Thread: Sony or microsoft who will make their next console 1st?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony or microsoft who will make their next console 1st?

Prob microsoft , I think ps3 still has alot of untapped juice,
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the Xbox 360 will need replacement a bit earlier than the Playstation 3. And I suspect Microsoft is in the better financial position of the two to release a next generation console first. Sony's financials I imagine have to serve as an incentive to milk as much out of the PS3 as possible before releasing a replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see the Playstation 4 release in 2014, with the Xbox 720 having 2013 to itself. Or perhaps a spring 2012 release for the 720 and a fall release for the PS4.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-09-2011 at 02:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bet both of them would like to be first just to get a head start on the other. But right now they are both making profits after the first few years of losses so theres not much of an incentive to put out a new console just yet. And Microsoft is selling so well in the US that not only do they not have any reason to launch first but doing so may kill their 360 momentum.

Essentially though, I think both are going to launch during the same year this time so whoever launches a month or so earlier doesn't really matter. Neither system will come out next year but you know both will be ready to launch by 2013. Doesn't mean that they will but they will be capable of it if they choose to.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think they can offer a new generation of hardware at a reasonable cost yet, and may not be able to for sometime... The result of overstretching on this one. They may very well be locked in for a while. That's about as deep as I've thought on it. I still have yet to buy a 360 or PS3. I figure I have plenty of time still.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Sony. Comes out December in Japan. Portable console.

Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know "console" by definition is something that sits on the ground or another surface while in use. It's the exact opposite of a handheld. So... yeah. Vita doesn't count.

But to answer the question, the first producer of the next-gen will be surprise returner NEC, with the TurboGrafx-1024. It'll be a big hit.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

What exactly would be the purpose? There are no new storage mediums to take advantage of, and right now TVs don't go higher than 1080, so what exactly would the new console bring? Everything including menus are in 3D?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    What exactly would be the purpose? There are no new storage mediums to take advantage of, and right now TVs don't go higher than 1080, so what exactly would the new console bring? Everything including menus are in 3D?
    1080p support is far from universal, 60 fps is far from universal, and even 1080p games are not necessarily using the highest possible resolution textures. These may sound like small things, but play recent games on a decent PC and you'll definitely see a difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Yeah but there is no reason to make a universal 1080 system when so few people have 1080 televisions.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The thing can't even be hooked up to a television and isn't even as powerful as Sony's current game console. It's no more a console than the PSP was (Actually, even less so, since at least some PSP models provided support for PS3 controllers and/or tv output).

Stop trying to toot Sony's horn at every chance you get. It's annoying.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-08-2011 at 03:54 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Stop trying to toot Sony's horn at every chance you get. It's annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli
    I'd tell your customers to go do it through their account settings and if it doesn't work there, which it will, then contact Sony and say it's a known issue(which it probably isn't, but yeah.) You shouldn't take a loss on something that is the developers fault and since the codes work.
    Hmm. Looks like I'm definitely sticking up for Sony right here.

The Vita thing was a joke anyways. The question is obvious as to a home console.

The thing can't even be hooked up to a television and isn't even as powerful as Sony's current game console. It's no more a console than the PSP was (Actually, even less so, since at least some PSP models provided support for PS3 controllers and/or tv output).
    The difference between a PSP and PSP Go is the inclusion of Bluetooth, among other things. Bluetooth is what allowed the use of the PS3 controller. Vita also has Bluetooth so it's highly likely the Vita will support the use of a PS3 controller.

The Vita has a single device input(aside from audio.) So did the Go. With the Go that input would be either the power source or the tv out(purchased seperately.) In order to use both the power and tv out you were required to get the PSP Go cradle which then fit into the input. This allowed for two inputs, one for power, one for tv out. The PS Vita will probably be the same or similar. So as of now. We're not sure if it has TV out. Doesn't mean it does or doesn't, and if it doesn't, doesn't mean it never will.

Just incase you weren't aware.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-08-2011 at 10:26 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I remember a few years ago some MS guy (like working for MS not a random MS fanboy on the internet) saying they would announce their next gen system the day after Sony announces theirs, whenever that is.

Granted things change, I mean remember the time that one guy was all "I'll chop off my head if this game's ported to PS2" then it was ported to the PS2?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Granted things change, I mean remember the time that one guy was all "I'll chop off my head if this game's ported to PS2" then it was ported to the PS2?
    Yeah, it was such a shame that Shinji Mikami cut his own head off after Resident Evil 4 was ported to PS2, but still an impressive feat that he managed to do it himself as promised!!!

R.I.P. Shinji!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    Yeah but there is no reason to make a universal 1080 system when so few people have 1080 televisions.
    Maybe if we had universal 1080 systems, we'd buy televisions to go with them.

Anyways, I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo is going to be the first one out of the gates this time around... but I guess we're just ignoring them because the Wii U doesn't really count.

--Zero

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Maybe if we had universal 1080 systems, we'd buy televisions to go with them.

Anyways, I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo is going to be the first one out of the gates this time around... but I guess we're just ignoring them because the Wii U doesn't really count.

--Zero
    No I think we are ignoring them because of the subject of the thread..and the title. *lolnintnedofanboyfailsagainlol* (joking..chill )

I think its more likely Microsoft is going to make the first move in announcing their new console, they had the most to gain in their head start and they seem to be running into more tech issues then Sony is (keep hearing about attempts to extend DVDs). However I think that Sony is going to try to get their new console out of the gate before microsoft does mostly due to how badly that year head start they gave microsoft has bitten them in the ass. All I really is that it'll be interesting, consoles haven't been as neck and neck as Microsoft and Sony in a long while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This would actually be true, if two things were true:

1. HDMI output

2. Bluetooth connection with PS3 Dualshock controller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The difference between a PSP and PSP Go is the inclusion of Bluetooth, among other things. Bluetooth is what allowed the use of the PS3 controller. Vita also has Bluetooth so it's highly likely the Vita will support the use of a PS3 controller.
    They've already said that it won't. And considering that it has been widely confirmed that there won't be any tv/out capabilities (And with the touch screens, I don't see them ever changing that), why would they?

And regardless of what they may or may not do in the upcoming years, the fact remains that this thing is releasing without tv/out support and PS3 controller connectivity.

That said, I like the hardware Sony puts out and the software they publish. I'm looking forward to the Vita. I'm certainly not anti Sony by any means. I just think we need to keep some balance in how we talk about this stuff. All three of these hardware companies put out good hardware and great games appear on their platforms with regularity.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-09-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the economy the way it is I don't see it being in the best interest of either to release a new console any time soon. I see people waiting as long as possible before they shell out $500 on a new console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think MS will probably release a new console before Sony. The 360 has pretty much all of its big gun games released, and there doesn't seem to be much on the horizon as far as exclusives goes? The PS3 still has so many huge exclusive releases on the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I think MS will probably release a new console before Sony. The 360 has pretty much all of its big gun games released, and there doesn't seem to be much on the horizon as far as exclusives goes?
    Halo 4