Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone feel like the Wii U is doomed?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone feel like the Wii U is doomed?

Hi guys. I’m not trolling here I’m a big Nintendo fan and a Mario freak. I have a gut feeling that the Wii U is sort of doomed to fail for a few reasons. First of all there calling it the Wii U. Seriously did they not learn anything from parents/uneducated gamers thinking that the 3 ds was just an updated 3ds and not a whole new platform?

Then there’s the tablet controller. It seems like a gimmick to me. I guess it could be fun in some respects but I think it’s more of a novelty. If it’s perceived that way by the public Nintendos gonna have a really big problem. There’s also the launch games issue. I remember an article with Reggie Fils-Aime talking about how if they were to launch the 3 ds with big name first party games it would make gamers feel that there was no third party support.

I would say kind of stupidity is part of why the 3 ds is in trouble. If it had been launched with Super Mario land 3d along with a Zelda game and a $200.00 price point things would be very different. I just seems like they got a little two cocky with there massive wii sales. What do you guys think? Have Nintendo learned from there mistakes and does the wii U have a good chance of making it? I would hate to see Nintendo go down the sega road. That would kill a part of me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) hashiriya1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own all of Nintendo's systems from the Famicom/NES forward, but I think I might sit the Wii U out. I didn't even get the Wii until last year.

As soon as they mentioned the name at E3 I cringed a little. It does sound stupid. As far as I see it, Nintendo better sell me good on its 1st party titles. I am sure whatever 3rd party game is released for it it will also be released on the PS3 and if it needs the tablet controller, I am sure the Vita will take care of that. Of course the Vita isn't cheap but a Vita is sure to cost less than a Wii U and with the Vita you have a standalone portable.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hashiriya1 View Post
    I own all of Nintendo's systems from the Famicom/NES forward, but I think I might sit the Wii U out. I didn't even get the Wii until last year.

As soon as they mentioned the name at E3 I cringed a little. It does sound stupid. As far as I see it, Nintendo better sell me good on its 1st party titles. I am sure whatever 3rd party game is released for it it will also be released on the PS3 and if it needs the tablet controller, I am sure the Vita will take care of that. Of course the Vita isn't cheap but a Vita is sure to cost less than a Wii U and with the Vita you have a standalone portable.
    I cringed to. I can just hear all the haters now. "the wii U sucks and so do u" "F U wii U" I also agree about being sold on first party titles. I dont want to see other compainys making generic launch games like they did with rabbids travel in time and asphalt 3d on the 3ds.

I want to see a high quality mario title. I would even be happy with
    new super mario bros 2 or mario galaxy 3 as long as they were A+ quality. A non kid geared kirby would be fun as well.

I won't be buying one at launch time due to the 3 ds debacle as well as the fact that every launch system seems to have major quality controll/ failure issues these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like the idea of an integrated screen on a controller with otherwise standard controls. Having traditional controls, motion controls (I'd bet on standard Wii controllers also being packed in), and touch screen controls available out of the box should mean we'll have the best of all three worlds and that the control type that best makes sense for each game will be selected, unlike what we've often seen on the DS and Wii. And I'm also very happy to see it being HD.

Even if I just end up playing the latest iterations of Zelda, Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart, Metroid, and other traditional Nintendo properties on it, I'll be happy. I'm actually more excited for it than I was the GameCube or Wii before release.

My biggest concern is NOA itself. I really don't like some of their publishing decisions this generation in regards to retail games like Fatal Frame 4, digital releases on the Virtual Console, etc. I think they've realized that largely ignoring the core market was a mistake, especially for their 3rd party publishers. But I don't think they've realized yet that some of their publishing decisions are part of the problem that keeps that segment of consumers away.

Even if something like Fatal Frame 4 sold just 25 thousand copies after being translated and released here (A game which perhaps appeals to the smallest segment of consumers out there that buy the most games, per person) and barely broke even, those 25 thousand consumers are still very important. They buy a lot of software and they're also likely far more vocal than the average consumer. Pleasing them should be enough of a reason to subsidize some releases that appeal to that market, even if they have zero chance of getting on the best sellers list.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-02-2011 at 02:38 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I think that relying on the casual market while largely neglecting their base is going to eventually shoot Nintendo in the foot. I believe we have already seen part of that "backlash" in the 3DS with its initial arrogantly high pricing and we may see the same with the wiiU if Nintendo fails to get its act together.

I have full confidence in Nintendo making fantastic use of whatever technology they are pushing, including the WiiU tablet idea, but I honestly don't know that is going to happen. I honestly wouldn't be too saddened if Nintendo went the way of Sega though I doubt that would ever happen. I don't really have much interest in buying a console just for the Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Starfox goodness inside the largely shovelware librarys I consistently find on Nintendo consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's way too early to make a call. Nintendo has always made profits through innovation and creation rather than graphical powerhouses (at least since the Gamecube). They are continuing down that path, and I applaud them.

The 3DS is in our recent memory, but people forget what an amazing success the Wii was, in terms of profit and sales. PS3 and Xbox were actually loosing money on every console produced initially, while Wiis were profitable from the very beginning. And not to mention the actual sales.

I'm indifferent at this point. I don't think it's doomed, but I'm not eagerly awaiting its arrival either.

Gimmick or not, get me a brand new Zelda or Mario and I'll probably at least check it out.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Is any of the talk in this thread really any different than the talk before the Wii came out? I'm not saying that means the Wii U will be a success or failure, just that this sort of speculation is just that, speculation.

Anyone less lazy than me want to dig out the old threads?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

I think (aside from the name which sounds like a fire engines siren) the Wii U is a good idea, and actually the first modern console i'm considering to buy since the PS2 which was a huge disappointment to me.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I like the idea of an integrated screen on a controller with otherwise standard controls. Having traditional controls, motion controls (I'd bet on standard Wii controllers also being packed in), and touch screen controls available out of the box should mean we'll have the best of all three worlds and that the control type that best makes sense for each game will be selected, unlike what we've often seen on the DS and Wii. And I'm also very happy to see it being HD.

Even if I just end up playing the latest iterations of Zelda, Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart, Metroid, and other traditional Nintendo properties on it, I'll be happy. I'm actually more excited for it than I was the GameCube or Wii before release.

My biggest concern is NOA itself. I really don't like some of their publishing decisions this generation in regards to retail games like Fatal Frame 4, digital releases on the Virtual Console, etc. I think they've realized that largely ignoring the core market was a mistake, especially for their 3rd party publishers. But I don't think they've realized yet that some of their publishing decisions are part of the problem that keeps that segment of consumers away.

Even if something like Fatal Frame 4 sold just 25 thousand copies after being translated and released here (A game which perhaps appeals to the smallest segment of consumers out there that buy the most games, per person) and barely broke even, those 25 thousand consumers are still very important. They buy a lot of software and they're also likely far more vocal than the average consumer. Pleasing them should be enough of a reason to subsidize some releases that appeal to that market, even if they have zero chance of getting on the best sellers list.
    I agree with everything you said, Leo. Everything.

I couldn't give a flying fuck about the tablet, motion controls or any of that. Most serious game buyers know that you don't buy Nintendo systems for the balance board, or the power pad, or the Super Scope. You buy them because they play Zelda, Mario, and Metroid games. Really, that's about it. Nintendo is one of the greatest game makers in the world (if not THE best).

As such, I will buy a Wii U to play these games. I think the N64 only had about 4 games worth playing on it, and they were all first-party Nintendo games. But these games were so good, and so important, that you wouldn't dare miss them. It's probably going to be a similar situation with the Wii U.

Another bonus for me is that I sold my Wii a few years ago. I've missed out on NSMB Wii, Punch Out, and now I'm going to miss out on Skyward Sword. Since the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii, I'll get to check these games out without having to buy another Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to say right off that I am hoping that this the Wii U will be a success. Personally, however, I am not too impressed with the concept of tablet controller. While I don't doubt there might be a handful of games that make innovative use of this controller, the remaining 95% will no doubt will just use it as a gimmick that acts as a distraction from the lack of fun or originality in the games themselves. I do hope that this is not the case, though. Maybe my imagination is too small. As a retro gamer- hell, just as a gamer- I'd like to see the tried and true controller be the axis that games revolve around.

The name is indeed stupid. For starters, the Japanese love to use mangled Engrish, which they see as cute or cool (see Confucius Lives Next Door by T.R. Reid). Perhaps in Japan the name sounds great. Wherever English is the first language this is certainly not the case. Previous posts that point to parent confusion about the 3DS name being too similar to the DS are also probably right. If I was going to buy my son something for $200 plus dollars, I'd wouldn't want it to be on a slight variation/upgrade/improvement/whatever to the last $200 plus toy I bought him.

I think for Nintendo to ensure their survival, they need to woo back the hardcore gamers. It is a turn off to go to Best Buy or Target and see that 75% of the games for the Wii are crappy kid games. Nintendo should do better with quality control and limit the flood of shovelware. If Nintendo was smart, they'd obtain some Wii U exclusives of big name franchises to entice hardcore gamers to consider their system as a real option for their gaming needs. Decent downloadable games on par with what their competition has is also a "duh" idea Nintendo needs to wrap their mind around. I am afraid that being on the top for too long has dulled Nintendo's ability to critically evaluate what they are doing.

Anyway... I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Gimmick or not, get me a brand new Zelda or Mario and I'll probably at least check it out.
    You and everybody else, sir.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

We'll have to wait until E3 to see what the actual system looks like. We've only seen the screen controller. I wouldn't be surprised if they change the name as well.

By naming it WiiU, it makes it sound to the average consumer that it's just a simple upgrade to the Wii. They did that with the 3DS, not only with the name, but also with the design. It just looks like a DS. I believe Sony is making the same mistake with the Vita looking like a small upgrade to the PSP.

As for the launch, a Metroid Prime title would get a lot of attention from us diehards. My prediction is that the system won't sell as well as Wii did during the first year. However, it's still Nintendo, it's gonna be successful no matter what.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think the economy's going to play a major role. Unless things get better, it's a bad move on anyone's part to unleash expensive new hardware. Not that I expect Weeeeeeeeeyooooooooo to be as expensive as it would if it was the next XB or PS, but still, it's gonna be "hey ma, can I get Wii U for my birthday" "nah, i need the $300* bucks for gas, food, and bills, I ain't buying you a new Wii when you got one already"

*or 250 or whatever, just had to pick a number for an example

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

After watching this video, I am completely sold on the Wii U.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

I really want the Wii U to succeed but Nintendo is digging themselves into a deeper hole started by the 3DS. The pad is a neat feature but will only become an expensive gimmick in the long run. The price of the pad could of been used to refine the game system itself and provide the customer more "system" for their money. At this point, Nintendo would be better of making a game system that has cart & controller inputs for the NES, SNES, Gameboy, N64 along with filters for them to look better on LCD screens. It's straight forward and to the point gaming enjoyment.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Is any of the talk in this thread really any different than the talk before the Wii came out? I'm not saying that means the Wii U will be a success or failure, just that this sort of speculation is just that, speculation.

Anyone less lazy than me want to dig out the old threads?

I would say what makes it relevant is that until the Wii Nintendo only had one console disaster which was the virtual boy. Now they have completely screwed up the 3ds launch with an over inflated price along with the Ida that everyone would go nuts over the 3d aspect. Then there’s also the fact that Nintendo is reporting record profit losses of one billion according to game spot(assuming that number is correct)

http://www.gamespot.com/3ds/hardware...-top-1-billion

The Nintendo we have today is in a much worse position that the pre GameCube days. They sold Wiis and ds's like hotcakes and assumed that there 3 ds would ride on their ds and Wii tidlewave only to have the rug pulled out from underneath them. They also now have to worry about phone and I pad gaming. I'm just not sure if they have the brains to climb out of the hole they’re dug, but I sure hope they do. Sony and Microsoft have proved that they are incapable of making quality built machines that don’t breakdown more than granddaddy’s ford.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    I really want the Wii U to succeed but Nintendo is digging themselves into a deeper hole started by the 3DS. The pad is a neat feature but will only become an expensive gimmick in the long run. The price of the pad could of been used to refine the game system itself and provide the customer more "system" for their money. At this point, Nintendo would be better of making a game system that has cart & controller inputs for the NES, SNES, Gameboy, N64 along with filters for them to look better on LCD screens. It's straight forward and to the point gaming enjoyment.
    I agree about the pad. That money could have went into better graphics that surpass the ps 3 and 360. I would also think they could sell the system alot cheaper with a more simple controller which would likely increase sales. They need to get over gimmics and focus on hardcore graphics and gamers who have spent there money on sony and microsoft to play hardcore games that look great. I'm not a graphics whore but they sure do go a hell of a long way.
    Last edited by rlemmon; 11-02-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wii was such a fluke that I can't imagine any console repeating its success.
    I'm not ready to write off the Wii U yet, but there will have to be some very impressive games (or some very underwhelming competition) if this thing is going to have a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I think the Wii U will do well. Better than the Gamecube at least, perhaps not as well as the Wii itself. The name certainly didn't help- then again, the Wii's name wasn't exactly popular once they'd changed it from Revolution (if anyone remembers back that far, lol).

I can see it being sold cheap from the get-go. I'll be massively surprised if it launches for more than $400, and wouldn't be surprised if it lands for under $300. Yes, the pad's a gimmick, then again everyone said that about the DS's touchscreen when it was first announced. Nowadays, if a handheld DOESN'T have a touchscreen, it's frowned upon. Miyamoto & friends are doubtless already hard at work finding a million ways of implementing it. Hell, I'd buy the Wii U for Pikmin 3 alone, let alone the inevitable Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Smash Bros/F-Zero (hey, I can dream right?) onslaught.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    We'll have to wait until E3 to see what the actual system looks like. We've only seen the screen controller.
    They've been showing off the console's exterior appearance since the day they announced it.

Last edited by Leo_A; 11-02-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SonicBoom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonicsalt99 (PS, I'm Not on a lot)
    PSN
    Sonicsalt99

Honestly, If i buy it, I'd be using it for the tablet. I Knew the 3DS Would bomb and it did. And i think the wii u will be ok. Not gonna fail, But not gonna do awesome ether.
    I Need a life....Wait! I DO HAVE ONE! CLASSIC GAMES ARE!