Thread: Consideirng starting my own retro gaming podcast. Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Default Consideirng starting my own retro gaming podcast. Thoughts?

Hey digitalpress, I'm tossing around the idea of starting my own retro gaming podcast that's mainly focused around the NES and Famicom but occasionally may venture off into Sega or dare I say it, modern gaming.

For those of you that have seen my blog and youtube channel, you already pretyt much know my kind of gaming tastes, but this is what I'm thinking as far as a podcast formula:

Create a weekly podcast composed of a few reoccurring segments:

1. An audio based game review - where I talk about a retro game and its history, much like I do on my blog, with music from that game playing softly in the background as I discuss the game in question. Mostly it will be me talking about something worth playing that perhaps you've missed out on. Don't expect me to talk about Halo or Call of Duty anytime soon.

2. Tech talk. Topics might include tutorials on how to preform various mods, or just my thoughts on certain devices or systems. Possible subjects may include Famiclones, controllers, adapters, etc etc.

3. Listener mail. answer tech questions or whatever else people write in and ask about.

4. Recent pick ups/finds or just other news related to my youtube channel, blog or something like that. Basically, whatever I'm up to int he realm of retro gaming as of the time of recording.

So all that said, what do you guys think? Would you listen to my podcast if I were to start one? Any segments you would like to see that I didn't mention in my overview structure? any advice from anyone who has their own podcast already?

Lastly, I'm going to need a name for the podcast. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

with all due respect to "fans" "followers" and "advocates" -- I always believe in this attitude when it comes to gaming sites/podcasts/YT channels/miscellaneous pursuits:

DO WHAT YOU WANT

Stay true to yourself and your passions. Yes, listening to feedback is important and certainly has its place. But at the end of the day, do what YOU want to see (or hear) the most.

The audience will find itself if the work contains a certain amount of quality.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I do agree with the poster above, I have one thing to contribute.

There are about a million people out there doing reviews. It's a very saturated market. I'd love to hear/see a podcast where instead of focusing on a review (which can be googled in a few seconds), they devote more time to the history of the game, interesting stories about developing or playing the game, and the things that make it stand the test of time (or not).

Instead of a straight-up review, I think a bit more in-depth coverage, rounded out with personal stories of when you played/wanted the game, and some listener-submitted stories would be a welcome change from the standard format.

Just my two cents, but I'm sure you'll end up with a great podcast no matter which direction you choose. Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the best podcasts are long interesting conversations. on television and radio, long conversations are always broken up by commercial breaks. podcasting is the only medium that can broadcast full-legnth conversations. listening to one person talking to themselves isnt terribly interesting.

so instead of a traditional review, how about sitting down with somebody and the two of you play the game and talk about it as you play. think "Let's Play" with actual content, rather than verbal masturbation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Well, I've decided to give it a go, and produced a prototype episode of what may be a podcast. Before I create an itunes or rrs feed, I just want to see what people think and if I should actually bother to do this kind of thing. I'm thinking I'd do a bi-weekly (possibly weekly) podcast to begin with and see what people think.

So with some feedback I've received I've tried to make this as good as possible, but keep in mind I'm new at this and find balancing volume levels difficult, but I did try my best. For now, please let me know your thoughts.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FDOTYXHH

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any place you could upload besides Megaupload? It's blocked by our university firewall for some reason, and I'd love to give this a listen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Note: As of writing this I have not listened to your stuff yet.

Never under-estimate the power of professionalism.

Podcasters who put out stuff with horrible audio quality and come off as sloppy/unprepared tend not to take that sort of criticism very well.

So instead of fighting over it people just won't listen to you.

Put out good stuff that sounds like you actually put some time, effort, and (at least some) money into it, and people will eat it up.

Also, podcasts are not podcasts without RSS feeds! (I realize you said you just haven't made one yet, but people often drag their heels on this.)
    Last edited by Shulamana; 11-05-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by atm55 View Post
    Any place you could upload besides Megaupload? It's blocked by our university firewall for some reason, and I'd love to give this a listen.
    Hm that's odd. Where would you suggest i host then? I've always found megaupload to be much better than other file sharing sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Shulamana View Post
    Note: As of writing this I have not listened to your stuff yet.

Never under-estimate the power of professionalism.

Podcasters who put out stuff with horrible audio quality and come off as sloppy/unprepared tend not to take that sort of criticism very well.

So instead of fighting over it people just won't listen to you.

Put out good stuff that sounds like you actually put some time, effort, and (at least some) money into it, and people will eat it up.

Also, podcasts are not podcasts without RSS feeds! (I realize you said you just haven't made one yet, but people often drag their heels on this.)
    I understand that production value is important and I think that I've proven that I have that with my video reviews such as Akumajou Dracula. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xoHTFna300

I've had a bit trouble with volume equalization, but as I produce content I'll learn how to fix that better. I use an i-mac. Do you have a recommendation for the software I should use? I recorded episode 0 using garage band.

If I get a positive enough reaction to my purposed podcast format, then I'll put it up on itunes and an make an rrs feed for sure. Only seems to make sense.

So yeah, please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have some opinions when I get a chance to listen, which will probably be sometime tomorrow. I just want to be double-sure that you realize that what I said is not a criticism, but rather general advice.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SonicBoom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonicsalt99 (PS, I'm Not on a lot)
    PSN
    Sonicsalt99

I Like the idea/ I'd watch it.
    I Need a life....Wait! I DO HAVE ONE! CLASSIC GAMES ARE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I got a chance to listen last night:

- De-tabbing a SNES makes me sad, even if it doesn't really change the outward appearance. But that's off-topic.

- Were you reading off a script? It's okay if you were, it was your first episode afterall, I've watched a few of your YouTube videos but I'm not entirely sure if it's just your cadence. People tend to loosen up a bit more over time though, and being able to ramble on without adhering strictly to an outline can be good as long as you have something interesting to say.

- Length was a bit short for me personally. Again, I know it's your first one, but generally I prefer something a little bit more... "beefy", minimum 40-45 minutes and up. I know some people prefer the shorter bite-size stuff, but I'm more of an in-depth, lengthy conversation kind of guy. I would love it if the the modding/"how it works" type segment would be fleshed out more, the more detail the better, perhaps even with some historical aspect involved.

Anyway, it seems I have run out of steam, I hope it helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

All very good, valid points.

Indeed, i was reading off a script I wrote so I wouldn't trip over my own words and so the podcast wouldn't be filled with a million "ummms" and "uhhhs".

I generally speaking will do scripted podcasts, because that's just how I present all information, but I'll try to make it more off the cuff every now and then when I can, especially if my goal of recording a podcast with an untested co-host works out. not sure exactly how our chemistry will be and if it will help or hurt the show. If it doesn't work out, I'll be doing it solo, but I'm hoping for a co-host.

Don't worry too much about the short length of the pilot. The idea was to only demo the podcast idea (I've never done this before). Actual full length podcasts will easily exceed 20 minutes and really the sky's the limit for how long they'll actually end up being, especially if I have a co-host to bounce topics off.

I like the idea of expanding the tech segment to encompass the history behind the hardware as well. I'll get on that.

There's only one problem about recording with someone else who lives multiple hours from me - how to actually do it.

Does anyone know a good program (for mac) that can record skype calls?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Glitch695's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can record Skype calls with Audacity, then just use the file for editing without futzing around with combining multiple tracks.

And yeah, as said above, don't do what other people want to hear, do what YOU want to talk about. If you're truly interested and passionate about the subject then it will come across in your podcast. Also, I have found 3 people to be the best number for a cast. Depending on personalities, 4 can work too (our 4 person casts have always gone pretty well), but 3 is the sweet spot. 2 people can lead too easily to awkward silences, and if you have the exact same thoughts on a game/ system, it just sounds repetitive without that third point of view.

And don't try to force out shows if they're going to sound bad. Editing is important, and can be rather time consuming if you have a job/ school/ etc, but the finished product should sound professional. That is what will keep people coming back, as opposed to some podcasts I know where they force out at least one a week and it's painful to listen to.

Lastly, when I used to have to record sales calls of myself and critique them, I would have to pinpoint certain mannerisms and fills and try to eradicate them. Record yourself talking straight for about 5 minutes, then play it back and listen for excessive 'ums' 'uhhh' 'y'know' 'like', any type of fill that you don't realize you're doing. From a radio standpoint this is the most important thing you can do to better your delivery.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have!
    Well Versed in the Classics Podcast - http://wellversedintheclassics.blogspot.com/
    Check us out!

07/04/11 - RIP, Frank Garrett

Insert Coin (Level 0) Glitch695's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just listened to the podcast- you don't have to worry about using fills, that's for sure. I like it; it does for sure sound as if you are using a script, but not in a bad 'boom goes the dynamite' way. I would be very interested in hearing you do an unscripted show with a few other people.
    Long story short, off to a nice start!
    Well Versed in the Classics Podcast - http://wellversedintheclassics.blogspot.com/
    Check us out!

07/04/11 - RIP, Frank Garrett