Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Default Worthy Japanese PS2 games

Hi there. I bought a couple of Japanese PS2s last year to use in running fighting game tournaments, and figure I may as well play other things on them. I'm interested in hearing opinions on Japanese PS2 games worth importing.

I already own Melty Blood, the ADK Collection (TWINKLE STAR SPRITES!), Hokuto No Ken (ASW), the PS2 only Matrimelee sequel/update, Darkstalkers Collection, Fuun Super Combo, the Sunsoft Collection, Garudan Breakblow... If it's a fighting game, I own it. I also own Thunder Force VI and Siren 2.

I'm not interested in JRPGs, dating sims, or visual novels: my Japanese is non-existent. I'm also not into racing games all that much. I bought Shadow Tower: Abyss on the advice of a friend, who assures me that I'll love it, though it hasn't arrived yet. Make of that what you will. I love survival horror and own most of what came out over here. I also enjoy action adventure titles like Devil May Cry, and weird stuff like Katamari Damacy and Mr. Mosquito.

So: what are some interesting games worth checking out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ignoring a couple of racers, this is my small collection. I'd recommend all of them.

Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 21: SDI & Quartet - Sega System 16 Collection
    Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 23: Sega Memorial Selection
    Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 30: Galaxy Force II - Special Extended Edition
    Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 33: Fantasy Zone Complete Collection
    Sega Rally 2006 (Has a great port of the original Sega Rally)
    Taito Memories Gekan
    Taito Memories Joukan
    Taito Memories II Gekan
    Taito Memories II Joukan

Edit - I see that I forgot to delete Sega Rally. Since I left that in, I might as well mention that I have Battle Gear 3 and OutRun 2 SP Special Tours. Both are also nice arcade racers, although there's not much reason to import Outrun 2 SP when you can just buy Coast 2 Coast over here for a fraction of the cost (Although the Japanese release has a few fixes and additions, like Logitech wheel support, that were added for the Japanese release).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-05-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Leo_A has some nice pack picks which covers quite a few games. Of what he mentions I own Fantasy Zone SA2500 and Sega Rally 2006 (used to have GF2 although I sold it, which upon looking back on was an odd move).

To add upon the SA2500 series I also have the Tetris Collection Volume 28 (not much of wow factor here if you aren't a Tetris fan pardon having all Sega Tetris iterations including the modern update Tetris New Century, which is quite fun), the Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box Volume 25 (has GSH, Dynamite Headdy, and Alien Soldier with all versions including GG GSH and DH plus has replay saving abilities and many filter/video options), and Virtual On Volume 31 (arcade perfect port with replay saving and lots of bonuses, one hell of a game - I'd consider it 'fighting' do you own it?). The 2nd half of the SA2500 series is mostly a solid bet since the QA was upped when development shifted over after some lacklustre efforts early on.

Another good robot fighting game is Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny: Federation VS. ZAFT 2 Plus (quite the name eh?). Capcom really shines here with tonnes of story mode missions and the superb arcade mode as well. I actually preferred the original MSG SEED: FvZ1 but it lacks story mode and is otherwise a short outing.

A very unique game is ChainDive, which only ever was released in North America as a demo in OPM 79. The game plays out with 3D graphics (and environments) however is limited to a 2D plane of action (akin to NiGHTS in that regard). Having said this it's most similar to NiGHTS as opposed to any other game. It's action and basically you grapple beam and freeze enemies through the stages (saying it like that could be comparable to Metroid) and it's a lot of fun. There is a story to it, but you'd need to understand Japanese to appreciate this aspect. Otherwise it's great (and used to be cheap) if you can find a copy.

It's worth mentioning the Arika conversions of Cave's DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou and Espgaluda. The latter being a more forgiving game of the two, both are superb modern 2D scrolling shooters and both come packed with a bonus super-play DVD. If you like shooters, those are two of the best.

I have quite a few PS2 games and have plenty of experience with imports. If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM.
    Last edited by fahlim003; 11-07-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since you liked the first one, you should try the Japan exclusive sequel to Mr Mosquito called Ka 2 Let's Go Hawaii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

The PS2 was the machine for old school Sega fans last gen, with the exception of the XBox exclusives. The GC was Sonic's home, but the other systems got the best stuff.

As has already been said, the later Sega Ages 2500 series collections and arcade ports are mostly excellent, as is the Sega Rally 1995 disc that comes with the mediocre Sega Rally 2006. I have 10 (AfterBurner - meh), 16 (VF2 - imperfect but still very cool), 19 (Fighting Vipers - Perfect), 25 (Treasure Box - goes without saying, even though I have the MegaDrive originals), 27 (Panzer Dragoon - should have been a collection, but the updated graphics version renders the original obsolete), 29 (Monster World Complete - KILLER. Hours and hours of side-scrolling questing), 30 (Galaxy Force 2 - the update is sublime on this one too), 31 (Virtual On - Perfect) & 33 (Fantasy Zone - "arcade" FZ2 is glorious). Only the AfterBurner remake (that I only bought because they left it off the compilation they released in the US and I wanted to see how it played) is so so. The rest are some of the best fan service ever. Sega seems to be returning to this mindset with their recent releases and I absolutely love it.

The PS2 version of the original NiGHTS is absolutely not to be missed if you liked the original. I wish they would release this one in HD on the current systems. The PS2 mode is a real treat; moreso than for many other graphical updates of older titles.

Initial D: Street Stage is another great Sega racer. The only drawback is that it is single player only, and requires Japanese or source manga knowledge to enjoy the story.

Critical Velocity is an overlooked Namco mission-based driving game. It's not stellar, and requires Japanese knowledge to follow the story completely, but it's playable and fun for the right price.

I also concur with the Arika Cave ports, but since I love Mushihimesama, even the poor port it received garners a recommendation from me. It also got a best release, so it can be had for less than the DoDonPachi DaiOuJou & ESPGaluda ports.

If you like KOF, the Orochi ('95, '96 & '97) and NESTS ('99, '00, '01) Collections are the way to go. Stay away from the US versions of KOF other than '98 Ultimate Match. They did that one justice.

Metal Slug 3D is a fun curiousity that is better than its reputation; hard and clunky, yet somehow endearing.

The two EDF games, Simple 2000 Series Vols. 31 & 81,are also well worth your time if you don't have an XBox 360. The second one is especially cool.

That should get you going. Some exclusives are not worth your time however. Stay away from Hresvelgr; it's garbage.
    Last edited by klausien; 11-06-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Hi there. I bought a couple of Japanese PS2s last year to use in running fighting game tournaments, and figure I may as well play other things on them. I'm interested in hearing opinions on Japanese PS2 games worth importing.

I already own Melty Blood, the ADK Collection (TWINKLE STAR SPRITES!), Hokuto No Ken (ASW), the PS2 only Matrimelee sequel/update, Darkstalkers Collection, Fuun Super Combo, the Sunsoft Collection, Garudan Breakblow... If it's a fighting game, I own it. I also own Thunder Force VI and Siren 2.

I'm not interested in JRPGs, dating sims, or visual novels: my Japanese is non-existent. I'm also not into racing games all that much. I bought Shadow Tower: Abyss on the advice of a friend, who assures me that I'll love it, though it hasn't arrived yet. Make of that what you will. I love survival horror and own most of what came out over here. I also enjoy action adventure titles like Devil May Cry, and weird stuff like Katamari Damacy and Mr. Mosquito.

So: what are some interesting games worth checking out?
    Last Blade collection? :P I also know Guilty Gear XX Slash is the only one in that series that did not make it stateside, and is considered to be arguably the best in the XX series.

PS2 has a number of good shooters as well; the Cave games were mentioned and are worth checking out... Psyvariar 1 and 2 are on PS2, as is the neat Star Soldier remake Hudson put out (also on Gamecube).
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    Last Blade collection? :P I also know Guilty Gear XX Slash is the only one in that series that did not make it stateside, and is considered to be arguably the best in the XX series.

PS2 has a number of good shooters as well; the Cave games were mentioned and are worth checking out... Psyvariar 1 and 2 are on PS2, as is the neat Star Soldier remake Hudson put out (also on Gamecube).
    There's also the 2D fighter which eventually came out on PSP also, Spectral Vs. Generation.

If you're a Macross fan, the SEGA Macross game is pretty awesome. Some of the Simple series games are great too.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post

Last Blade Collection is already on the shelf. It's great.

I've had a lot of people recommend the Cave shmups, and I am a fan, but they tend to go for triple digits. I'll pick them up eventually for sure: just not right now.

I ordered Mr. Mosquito 2, and I'll check out the recommended simple series and Taito collections. Do any of the Taito discs collect Pulirula or Edward Randy?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ordered Mr. Mosquito 2, and I'll check out the recommended simple series and Taito collections. Do any of the Taito discs collect Pulirula or Edward Randy?
    Taito Memories Joukan has Pulirula. I'm actually looking to sell my copies of Taito Memories Gekan and Joukan. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy is Data East, not Taito. Any way you slice it, it's a shame the game never got a home port, even after all these years.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chaindive 2d/3d action platformer with a grappling hook, pretty cool game. 7.7/10

Hudson Adventure Island Remake PS2 great. 8.4/10

<b>Azumi</b> (made by some of the team of Shemune, pretty damn good hack n slash.) 8.3/10

Ougon kishi garo great adult sentai type game(wow what a game, just wow) a bit short though but lots of replay value 7.7/10

Simple 2000 Series Vol.102: The Fuhyou Senjou no Inu Tachi (a budget metal gear solid type tactical shooter, actually pretty darn good) 8.1/10

Kenka Bancho there is a FAQ and Kenka Banco 2 (is slightly confusing but there are FAQS on youtube) 7/10

Splatter Master brawler (eu release as well IIRC) low fi final fight type game 6.7/10 short but sweet.

The Miniskirt Police (a budget Manhunt mixed with DOA, not too bad actually, I like stealth games but not great) 6.5/10

Vol 65 The Kyoshi Panic ( a budget RE meets a brawler) 7.0/10

Street Boyz, a kunio kun type game, pretty decent, nice bosses. 7.3/10

The Onichmusa, Knock off Dynasty warriors, kinda cheap but it has pretty cool bosses. 7/10.

I'm not much of a critic and I love action games so, get other opinions on it too. Also I'll admit the graphics in some of these games just won't do if you are really into your graphics, youtube it to be sure.
    Go, go Ackman!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What do people think of Gekisha Boy 2? (Otherwise known as Gekibo or Photograph Boy) The first one on PC Engine was great. This was supposed to get released in PAL regions as Polaroid Pete but as far as I can tell it never happened.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ADK Collection is a must have for Ninja Master's Alone! Psikyo Collection: Sol Divide/Dragonblaze is really fun shooter combo pack with a meidevil theme. For the price, Just about any of the qwirky Simple 2000 games are worth it, and some are REALLY worth it, as mentioned above...
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 11-08-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy is Data East, not Taito. Any way you slice it, it's a shame the game never got a home port, even after all these years.
    Oops! Right you are. I'd love to have a home conversion: it looks like 2D Uncharted.

So I ordered a bunch of the Sega Ages stuff (Fantasy Zone, Virtual On, and Fighting Vipers), which should be here in the next week or two. I also picked up Chain Drive, just because.

I couldn't find a copy of Spectral Vs. Generation. This is probably for the best, as I think I've spent enough for now.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got "The Rumble Fish", Its a sweet 2D Fighter ala any 2d fighter, with some unique battle aspects and character fighting styles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Just got "The Rumble Fish", Its a sweet 2D Fighter ala any 2d fighter, with some unique battle aspects and character fighting styles.
    Oooh, that's one of the games on my list to pick up at some point. If you get bored with it, send me that sweet PM