Thread: GameStop not selling Gamecube any longer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Default GameStop not selling Gamecube any longer?

It's been a while, and by that I mean 6 months or more, since I've been in a Gamestop. First they stop carrying original Xbox stuff a couple of years ago, then all their Gameboy and GBC stuff, then earlier this year the GBA stuff. Today my boys and I went in to spend some of their birthday gift cards and lo and behold, Gamecube is bye-bye.

So, it's not like I've been in much lately anyway and I can see everything in their entire inventory at just about any other store now, but now I can't really see a reason to go in at all. There are other "mom and pop" shops locally that I'd rather give my current-gen money to for used games, and Best Buy, Toys R Us, or Target always gets my new game money.

I guess it's all a matter of square footage in the stores, but I think they've officially lost me as a customer for good...

(oh and I apologize if this has already been discussed)

Insert Coin (Level 0) SteveSpeeze's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hu6800

yeah i dont even see reason to visit a gamestop anymore.
    pawnshops have better deals on gamecube stuffs.
    the one near me even has an atari 2600 and some games.
    " For the alliance !! "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only get the very FEW exclusive things they get, if it's something I have to have, which isn't often! No more Gamecube, huh? I guess I am pretty much done too. I hate Game Stop anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No big loss. Their Gamecube selection, at least at my local stores, has been really pathetic for years. And unlike with the Xbox, where they were practically giving games away, it seemed like they never dropped the prices much. Games like Cubivore were the same inflated price forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are several GS stores in Atlanta that have pretty decent Gamecube games. I still browse them once in awhile but they always have the good ones priced too high... like $30 for Mario Kart.

!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My local Gamestop still has a small rack of Gamecube stuff. I visited another one not to far away last week. They had all the Gamecube stuff behind the counter and the guy working there offered to print me a list of what they have. I didnt bother.

Radical Dude Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The local Gamestops here still have Gamecube games but a majority of them have no artwork or are in piss poor condition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the Gamestops around here have Gamecube games but as others have said they are still at inflated prices. Mario Party 7 shouldn't cost $20 for a disc only copy.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My local ones still have a shelf full of GC games.

They might start fading them out when the WiiU gets released soon though.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My local stores still have Gamecube but it's not like it matters. Everything good pre-current gen has been cleared out years ago and I don't shop for old stuff at retail store. Period. Even pawn shops and goodwill gouge prices. At GW i saw PS1 for $70. Huh?

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Gamestop is a similar story to some who have already posted. There are two tiny shelves to the far side of the counter jammed with Gamecube games that are a) in bad condition, b) overpriced, or c) both. They also have some of those brand new third-party Gamecube controllers "designed for the Wii" for $14.99. I noticed a couple used Gamecubes for $29.99, but I cannot imagine them selling that well. Maybe when the new Wii comes out someone will buy one to play their Gamecube games!

Ironically, I went in looking Xbox games and accessories yesterday because I had finally bought one at the flea market. I go in so infrequently that I was not aware they discontinued their Xbox section like two years ago!

On the plus side, I did get Back To The Future for the Wii while I was there. I remembered hearing the news that it was going to be released and was very excited. I kinda forgot about it until their tv showed an ad for it. I was like when did THAT come out? The employee told me it was like a couple days ago. So....day three purchase for me?

Anyways...it sucks that there is NO mom and pop stores here. We have a flea market on the weekends but for the most part the stuff is overpriced and underloved. If it wasn't for the fact I REALLY wanted Donkey Kong and Yoshi's Cookie I wouldn't have paid 30 for the pair.

Sorry for hijacking...you got me thinking about general availability....
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bet what happened Deadman is that they shipped off their stock of Gamecube games to a larger capacity store. I used to work in one of the biggest stores in the city and it was a regular occurrence for us to get in other stores' junk stock because we had the floor and back-room space for it. I specifically remember getting dumped with SNES, Genesis, N-Gage, and PC games that other stores consolidated out of their inventories. Speaking of inventory, those used to be a PAIN to do because of this practice.

Back on subject though, I imagine we'll get the announcement around the first of the year that they're discontinuing taking in Gamecube games because Nintendo is rolling out that non-BC Wii soon (which reminds me, I need to snatch up a backup unit before they do). I've managed to get most of the Gamecube games I've wanted but I should probably prowl some of the locations to see if they might have one of the last few I need on the cheap.

EDIT: Oops...the stuff I read on the non-BC Wii stated a Euro release but nothing concrete for US. I imagine it wouldn't be long before the thing made it's way here though.
    Last edited by Flashback2012; 11-06-2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Updated post with more accurate information
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is already available in the U.S. for $149.99 in black w/New Super Mario Bros Wii and a Super Mario Bros Music CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    EDIT: Oops...the stuff I read on the non-BC Wii stated a Euro release but nothing concrete for US. I imagine it wouldn't be long before the thing made it's way here though.
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm told that the local EBs do still occasionally sell GameCube games when someone brings them in – but actually, their prices are so ridiculously low that they disappear fast!
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Hmm. Looks like this issue may require more research. I based my statement on the two closest stores to me both having no GC section any longer and their "expert" employees telling me that they are no longer selling or buying them in. Both of these stores are extemely small so I might try to hit a larger store today to try to verify this info.

I don't actively collect for the GC but both of my kids (14 and 11 years old) have purchased their own GC consoles and have them in their rooms, so when some money trickles in they like to go check out the selection. For what it's worth, Movie Trading Company has the best selection around here, but their prices aren't always that great...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I've been noticing that Gamestop's last gen game selection has been dwindling down to make room for current gen stuff. I would recommend what people have already mentioned about pawnshops and big box stores being better and cheaper alternatives for last gen games. Don't forget about trying ebay and Amazon to. Gamestop lost me as a customer a long time ago. Their trade in program is a joke, and their used games are in disgusting condition and very over priced a lot of the time. I'll go just about anywhere else to get my games these days.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Gamestop I was in about a month ago still had a small GC section. Almost bought a Gameboy Player, then I decided I already had enough ways to play GBA games. Then I got home and have mildly regretted it since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
    For what it's worth, Movie Trading Company has the best selection around here, but their prices aren't always that great...
    I used to live in the D/FW metroplex and Movie Trading Company was always a rip-off for anything they sold.

Radical Dude Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
    I don't actively collect for the GC but both of my kids (14 and 11 years old) have purchased their own GC consoles and have them in their rooms, so when some money trickles in they like to go check out the selection. For what it's worth, Movie Trading Company has the best selection around here, but their prices aren't always that great...
    You ever try any of the Half Price Books in the area? I've been seeing some Cube games recently at several locations going for 3.99- 5.99. The Harwood location in Hurst and the one on 377 in Watuaga had quite a few the last time I was there.