Thread: Gamecube component cable..what do I need to know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamecube component cable..what do I need to know?

Ok, I come from the old school of rf-out being the basic, video-out being great, and s-video out being the supreme choice. Now, I get a Gamecube and see that I have an option to get a multi colored video cable called a "component cable". Forgive me if I sound stupid, but what makes the video any better than s-video with this cable? Some places are selling the cable for $50. To me that is a hefty price for just a cable. I looked on the back of my Sony Wega and see it CAN accept a component cable. Should I get this? Will it work just like a video in? Do I have to enable something on the Cube if/when I get this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Component cables take the video portion of the output signal and brak it into 3 seperate parts, red, green, and blue. In RCA inputs all the color video information is all sent through that one yellow cable. This leads to color bleeding and a whole lot messier looking picture. S-vdeo does one better and seperates the signal a bit, hence the improved clarity and color. Component is the best input for video on current systems. It is also the only way to achieve a high definition signal on a compatible set. So if your Wega is HD, component cables will give you a progressive scan picture.
    Also $50, is pretty high, you can get the from Nintendo for about $30 plus shipping. I found mine used at EB fo $25. They're available only directly from Nintendo.
    Xbox Live: Ikari Warrior
    PSN: IkariWarrior

My collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/jaysweet99
    My theater: http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser/7596262

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I spotted the cable at the Nintendo store...maybe I'll pick it up. I just can't imagine the video clarity being any better than what I am currently experiencing, but since I do have the ability to use this new type of connection, why not

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In Response to your other questions, Once you have component cables hooked up, the Gamecube will automatically recognize them, and the first time you turn your gamecube on, it will ask you if you want to enable progressive scan mode. If your TV supports it, do it, because it looks great. Once you choose yes or no, the Gamecube will remmeber that choice until you hold B while you turn the system on, and it will ask you again. Also, some games, like Metroid Prime, only allow widescreen mode if you have the component cables. A wise choice indeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anotherfluke
    In Response to your other questions, Once you have component cables hooked up, the Gamecube will automatically recognize them, and the first time you turn your gamecube on, it will ask you if you want to enable progressive scan mode. If your TV supports it, do it, because it looks great. Once you choose yes or no, the Gamecube will remmeber that choice until you hold B while you turn the system on, and it will ask you again. Also, some games, like Metroid Prime, only allow widescreen mode if you have the component cables. A wise choice indeed.
    Excellent info. Thanks much. Now I really want to give these cables and my TV's ability a try!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for posting this! Was curious about this, but wasn't sure if I hooked it up, it would output a progressive scan signal automatically. It's a shame it's only sold through 'Nintendo' (according to manual).

Composite looks FAR better than F-cables (RF/coax). For some systems, this is more than sufficient (NES, etc). S-video separates chroma and luma...and Component cables I believe separate the signal again making the chroma into two. Don't quote me on this, I'm not an expert (just learning this stuff).