Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo expects first loss ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Nintendo expects first loss ever.

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post...7-1806d1504378

Yikes. Never saw that coming. I am sure everyone here will have a theory or a excuse. Either way I never thought I would see a headline like that.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Launching an expensive handheld, in a crappy economy, while your console sales are winding down. It's like a perfect storm of financial woe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Launching an expensive handheld, in a crappy economy, while your console sales are winding down. It's like a perfect storm of financial woe.
    Times are changing and Nintendo clearly isn't willing to... yet. We'll see what happens with Wii U, but I predict the demand is about as high for that console as 3DS was at launch.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

The Wii was brilliant, it was cheap and fun for everyone, that's in my opinion what people expect from Nintendo, they fallen from that quite a bit. The original GameBoy cost 100german mark here, if we account for inflation that still should be less than 80Eur. Well, it had to happen sooner or later, no big deal, they know how to pull themselves out of this again, many games though also leave a lot to be desired. Maybe a little loss is a good wakeup call, and hopefully in the end also good for quality.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I can't disagree with that, and I'll add to it that whether or not any of us agree with any assessment that they're "legitimate game systems" the smartphone market has had a measurable impact over how people utilize their "portable gaming time" or service their desires to do so.

That said, I do like really like the 3DS and I'm disappointed that it's not doing well for Nintendo.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to point out that the bulk of the loss was due to currency valuations/fluctuations.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, it's absolutely absurd how high the value of the yen is right now.

Anyway, eh, big deal. Nintendo has been around for a LONG time, and this ain't gonna kill them. They're already pulling moves that American companies wouldn't even dream of, like the higher-ups at Nintendo volunteered to take a significant decrease to their paychecks for the time being for the good of the company.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Yeah, it's absolutely absurd how high the value of the yen is right now.

Anyway, eh, big deal. Nintendo has been around for a LONG time, and this ain't gonna kill them. They're already pulling moves that American companies wouldn't even dream of, like the higher-ups at Nintendo volunteered to take a significant decrease to their paychecks for the time being for the good of the company.
    probably cause no one wants to be the direct cause of the downfall of the beloved nintendo

and Nintendo has been around for a hundred or so years. This aint their first rodeo.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    I would like to point out that the bulk of the loss was due to currency valuations/fluctuations.
    Nintendo is heavy holder of USD. If you think this is bad, just wait some more. For a long time, holding USD over JPY was a good move. We are only at the start of our lost decade though. They didn't miss the switch window, just the optimal one. Some heavy US investors switched over from USD holdings to RMB and JPY years ago, and they did great for it.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Its funny cuz they mentioned that nintendo is now loosing customers to smartphone and tablet gaming and the wii u is a tablet like gaming system... seems they might have knew this was coming and already started correcting...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Apparently Nintendo should buy gold. I knew those radio ads were right.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought they had experienced some losses long before they got into video games... or even Hanafuda cards.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There was no Nintendo before Hanafuda cards. The company was founded for the purpose of producing them.

probably cause no one wants to be the direct cause of the downfall of the beloved nintendo
    To be fair, even before taking the large hit to their paychecks, they weren't making remotely close to what American CEOs and the like make. Their paychecks couldn't be blamed for the losses. Japan as a whole doesn't really have the sickness of American business in which our CEOs get disgusting amounts of money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    I think it has more to do with their stalling product. For each Nintendo company in Japan there is some other company making money regardless of the strong yen. I have loved Nintendo since my NES in 1986 but this isn't the Nintendo I remember. The Wii and the DS were great achievements for Nintendo (which I both own and love) but the 3DS and the Wii U are mistakes. Nintendo needs something revolutionary to survive and the 3DS and Wii U are just better versions of old ideas. Even though Nintendo has some cash in the bank and have been around for over a century they still can go out of business if they don't produce what people want to buy.
    Last edited by Clownzilla; 10-27-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Insert Coin (Level 0) SteveSpeeze's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hu6800

i dont think i coulda put it any better myself.. but yep ..
    thats it in a nutshell.
    " For the alliance !! "

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Apparently Nintendo should buy gold. I knew those radio ads were right.
    you think they may wanna start by reclaiming their gold carts?

i got 1 they can get purchase back!

Insert Coin (Level 0) SteveSpeeze's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hu6800

They shoulda just released a system that downloads from the wii shop emulated games.. with a decent controller. and add more roms,, for fair prices.
    system sell for like 90 bux. and screw the handhelds.

I see so many people buy handhelds.. and only turn them on for like 5 mins then shut em off. I think people buy those just to front them.
    " For the alliance !! "

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSpeeze View Post
    They shoulda just released a system that downloads from the wii shop emulated games.. with a decent controller. and add more roms,, for fair prices.
    system sell for like 90 bux. and screw the handhelds.

I see so many people buy handhelds.. and only turn them on for like 5 mins then shut em off. I think people buy those just to front them.
    I play my gameboy micro for at least 8 hours a day at work...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    That said, I do like really like the 3DS and I'm disappointed that it's not doing well for Nintendo.
    It's doing very poorly in Japan, at least that's what I can find.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/third..._purchase.html

Third of Japanese 3DS owners regret their purchase

A survey in Japan has revealed that a third of 3DS owners regret buying the handheld in light of the upcoming price drop.

Nintendo announced the price cut last week, with Nintendo President Satoru Iwata taking responsibility for poor sales, and taking a 50 per cent pay cut as a result.

To soften the blow for anybody that's just bought the device, Nintendo will be giving away free games for existing 3DS owners. The 3DS Ambassador Programme will offer a variety of GBA and NES games, including Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda and Donky Kong Jr., as an apology.

That said, of the 6,500 people surveyed, over 30 per cent said that they felt "anger or regret" about the price drop, and explained that free games did little to compensate for this.

Worryingly, 49.4 percent of those surveyed said that the current line-up of games available for the console were not adequate, and admitted that they felt "disappointed" with the system - even with knowledge of games due to hit the machine in the near future.

To back that up, 45.7 per cent said that they were either not planning, or were "on the fence" about buying Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 - two of what would be considered the biggest upcoming games for the system.

Of those surveyed who do not own a 3DS, a mere 5.4 per cent said they were planning to buy one after the price drop. Of those who had no intention of buying a 3DS, 42.1 per cent blamed the poor selection of games currently available, and 15.3 per cent revealed that they will never buy one.
    The main reason why the original Gameboy did so well was because it was much cheaper than the competition and had a much longer battery life, plus it was bundled with a recent popular game that everyone wanted. What exactly does this new handheld have to offer besides the 3D? Not counting any games that are ports, sequels, or remakes of 10+ year old games. I can't think of anything that interests me, and I still haven't found a kiosk to try one out to see the 3D effect in person. I only saw one in a Best Buy and that was it, I haven't bothered to go back yet as I rarely shop there.

In any case I'm not surprised, they really released too many DS/DSi variants so I can't see many average consumers wanting to upgrade again with so few good games available for this new system.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    I think it has more to do with their stalling product. For each Nintendo company in Japan there is some other company making money regardless of the strong yen. I have loved Nintendo since my NES in 1986 but this isn't the Nintendo I remember. The Wii and the DS were great achievements for Nintendo (which I both own and love) but the 3DS and the Wii U are mistakes. Nintendo needs something revolutionary to survive and the 3DS and Wii U are just better versions of old ideas. Even though Nintendo has some cash in the bank and have been around for over a century they still can go out of business if they don't produce what people want to buy.
    You can think it, but it doesn't make it true. The bulk of Nintendo revenue comes from outside Japan. So, as the Yen appreciates, as it has quite a bit this year, they actually lose money. A full 2/3's of the loss is due to currency exchange. As per gamasutra "Half-year losses were 70.2 billion yen ($926.3 million), missing Nintendo July forecast of a net loss of 35 billion yen ($461.9 million) for the half-year. The strong yen amounted to exchange losses of 52.4 billion yen ($691.6 million). Sales were 215 billion yen ($2.8 billion), missing the half-year forecast of 240 billion yen ($3.2 billion)"

I'd also like to point out that Nintendo only started reporting in the 1980's. So it the first loss in 30 years, not 100.