Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nintendo expects first loss ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    It's doing very poorly in Japan, at least that's what I can find.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/third..._purchase.html

The main reason why the original Gameboy did so well was because it was much cheaper than the competition and had a much longer battery life, plus it was bundled with a recent popular game that everyone wanted. What exactly does this new handheld have to offer besides the 3D? Not counting any games that are ports, sequels, or remakes of 10+ year old games. I can't think of anything that interests me, and I still haven't found a kiosk to try one out to see the 3D effect in person. I only saw one in a Best Buy and that was it, I haven't bothered to go back yet as I rarely shop there.

In any case I'm not surprised, they really released too many DS/DSi variants so I can't see many average consumers wanting to upgrade again with so few good games available for this new system.
    Last I heard since the price drop, the 3DS has been selling extremely well for Nintendo in Japan, and pretty well elsewhere. Just once again, the bulk of their money comes from overseas sales, which means a strong yen hurts their bottom line.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I agree with the currency fluctuation explanation for Nintendo's loss, but wanted to throw something else out there:

With a site like backloggery.com popping up, and all sorts of people taking stock of all the unfinished games they own...clearly it indicates that there are a lot of gamers out there with way more games than they can reasonably play. When economic times get tough, and gamers have to scrimp and save to make ends meet (just like anyone else), surely some of them are thinking that one place that they can easily save is in entertainment, since they have all the entertainment they'll need for the next decade stockpiled in the form of their collection.

Or, they may also be thinking that they can supplement their collection with the great, new indie games out there available for $10 or less right now. Quality $10 indie title lauded by the masses...or the next iteration of a Super Mario game that I already own on the last three or four Nintendo systems I own for $50-60...hmm...tough choice there. Or, substitute "Super Mario Game" with "new Nintendo console that's is marginally different from their current one, which I already own."

Just my $.02.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The Wii was brilliant, it was cheap and fun for everyone, that's in my opinion what people expect from Nintendo, they fallen from that quite a bit. The original GameBoy cost 100german mark here, if we account for inflation that still should be less than 80Eur. Well, it had to happen sooner or later, no big deal, they know how to pull themselves out of this again, many games though also leave a lot to be desired. Maybe a little loss is a good wakeup call, and hopefully in the end also good for quality.
    The Wii was also a gimmicky and a novelty system from the start and has a shitty lineup of games to this day. A system is only going to last so long with those qualities. The 3DS is continuing the Nintendo tradition of shitty 3rd party games and rehashed first party games from 20 years ago. If Nintendo doesn't make an effort to get some more mature third party support and original first party games out, I think the Wii U will meet the same fate as the Wii?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    The Wii was also a gimmicky and a novelty system from the start and has a shitty lineup of games to this day. A system is only going to last so long with those qualities. The 3DS is continuing the Nintendo tradition of shitty 3rd party games and rehashed first party games from 20 years ago. If Nintendo doesn't make an effort to get some more mature third party support and original first party games out, I think the Wii U will meet the same fate as the Wii?
    You mean become the biggest selling system of the generation, much to the disgust of the hardcore? Here's hoping.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    You mean become the biggest selling system of the generation, much to the disgust of the hardcore? Here's hoping.
    I'm pretty sure much of the casual base that purchased a Wii will have the sort of mindset that. "Hey. I bought into the hype and purchased a $200 placeholder, am I really going to do this again?" Especially when the Wii U's gimmick is far less interesting.

I like the idea of hooking the system up to an outlet and playing off the controller while over at a friends house, but do you really think most people will buy it for use as a portable console? I highly doubt it. If someone else just wants to use the tv, you can switch to the controller and still finish your game, but again, it's doubtful many will use this feature besides the few kids who don't have a tv of their own.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

To all of you who thought the crash could never happen again, look at the foundation being laid. 2 consoles that break and one that only kids and grandma's play (for the most part). Add economic shittiness, and...
    Not saying it's happening, or that it would be the same. But it wouldn't be surprising to see one or more of the big 3 leave the console business in the next few years, would it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by backguard View Post
    This is the first time I seriously thought Nintendo might go the way of Sega.
    I think it would take Nintendo atleast two generations of console/handheld loses for that to happen. They may be losing money now but they made a ton over the first few years of this generation. As long as the 3DS or WiiU can pick up momentum then they should be just fine. But if neither of them take off then we can start the "getting out of the hardware business" conversation again.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.