Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ''Improved ports'' Ports of ps1 games on the psp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ''Improved ports'' Ports of ps1 games on the psp

Im just wondering , do you buy the ports of ps1 games that get a improved version on the psp? I just get annoyed at the fact that its on the psp , that it makes me just want to go hunt the original version. Im just wondering if anyone else have the same annoyance , there is a ps1 game or port you really want but you cant play it on your tv and have to play it on the psp?
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 11-05-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

How or why does having more options annoy you?

Valkyrie Profile pops immediately into my mind. I remember my brother playing that game when I was younger and was blown away by the pretty dark subject matter and interesting take on the RPG genera. Unfortunately by the time the PSP port was released the game was another limited-run-PS1-RPG title that had exploded in cost since its release. The PSP port was the best cheapest way to play the game again along with a few extra short CGI movies and an extra dungeon to play around in. The game was also portable and if you had a psp 2000 or newer you could output component to a TV and play the game on a large TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

"Improved port" is an oxymoron. Do you mean remakes? (Lunar, Persona 1 and 2, Metal Slug XX, etc)...or do you mean actual ports like the PSOne Classics? (i.e. same game different platform) There's definitely nothing "improved" about those.

Either way, the only game I see myself "forced" to play on the PSP would be Suikoden 2. I never bought the disc (saw it many times in stores back in the day) and its release as a PSOne Classic would be the only way I would consider it.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    "Improved port" is an oxymoron. Do you mean remakes? (Lunar, Persona 1 and 2, Metal Slug XX, etc)...or do you mean actual ports like the PSOne Classics? (i.e. same game different platform) There's definitely nothing "improved" about those.

Either way, the only game I see myself "forced" to play on the PSP would be Suikoden 2. I never bought the disc (saw it many times in stores back in the day) and its release as a PSOne Classic would be the only way I would consider it.
    I don't think he meant PSOne Classics, since those are also natively playable on a PS3 - and he didn't mention that.

What games have been remade / rereleased on the PSP anyway? Other than Parappa The Rapper, I can't think of any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Persona, persona 2 , fftactics , final fantasy 4 complete , tactics ogre , Lunar.
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 11-05-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    I just get annoyed at the fact that its on the psp
    Get used to it, the portable market is the only place where old-school JRPGs are going to be available in bulk.

Speaking of re-makes, I've been waiting for Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection to get down in price, even though I don't own a PSP (yet). Can get TO for $20 with free shipping from Amazon right now, but I'm too broke to snag it at the moment.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    Im just wondering if anyone else have the same annoyance , there is a ps1 game or port you really want but you cant play it on your tv and have to play it on the psp?
    If it's that annoying, may I suggest getting a TV out cable for the PSP? Granted, if you only have a 1000 series ("phat") that's not an option.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    What games have been remade / rereleased on the PSP anyway? Other than Parappa The Rapper, I can't think of any.
    A few more to add to Richter's list:

Breath of Fire III (JP and EU only)
    Castlevania Chronicles (for its inclusion of an unlockable SOTN)
    Rockman DASH 1 & 2 (JP only)

To respond to the OP, I've never felt anything negatively about the PS1 games adapted for the PSP. I'd certainly sooner choose one of these optimized* ports over an ISO, if only for the game to display without pillarboxing or stretching. ..and yeah, as previously pointed out, if you're a PSP 2000-or-higher owner, either a composite or component out cable would let you play 'em on the "big screen" (sort of, discounting the black border around the screen and all).

* Not exactly true, as FFT runs like balls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

Dumb question: Is FF 7, 8 and 9 available for the PSP?

I keep seeing something along these lines, but i don't see a actual product.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 11-05-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

There are a lot of games remade/ported to the PSP. The list would be massive if we listed them all.

Tales of Eternia
    Star Ocean 1 and 2
    A billion Japanese only games like Mobile Suit Gundam Gihren's Greed and more of the Tales series, etc.
    Gurumin
    Riviera
    Yggdra Union
    That one DS game in the same series
    Ys series
    Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky
    Monster Hunter 1 and 2
    Prince of Persia games
    This list only scratches the surface, but the list is prety large.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre were great deals.

If you want play on your tv, rejoice. Later models have tv out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre were great deals.

If you want play on your tv, rejoice. Later models have tv out.
    FFTactics was ruined by major slowdown when using any skill. Tactics Ogre was ruined by certain gameplay mechanics. If you're interested in either of these play the PSX and/or SNES versions.

Here's a comparison of FFT slowdown on the PSP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNnyH-yS6lw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

That's the point actually. I don't want to play on my TV, that's why i asked if they are out in one way or another for the psp.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Dumb question: Is FF 7, 8 and 9 available for the PSP?

I keep seeing something along these lines, but i don't see a actual product.
    Yes, they are available.

You can buy/download them all on the PSN and they'll play on your PSP and PS3.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought the component cables didn't work on the 2000's... Does a PS3 pad work with one too? I have had a 2000 for a while and I bought a component cable from Hollywood/Game Crazy for a few bucks when they tanked, never even tried.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    FFTactics was ruined by major slowdown when using any skill. Tactics Ogre was ruined by certain gameplay mechanics. If you're interested in either of these play the PSX and/or SNES versions.

Here's a comparison of FFT slowdown on the PSP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNnyH-yS6lw
    Which gameplay mechanics in particular? I heard they took out the alignment system for class changes, but other than that I haven't read up too much about it. I have a bit of a collection going for the Ogre Battle series, even if it's a bad remake I'm going to get it eventually anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

There's a new level system where all levels are based on class and every class you get starts at level one. This doesn't sound bad at first, because they fixed the stats so that weapons and armor effect more than gaining a couple levels, but it is.

First off you can't change classes unless you have a card for that class. So you happen to be at level nine(just an example, not sure if it was that level) and you get your first Terror Knight card. Well. The Terror Knight will start at level one, and will only be able to equip weapons and armor up to his level. Because of this, the character is completely useless until you get him/her atleast a level lower than your group so his equipment will be able to do atleast "some" damage. You get class cards slowly throughout the game, so you either have to grind quite a bit or have one character less while playing story missions since you'll have an extra character hiding in the corner.

But what about characters like Jenounes(Dragoon/regular class,) Vice, Mildain, Guilden, etc, when you get to them during the story mode? As soon as you are able to recruit them their class levels are reduced to one because it's a new class you haven't had yet. You can now change classes which is pretty cool, but their classes are some of the best in the game, so it's not such a great idea.

So first off, that right there is game breaking. Once you get to level 50, assuming that's the highest level. You can actually replay through the game and enemies are always the same level of your highest character, so at that time it might be more enjoyable. But playing through the game normally is just not very fun in comparison to the PSX version.

The only other flaw is the damage system. While I really like how the stat system is more balanced so weapons and armor are the base of most of your damage rather than your level, the thing I don't like the game is that it's more similar to Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis with the damage than it is to Let Us Cling Together. Enemy and ally alike, while the damage isn't as flawed as it is on Knight of Lodis, it's still pretty bad, especially against beasts and dragons who get major stat gains like the original.

Don't be surprised when you see your archers taking the same amount each attack as your Berserker who's using a two handed axe. Archers were overpowered in the orignal Tactics Ogre, but atleast your melee characters took quite a bit more damage from enemies than your archers did. This time I see archers taking more damage than a lot of my characters, or equal to some, and we're not even talking about Aloser here(who takes off even more,) we're talking about my starter archer and Sara.

Magic users are useless. Priest and Wizard alike. They weren't on the original, but on the new game they are. The wizard I had I practically had to baby all the way up to where I'm at. The most powerful spell he can use will take off 80(I'm only on the beginning of chapter four but got bored so stopped playing,) but it takes a few turns to be able to cast it. So why bother when you can swap with an archer instead who will take off that amount in two turns and not die in two or three hits. The priest, while not as bad because there's heal plus, heal 2, etc, and I use it as a dedicated healer, is still throwaway if you decide you want to bring a more knights. Knights, white knights, and plenty of other characters can use heal magic, so a dedicated healer isn't needed that badly.

The ideas may have sounded good on paper, but the game turned out pretty crappy, and I was extremely hyped for this game as the original is my favorite game.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-05-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, thanks for the thorough and in-depth explanation, I'm ashamed to say that I've never actually finished Tactics Ogre, I think I'm going to try another run at it since I just finished my first "World" playthrough of the first Ogre Battle game last month, but there's some other stuff ahead of it in the queue that I just can't force myself to push back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I thought the component cables didn't work on the 2000's.
    Component cables are the only way to output gameplay on a PSP 2000 unless you modify the firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Does a PS3 pad work with one too?
    If you own Resistance PSP and Resistance 2 for the PS3, you can use a PS3 gamepad to play Resistance PSP. You output video from the PSP in the normal manner while your PSP recieves controller signals via WiFi from your PS3.

The only PSP that can directly communicate via BlueTooth to a PS3 gamepad is the PSP Go.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah, I remember about the PS3 control thing now. The only thing I liked about the Go. Btw, Thanks Leo!

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives