be just their own genre - these days they are also a bulletpoint on other game genres' advertisements and boxes. It seems nary a game is released without some sort of RPG mechanic included. But are there any modern "big name" games without these sorts of conventions tagging along anymore? Sometimes you just want to go from A to B with all progress made being because of your skill and not "you defeated a bunch of bad dudes or collected a bunch of things so you are stronger."

    But what is an RPG mechanic? There are so many. The most famous is "defeat guys, get experience, gain levels." But there is also "huge equip-able inventory" where you are carrying a ton of items yet the newest tend to be the strongest. Do upgrades count as an RPG mechanic? I say not unless you get them directly through defeating enemies. What about beating a bunch of baddies, collecting their money/loot, selling it, and using your lucre to buy upgrades from a store? That's a more difficult call.

    What are the modern skill-based games where busywork won't make you stronger?

  2. #2
    Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    G-Boobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,650
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

    Default

    Huh.

    You know, I'm having trouble thinking of any that aren't fighting games. The single played portions of the Uncharted games don't have RPG stuff, and neither do most FPS single player campaigns, but since multiplayer is such an integral part of the package I don't know if they count.

    Catherine is the only one I can think of that absolutely counts without provisos.

  3. #3
    Peach (Level 3) Johnny_Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    689
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I've actually had arguments about what is an RPG element before.

    I consider the perk system and similar systems you see in games like CoD: Modern Warfare or Uncharted an RPG element. I don't however consider unlockable equipment to be an RPG element unless the equipment requires an unlockable ability to use. If I level up and gain an ability/perk/spell that I can then use to customize/create a class it's an RPG element. If I unlock a weapon it's not an RPG element because anyone regardless of class/level can use the weapon if it gets dropped.

    But that's just like, my opinion, man. I can totally understand why people would consider unlockable guns or equipment (regardless how much or little advantage they give) an RPG element, I just don't personally.

    Anyway, by my definition at least the Battlefield games would be a skill based competitive game with no RPG elements. Most fighting games as well obviously.

  4. #4
    Insert Coin (Level 0) SteveSpeeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    87
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hu6800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    RPGs used to be just their own genre - these days they are also a bulletpoint on other game genres' advertisements and boxes. It seems nary a game is released without some sort of RPG mechanic included. But are there any modern "big name" games without these sorts of conventions tagging along anymore? Sometimes you just want to go from A to B with all progress made being because of your skill and not "you defeated a bunch of bad dudes or collected a bunch of things so you are stronger."

    But what is an RPG mechanic? There are so many. The most famous is "defeat guys, get experience, gain levels." But there is also "huge equip-able inventory" where you are carrying a ton of items yet the newest tend to be the strongest. Do upgrades count as an RPG mechanic? I say not unless you get them directly through defeating enemies. What about beating a bunch of baddies, collecting their money/loot, selling it, and using your lucre to buy upgrades from a store? That's a more difficult call.

    What are the modern skill-based games where busywork won't make you stronger?
    Warcraft
    " For the alliance !! "

  5. #5
    Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    G-Boobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,650
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSpeeze View Post
    Warcraft
    ... Huh.

    Troll.jpg.

    Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead are two more.

  6. #6
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,261
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    237
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSpeeze View Post
    Warcraft
    But don't your heroes level up in modern Warcraft games?

  7. #7
    Insert Coin (Level 0) SteveSpeeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    87
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hu6800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    ... Huh.

    Troll.jpg.

    Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead are two more.
    technically , warcraft has a pvp arcade style mode
    you can get achievs and rewards for MERC ing other players.
    you know of a bigger game than warcraft? lol
    " For the alliance !! "

  8. #8
    Insert Coin (Level 0) SteveSpeeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    87
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hu6800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    But don't your heroes level up in modern Warcraft games?
    nah i locked one of my players level feature.
    he cant get above 29 (twink pvp) in modern warcraft there are more options.

    Imaging 50 people across the world gathering in a field ,
    You charge into an enemy city through guards that would normally one shot you if you were alone (and im a tank) work your way halfway through the city and attack thier leader. while you are attacking non stop for 8+ mins (god i feel sorry for the healers lol) other people of the other faction just hanging around decide to jump in and help the leader.
    This happened when we attacked bloodhoof after cata patch btw so it wasnt easy tanking bloodhoof. Me personally i only needed bloodhoof on that toon to get the achiev.. he went down.. and "FOR THE ALLIANCE" flashes across the screen.. we banged our way back out , and headed for the nearest in game mailbox to receive our black bear mounts.
    In that game thats pretty much the most heroic pvp thing you can do so when you are on the bear,,, you are proud. lol

    This wasnt my run or guild... but check it out its pretty hectic lol.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26AmX...eature=related
    Last edited by SteveSpeeze; 10-20-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    " For the alliance !! "

  9. #9
    Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    G-Boobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,650
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSpeeze View Post
    technically , warcraft has a pvp arcade style mode
    you can get achievs and rewards for MERC ing other players.
    you know of a bigger game than warcraft? lol
    We're wandering into pedantics here, but one mode in a game which otherwise entirely revolves around grinding levels and gear doesn't quite make the cut.

  10. #10
    Insert Coin (Level 0) SteveSpeeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    87
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hu6800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    We're wandering into pedantics here, but one mode in a game which otherwise entirely revolves around grinding levels and gear doesn't quite make the cut.
    grinding levels is when you want max level in a week.....
    Ive been playing some of my toons since 2004 lol.
    gear is based on (for pvp) a points system , they also have arena..

    call of duty is like arena ... on in warcraft you cant cheat with a modded controller lol.
    " For the alliance !! "

  11. #11
    Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    G-Boobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,650
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSpeeze View Post
    grinding levels is when you want max level in a week.....
    Ive been playing some of my toons since 2004 lol.
    gear is based on (for pvp) a points system , they also have arena..

    call of duty is like arena ... on in warcraft you cant cheat with a modded controller lol.
    Fair enough. Let me try another tack, here: during the 8 through 128 bit eras, RPG games were their own distinct genre. In the last few years, mechanics traditionally associated with roleplaying games, such as character levels, perks and abilities tied to character levels, loot dropped by enemies, etc., have bled over into other genres of games. Still with me? Ok.

    Now, here's where you're confusing me, because the OP is asking for modern games that do not have RPG mechanics. In such a game, there would be no leveling. No level or skill point enabled perks or abilities. No classes. No item drops. You're asserting that World of Warcraft, the biggest monthly subscription based Online Roleplaying Game in the world right now, is, in fact, a modern game with no levels, no classes, no item drops, no quests, no perks or abilities, and so on. This is a pretty ridiculous assertion.

    I have no doubt that the way you play might meet the criteria set by the OP, but that hardly cancels out the other eleven million people grinding out armor sets and levels in WoW every day.

  12. #12
    ServBot (Level 11) Rob2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,601
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    It seems nary a game is released without some sort of RPG mechanic included. But are there any modern "big name" games without these sorts of conventions tagging along anymore? Sometimes you just want to go from A to B with all progress made being because of your skill and not "you defeated a bunch of bad dudes or collected a bunch of things so you are stronger."...

    ...What are the modern skill-based games where busywork won't make you stronger?
    Off the top of my head:

    Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Goldeneye 007, and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor.

  13. #13
    Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Sunnyvale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    1,287
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

    Default

    My fave of the modern era, the ONLY series that will get me to dust off my 360 (or any 7th Gen console for that matter) has none of that leveling crap.
    L4D.

  14. #14
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Dark World
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Yeah, the Left4Dead games doesn't have ANY of that bullshit. It's straight to the point, balls to the wall action, from beginning to end, over, and over, and over again...and it just never gets old. And I don't even play it online!

    The Katamari games for this generation (Me and My Katamari, and Beautiful Katamari) are pretty straight forward. It's arguable that they're top tier (anymore), but if you're new to them and the formulas not old to you yet, there's a lot of fun to be had.

    Deathsmiles is another that I'm not sure sits on a high tier or not, but it's a wonderful, straight forward bullethell-lite sidescrolling shooter with lots of character.

    Gears of War, is a top tier game that I don't recall any leveling or item management beyond how many grenades and how much ammo you have left. I've only played the first one though.

    Anything HALO is pretty much the same.

    Portal doesn't any RPG elements, AFAIK. I doubt the sequel does either.

    Meteos is highly rated DS puzzler that's straight forward. No item management, leveling, quests, etc. Just matching tiles.

    Lumines is another highly rated puzzle series for the PSP (and PS2) that's straight forward and fun.

    Angry Birds I don't think has any RPG type elements. I've never played it, but from what I understand it's extremely popular and very straight forward.

  15. #15
    Peach (Level 3) dgdgagdae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    682
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Yeah, the Left4Dead games doesn't have ANY of that bullshit. It's straight to the point, balls to the wall action, from beginning to end, over, and over, and over again...and it just never gets old. And I don't even play it online!
    I find that interesting. I think I would like the Left4Dead games, but I can't get my friends to play anything online with me that doesn't start with Call and end with Duty. And I'm not going to play with only a bunch of strangers. L4D is actually fun as a single player game? Or are you saying you do a local multiplayer thing (if that's possible)?

  16. #16
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Dark World
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    I find that interesting. I think I would like the Left4Dead games, but I can't get my friends to play anything online with me that doesn't start with Call and end with Duty. And I'm not going to play with only a bunch of strangers. L4D is actually fun as a single player game? Or are you saying you do a local multiplayer thing (if that's possible)?
    My wife LOVES the game. It's pretty safe to say it's her favorite game of all time, and I play it with her, offline, in split screen coop. I also play it single player a TON though, and it's an absolute blast. This may not be the case for you though if you're someone who can't enjoy single player FPS games anymore because your spoiled by multiplayer. I'm old school though, I hardly play ANY games online, and certainly not FPS.

    I enjoy the simplicity of single player campaigns when there's an actual story, or a goal you're working towards (I'm not so into flag capturing, or death matching, or the same team based firefights over and over again). There are obvious advantages to playing Left 4 Dead (or almost any team based shooter) multiplayer, with real people, but there are also a few AI quirks that will force you to change your game plan a little in single player mode. The main one being that AI partners can't use thrown weapons (pipe bombs, Molotov cocktails and bile bombs), or Melee weapons (an addition in part two), the latter not being such a big deal.

    Any seasoned gamer will get through the campaigns in single player with no problem on the default settings, but the harder difficulty setting will definitely give you a challenge. Especially expert. Half of the achievements for L4D require you to play online, but it's really fun to try to unlock the achievements you can in single player campaigns.

    The Left 4 Dead formula is just so fucking good; it's the most hours I've put into any game in years. I've played it more than all current gen games in my collection combined.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 10-21-2011 at 10:14 AM.

  17. #17
    16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    BlastProcessing402's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,282
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Does Heavy Rain count as top tier?

  18. #18
    Peach (Level 3) Johnny_Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    689
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Does Heavy Rain count as top tier?
    I would say it is. It's probably the best interactive movie ever made. Granted, that's a really niche genre but still.

  19. #19
    ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Cornelius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wrong Place, Wrong Time
    Posts
    3,776
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    72
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    25
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

    Default

    Would Heavenly Sword qualify? It has been a long time since I've played it. I know there were new moves you learned along the way, but I think you could do them all from the start if you know the combo.

    And they aren't really this gen, unless you count the re-release, but Ico and SotC don't have RPG elements that I remember. Well, I guess SotC does if you eat the lizards to increase your stamina (?), but I didn't even learn about that until after finishing, and never tried it.

    How 'bout Mario Party? And I consider the Zelda games to have stuck squarely with the Action/Adventure formula. No leveling or stats, and killing enemies for rupees won't let you buy anything you need.

  20. #20
    Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Sunnyvale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    1,287
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    My wife LOVES the game. It's pretty safe to say it's her favorite game of all time, and I play it with her, offline, in split screen coop. I also play it single player a TON though, and it's an absolute blast. This may not be the case for you though if you're someone who can't enjoy single player FPS games anymore because your spoiled by multiplayer. I'm old school though, I hardly play ANY games online, and certainly not FPS.

    I enjoy the simplicity of single player campaigns when there's an actual story, or a goal you're working towards (I'm not so into flag capturing, or death matching, or the same team based firefights over and over again). There are obvious advantages to playing Left 4 Dead (or almost any team based shooter) multiplayer, with real people, but there are also a few AI quirks that will force you to change your game plan a little in single player mode. The main one being that AI partners can't use thrown weapons (pipe bombs, Molotov cocktails and bile bombs), or Melee weapons (an addition in part two), the latter not being such a big deal.

    Any seasoned gamer will get through the campaigns in single player with no problem on the default settings, but the harder difficulty setting will definitely give you a challenge. Especially expert. Half of the achievements for L4D require you to play online, but it's really fun to try to unlock the achievements you can in single player campaigns.

    The Left 4 Dead formula is just so fucking good; it's the most hours I've put into any game in years. I've played it more than all current gen games in my collection combined.
    Don't forget the AI's habit of wandering back and forth, or waiting till you're incapped to save you from a smoker or whatever...
    Them bots are just health-pack mules.
    And I am with you 100%. I've got more time into L4D than any 6th gen game, let alone 7th.

Similar Threads

  1. Tier lists for obscure or just plain bad fighting games?
    By FrankSerpico in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 09:00 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-08-2013, 11:12 AM
  3. Replies: 371
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 11:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •