Thread: ps3 arcade sticks

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ps3 arcade sticks

Ok guys what arcade stick do you use on your ps3 for fighting games?I just bought madcatz sf4 tournament edition stick and also have the hori real arcade pro 3 which i need to get fixed up.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only fighting stick I have is the one that came bundled with Tekken 6. I haven't used it yet as I don't own a PS3. I bought it because the price on the bundle was too good to pass up and I'll have a PS3 someday.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My main sticks of choice tend to be Hori's but I whip out any of the following depending on my mood:

- Hori VLX
    - HRAP 3
    - HRAP V3 SA
    - Hori SFIV Edition (basically an HRAP 3 with diff graphics)
    - Madcatz TE & Standard Edition
    - Qanba Real Arcade Fightingstick Q4 (3in1)

Hori VLX

Qanba 3in1
    http://www.canadianjoysticks.com/qan...pc-comaptible/

Hori V3 SA
    http://www.amazon.com/Real-Arcade-Pr...0710578&sr=8-2

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I've got a Project Giant Sword custom that works on everything. RJ45 jack mod, you know.

Before that I used a dual nodded TE. I think its the best mid priced stick out there, though I hear the Qanbas are pretty nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use the MadCatz TE (I have the SFIV round 2 and MvC2 ones) and HRAP V3 SA. If I had to pick one it'd be the HRAP V3 SA, the layout is just more comfortable for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fontaine Le Funk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    My main sticks of choice tend to be Hori's but I whip out any of the following depending on my mood:

- Hori VLX
    - HRAP 3
    - HRAP V3 SA
    - Hori SFIV Edition (basically an HRAP 3 with diff graphics)
    - Madcatz TE & Standard Edition
    - Qanba Real Arcade Fightingstick Q4 (3in1)
    I've always thought the Hori VLX looks so sexy, but does it feel sexy too? Do the buttons feel like the Hori EX2 does, like plastic buttons against a plastic case? Or like against a solid wooden arcade machine?
    Spoon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Fontaine Le Funk View Post
    I've always thought the Hori VLX looks so sexy, but does it feel sexy too? Do the buttons feel like the Hori EX2 does, like plastic buttons against a plastic case? Or like against a solid wooden arcade machine?
    The VLX is almost literally the control box off of a Viewlix arcade cab with a USB cable and home button added. If you've ever played on a Street Fighter IV cab, its nearly identical. All Sanwa parts, very durable.

I don't like the button placement (way too close to the stick for me), and its very heavy. That being said, It's great for home use, and is probably the best off the shelf stick you can buy in terms of quality and durability. If you're gonna lay out three hundred bucks for a stick though, go custom: easier to swap parts, a little more portable, and for a little bit extra scratch, it'll work on every console from the PSX on up.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 11-08-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fontaine Le Funk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I don't like the button placement (way too close to the stick for me), and its very heavy. That being said, It's great for home use, and is probably the best off the shelf stick you can buy in terms of quality and durability. If you're gonna lay out three hundred bucks for a stick though, go custom: easier to swap parts, a little more portable, and for a little bit extra scratch, it'll work on every console from the PSX on up.
    This modern arcade/home console split kind of sickens me. On the one hand we have perfect arcade machines, in the wild or in enthusiasts garages (thank Gawd). OR modern iterations of games played with prosthetic controls as a separate system, different for each player! Maybe it's just the times a-chang'in, but...

Imagine a prosthetic limb used in a patronizing manner.

Does anyone dig?
    Spoon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I hear the Qanbas are pretty nice.
    I'm liking the Qanba quite a bit. Better than Hori/Madcatz... dunno, but it's an impressive stick. Even the box that it comes in is quite nice.

I'm also really looking forward to the new Razr sticks though. Looks like it has some really nice touches/features.

Well it feels very close to the experience I get from my japanese arcade machines. The joystick/button panels on those are usually made of metal. Real japanese arcade parts (arguably the best). In comparison to western woody cabs, the solid feel is there but slightly different. However, slap on a bat style stick along with your button brand/style of choice and it's a great stick.

Definitely not a good stick for your lap. However I use it on either a table or laptop stand. Not the most portable stick, but I did see some people use them at the last EVO fighting game tournament.... seemed kinda funny to me to lug around such a monstrosity.

It is one of the more expensive sticks on the market and there are probably cheaper alternatives around that will give you the same utility. I just wanted a pair due to being a stick collector. The $300 MSRP it goes for today is actually "cheap", considering I grabbed the initial japanese versions which ran about $700 each shipped to the US. Had I known they would have released this in the states I would have waited. But considering how many thought the Madcatz TEs at $150 a pop was already pretty expensive, I thought the probability of these coming out in states would be low.

As for the Hori EX2, it's one of Hori's lower end models. Back when there weren't really any Hori sticks for the 360 other than this model, I was using it for shmups. It's an OK stick for the price, but too light and cramped imho. I believe the stick and buttons aren't sanwa/semitsu either, just Hori knock-offs.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 11-09-2011 at 03:16 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

This modern arcade/home console split kind of sickens me. On the one hand we have perfect arcade machines, in the wild or in enthusiasts garages (thank Gawd). OR modern iterations of games played with prosthetic controls as a separate system, different for each player! Maybe it's just the times a-chang'in, but...

Imagine a prosthetic limb used in a patronizing manner.

Does anyone dig?
    I can dig, but my main concern is competitive fighting games, and it's just plain easier to have five X-Boxes for holding a tournament. I love the arcade, but unless you live in Japan, or one of a very few cities in the U.S. or Canada, you're out of luck. Better to carry around an arcade stick than not play at all. I'm sure as hell not lugging five 3S machines around.