Thread: Sony Expected 4th Annual Loss in a Row!!!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony Expected 4th Annual Loss in a Row!!!

Since all the Wii haters jumped on Nintendo for expecting a loss. Sony is looking at it's 4th straight. Oh My Gosh!!! The PS3 is in trouble deep!!!

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/8841...e-annual-loss/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO * replays mgs4 despite its oldness*
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

And unlike the Wii and 3DS, Sony's console and portable actually have good games. Unfortunate they're losing so much money, but they've already projected the losses during the launch of the PS3.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    And unlike the Wii and 3DS, Sony's console and portable actually have good games. Unfortunate they're losing so much money, but they've already projected the losses during the launch of the PS3.
    Both have good games, but Sony did have a hard time establishing what they wanted to do with the PSP and PS3, and in the case of the latter, few developers actually take advantage of the power it has.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And unlike the Wii and 3DS, Sony's console and portable actually have good games.
    Oh shut up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    You know it is a quality website when they substitute "z" for "s".

As for the topic at hand, Sony has been making crap products for years (I have a Sony Camera, and whether or not it takes a good picture indoors seems to depend on how it feels, just as an example). Sony has also been lacking in the video game sector, being squeezed out in the portable end by the Iphone, and on the console side from both Microsoft and Nintendo. Sony has not released an innovative product in several years, and it doesn't really look like they will for a while. The Playstation Vita is basically coming two years too late to capture any part of the smartphone marketshare, and though it will likely have moderate sales, I doubt it will save Sony from a downgrade.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, Sony's business model for the PS3 was to lose substantial amounts of money on the hardware, in hopes that it would eventually make money on the software.

Forgive my numbers as they are not exact, but initially, it was something like $800 worth of materials in their $600 consoles. It was such a great deal that the military was actually buying PS3s and gutting them for their own use. Then of course Sony had to drop their prices, causing even more bleeding. However, the cost of manufacturing electronics continually decreases over time so they might actually be breaking even or making money on consoles at this point.

But the PSP hasn't helped much, and the research and development costs for the Vita have been substantial too. But once again, Sony has accounted for all of this in their projections, with the hopes of being profitable at a later date.

They'll be fine.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

DEATH TO SONY! No seriously: I got the feeling that they've been feeding of the success of the psx ever since, without releasing anything even worth looking at. I wouldn't even notice if they would stop existing tomorrow. Good job at losing money sony - the sooner the better.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    DEATH TO SONY! No seriously: I got the feeling that they've been feeding of the success of the psx ever since, without releasing anything even worth looking at. I wouldn't even notice if they would stop existing tomorrow. Good job at losing money sony - the sooner the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by The FAQ
    Constructive input is ALWAYS welcome here but show yourself to be a " system basher" or "anti-fanboy" and you won't be long for *this* world.
    We can only hope.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

sony is mostly feeling the effects of the drop in the world economy, being a higher end electronics company people are less likely to opt for the higher priced product. people are going into stores and seeing a sony tv side by side with a lesser brand with about the same specs and with a $200 price difference. what do you think they're gonna pick?

when i worked in the electronics dept at target i got the question of why the sony tv was so much more expensive then another brand and 75% of the time my only answer was "cuz it says sony on it".

by the way until recently sony making cameras that only used their memory card instead of a sd card pissed off a lot of people (including me). People were opting not to buy a sony camera cuz they had to tack on a memory card that was twice as expensive then a SD card.

as much as i dislike sony they'll rebound but i dont really think it'll be from their gaming branch...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sony tries to spin so many plates, that it is difficult to focus on making one particular product profitiable.

the playstation brand needs to be spun off into its own company. sony can still be the parent, and grab a take from blu-ray pressing or other technology licensing, but the next generation of hardware would be better served if they kept the primary focus on gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

I'm just as critical with Microsoft and Nintendo, and i even own a PS2, which was a great letdown. It's based on experience.

E
    I have to say though, it's quite strange how personal some people take it, when a company is (harshly) criticized.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 11-08-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SONY DOESNT EVEN HAVE GAYMES!! or a controller! or blu ray like xbux 350 and ps3 uses cartridges still! get with the times! Herp a derp! hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 11-08-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...r-2011-2011-11

this chart is interesting/frightening, sony is staying afloat by making money in financial services? no wonder our economy is screwed.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post

this chart is interesting/frightening, sony is staying afloat by making money in financial services? no wonder our economy is screwed.
    A lot of companies are like that, Best Buy is another one, Car makers (as a whole) as well.

Why do think they all offer store credit cards? Or in the case of car companies, in-house financing?

The product is secondary, it's an item to collect interest on.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There have been death of Nintendo threads here when the company was posting profit... Just saying.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post

Buy an extended warranty on a Sony product? It is like pure profit, and that is probably where a lot of that bar comes from.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    A lot of companies are like that, Best Buy is another one, Car makers (as a whole) as well.

Why do think they all offer store credit cards? Or in the case of car companies, in-house financing?

The product is secondary, it's an item to collect interest on.
    To add to this, no market can sustain itself on consumer products alone. Best Buy has financing and Geek Squad, Gamestop has used games, department stores like Wal-Mart purchase in bulk and sell their own brand goods, car dealerships have in-house mechanics, and so on. Unless you're a small, wholly owned business that caters directly to a specific niche you will not survive in the business world if all you do is sell directly from the manufacturer. The overhead is too much and the profit margin too low. The cost for Target to stock and display a video game or music CD on their rack for a week negates the entirety of the profit they could possibly make from it if you factor in other expenses they have to make. We all know that Sony sells hardware at a loss but hopes to regain it back through software.
    Last edited by soloman; 11-13-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Totally agree.