Thread: Transporting Your Games

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Transporting Your Games

The title says it all - how do you transport games from one locale to another? I don't mean your whole collection or a large part thereof - I mean when you carry games over to a friend's house or to a party, or if you loan a game or two to a friend or coworker.

Do you use the games' own boxes? A disc spindle like what is sold with CD-R's? Paper sleeves? Generic CD jewel cases? DVD cases? Thin cases? Perhaps disc wallets which hold several discs in internal sleeves? A bag or knapsack of game cartridges? Carts only? Or do you figure for disc-based games they are loaner copies and only share your extra ones with a bit of damage so you don't worry about it?

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I tend to keep everything in its case whether its at my house or on the road. DS games and the like; I typically carry around in one of those multi cases just for ease of carry plus really they're not going to get scratched. I'm far far too OCD to allow any disc based game run rampant through the streets naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

The case it came in.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Well that depends on the system. NES games go in them grey plastic boxes with the black lids. SMS and Genesis games always travel loose, and in them little Genesis soft-shell game cases that look like cassette cases. CD games travel in their original cases. Gameboy or Gamegear games travel in the holder for the console and games, or a book for GBA games. DS games usually travel in those 3rd party loose game carriers. Second gen stuff usually doesn't travel, but if it does, it's in a case that's designated for my play stuff for each system (for a lot of them, all I have is play stuff). Guess that bout sums it up...

Oh, and Tetris travels on my phone.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I rarely transport any games that aren't disc based. It's usually a few games that I'll take to work with me. I have a Nintendo NES controller themed disc wallet that I put the in, and that goes into the middle section of my messenger bag (which is usually Nintendo themed as well).

My systems, I have carry cases for. I try to have at least one unique to every specific console. Naki made pretty good ones for this past generation's console lot. I have them for my XBOX, PS2 and Gamecube system. They're great for toting your console around from place to place because you don't have to take the systems out of the carry cases to use them. You can open a Velcro flap in the back for the connections, and the front for the controllers. There's also built in disc sleeves, and spacious pockets for peripherals and cables and such.

When I use to transport Genesis and Master System games to friends houses BITD, I'd use cassette tape totes. They fit perfectly into them. I had a large one that held about 48 games which I kept my carts in at home back when my collection was smaller, but when I was bringing some with me somewhere, I usually stored a few of them in smaller case that held 12 games.

I never had any special way to transport Nintendo carts. I just throw them loose into my backpack. My friends and I always carried backpacks with us BITD (before I switched to messenger bags). We were a geeky lot, never without gaming mags, game cartridges, sketchbooks, paperbacks, comics, handhelds, etc..

I very rarely loan games out anymore (mainly because all of my gaming friends live in other States now), but if I do I just put them in a generic case.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fontaine Le Funk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For disc games Tyvek sleeves are much softer than paper, and won't tear as easily. As for disc spindles, it's too easy for them to scratch since they are free to spin, right?
    Spoon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

CD wallets for my Disc Games

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

NES, SNES, N64 games never took the box, due to the nature of cardboard boxes

Gameboy/color games, no boxes, but in the plastic case, when games stopped including the plastic case, bought some extras

GBA originally just kept in the inner plastic baggie

DS games, keep two cards in a "pill pouch" type small ziploc sorta thing, then put all the pill pouches into a larger ziplock. Also went back and put one GBA game each into a pill pouch and threw those into the large ziplock as well

SMS, Genesis, always in the cases (except those horrible cardboard Gen boxes)

Disc based games, always in cases

tl,dr; If it came in cardboard, don't transport in box. If it came in plastic, transport in case, but not if its DS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For disc-based games, an empty CD jewel case. I don't want 'pizza hands' gettin chummy with my mint-condition copy of Bubsy 3D, ya know.

Portable games I just shove in the system's travel case pocket.

Cartridge home console games stay in the box, travel in a large, covered plastic storage crate, and are jealousy guarded by a cave troll against all who encrouch.