Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

Default Issue with Sachen 4 in 1 GB cart

I got one for free with a copy of crystal quest

When i turn it on it says "Game Boy" and underneath "Sachen (R)" but it doesn't go beyond this point. I have no idea what to do with it, i don't even know how to get into the card to see if something broke, which i considered since it goes in a little harder than a normal cart.

I'm using it with a GBA SP AGS 101

Any ideas?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try it on an older model gb? It's possible they found a way to block whatever sneaky pirate method it was using to run by the time the gba came out...just speculating of course.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

try the dudes at famicomworld, they know everything about this pirated stuff!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Have you tried cleaning the contacts yet? I've seen games not gets past the first screen before because of dirty contacts. I've even seen gbc games display the "this game is meant for the gameboy color only" message. After a good cleaning it started right up and played fine.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

I will get some new batteries tomorrow, my original GB ran out. I will also try cleaning again, this usually is the first thing i do but maybe i was to quick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

They actually do not work on a GBA. I'm very surprised to see that. Thanks for the help (enlightenment).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Interesting. I would think it's more them not quite following recommended programming practices than Nintendo intentionally locking anything out on the GBA. It's been a while since I've looked at the GB tech docs but there are lines along the of "To ensure proper compatibility...follow these rules to a tee."

For instance(semi-related), the Scrolling Nintendo Logo when you boot up a GB game, that's required to be hard programmed into the GB Rom. If it's not there then the game won't run. If it is...well, then unless you're licensed to do so, you're using Nintendo's copyrighted logo in your game without permission and they can come after you.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    For instance(semi-related), the Scrolling Nintendo Logo when you boot up a GB game.
    Well it doesn't have that. While on the GBA it's scrolling the proper logo and got "sachen" at the bottom, on the original GB a "sachen" logo scrolls like the GB logo would. I'm not sure about this at all but i had that thought too, and if you say you've read something along those lines them i'm willing to believe that this is probably the cause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Well that's even more interesting. I read that in a GB tech doc and thought of trying to find a way around it(was making a homebrew game)...it looks like maybe they did.

That could be the reason that it's not working on the GBA since they obviously don't run the part of the program that scrolls the logo. They could still check though and since it's different it's causing issues. However, since you say it displays sachen at the bottom, then I would assume they at least wanted it to work on the GBA. I'm not very familiar with the inner working of the GBA to do anything other than guess though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

To make it all complete i thought i should post some pictures, just in case someone else finds this with the same issue some day.

Cart (Zipball, Deep, Crazy Burger, Small Gorilla):

GB:

GBA: