Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sony announces UMD to Digital License Transfer for PS Vita

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Sony announces UMD to Digital License Transfer for PS Vita

http://kotaku.com/5858586/here-is-so...ps-vita-owners

UMD PASSPORT

While this is not likely to please all of the people all of the time, it is ultimately more than they did for PSP Go owners and shows some amount of effort on their part to make good on a process that was previously discussed (in a conceptual way) and ultimately not followed-through in any fashion.

So, via this service, PSP owners with UMD discs can download software that allows them to register their PSP and register physical UMDs which will permit them to purchase digital versions via the PSN store at rates that are set by game publishers participating in the program.

The current rates appear to be between $1.29 and $31.

Since a large portion of PSP UMD games are available digital on the PSN, I can only assume that these license transfer rates are lower than the existing PSN pricing, and since the price/value of PSP games are in a continual decline, these rates will probably slope downward in the future.

Nothing formally announced for regions outside of Japan.

So, yeah. Not ideal, but at least it's something!

I've personally double-dipped on a few digital versions of UMDs, it'll be nice to get discounts on future instances of that.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 11-11-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This is really shocking and disappointing. I have no problem paying a one time fee for a transfer cable or some other means of attributing ownership to one person and preventing people from just sharing all their UMDs, but charging me a significant fee for each UMD to play games I already own is really pretty ridiculous. What could possibly be the justification for this other than sheer greed?
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 11-11-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    This is really shocking and disappointing. I have no problem paying a one time fee for a transfer cable or some other means of attributing ownership to one person and preventing people from just sharing all their UMDs, but charging me a significant fee for each UMD to play games I already own is really pretty ridiculous. What could possibly be the justification for this other than sheer greed?
    oh you mean like how some companies ( i think capcom is on this) hate the purchase of used games through stores like game stop or through yard sales/thrift stores/goodwills/classified ads/ebay ect ect ect.
    Because they aren't making any money off them. So they wish they could create a game thats a one time ownership game. Meaning once you feel your done with that game. its done might as well throw it in the garbage.
    which is why i am surprised everything hasn't gone to just plain digital downloads by now.

Frigging greedy corporations.
    Last edited by Collector_Gaming; 11-11-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Well,

No pricing has been announced for the US (if they even bring the service here), but if the initial reports are between $1-$30, I'd hardly call anything less than $5 "significant".

$30 seems excessive and I'm sure that that's nowhere near the standard. I can't imagine what games if any would hover around the high end of the existing reported pricing, but I can't imagine that many people will be paying to transfer those anyway.

My outlook is that it's an option that didn't (legally anyway) previously exist in any form prior to this, so, personally speaking - I'll take it if they give it to us.

And let's be honest, no software publishers were ever going to agree to allow us to buy a cable or dongle that would allow for hard copies of their games to be copied all willy-nilly. Games aren't encoded with anything that makes one copy unique to any other, so rampant abuse of the system would take place through sharing and borrowing.

A "toll" charge in the process should have been expected. That or some means/manner to "surrender" the physical copy of the UMD to an official source, which should be a wholly unappealing concept to collectors.

Again, there's no way that they're going to make everybody happy with this, but - if it means I can transfer my favorites from UMD for less than what I would have to pay for just buying the digital versions outright, I'll take it.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 11-11-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

This sucks, but its the only way for Sony to do it without damaging developer and publisher relations. I'd bet that the fee is 25% less than the cost of a digital copy on PSN or something similar.

Whatevs. Welcome to capitalism.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, for me this is excellent news because this means there'll be heaps of UMD's on the second hand market soon

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Again, there's no way that they're going to make everybody happy with this, but - if it means I can transfer my favorites from UMD for less than what I would have to pay for just buying the digital versions outright, I'll take it.
    Are you on drugs?

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Charging you money to play something you already own? Total dick move.

Can't wait until someone figures out a way to hack it and let people do this exact same thing for free. And I don't even plan on getting a Vita at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There is a difference between paying a toll and being ridiculous. If it's say, a $1.29 to transfer each game, hell so be it. You just sell off your real copy and get the money back after the transfer. 20 or so PSP games at $1 (or so) each would be the same as having had to buy the Transfer cable for the 360. Make it a bandwidth fee, whatever.

Can you imagine the future this is opening up? I can just see the Xbox Next being backwards compatible with all 360 games, you just have to pay 400 MS Points to download the 'digital version' (i.e. patch) to make it work.

Granted, this is all nonsense, add you can just play them on the PSP still, but geez.

This is only going to open up the hackers world even more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I woudnt mind if it was something like a dollar charge , sure its a dick move to charge but i think if it were free people would totally abuse the hell out of it. Its one thing to own something but digital , it would be like renting pc games that didnt require cd and never paying full retail ever.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Or, I could just keep my PSP and play the UMDs on that instead.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

The current rates appear to be between $1.29 and $31.
    Whoever charges $31 is a fucking douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Or, I could just keep my PSP and play the UMDs on that instead.
    And have all the other kids laugh at you because you're using a PSP and not the Vita?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Too bad it probably only applies to UMD releases already digitally available via PSN. I'd love to transfer something like Outrun Coast 2 Coast to put on the Vita (Never could properly enjoy that one with the PSP's nub).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Are you on drugs?
    I'll ignore your unwarranted personal insult this one time and pose the question:

How is a discounted price for a digital version of owned, registered software a bad thing?

We were NEVER promised any legal means by which we could transfer PSP UMDs from physical to digital at the time that we purchased them.

Without this program people would otherwise pay full price if they want to buy the game again on their Vita.

I can't think of a single other company that has ever offered anything of the sort.

And I damn well know that a vast majority of people in this community have double, triple and quadruple-dipped on digital releases in the past.

I own physical copies of practically all of the software that I've downloaded on Wii Virtual Console, yet I didn't have any option to register them on my computer and get them for less than what their retail price was.

I expect people to generally be myopic about this, but throwing your hands up and calling this "lame, etc." is completely ignoring the financial/legal labyrinthine complexities involved in making something like this happen.

It could never be as simple as "I own this game, give me a digital version for free!".

I'm not saying that it's the greatest thing ever or the most ideal scenario, but it's an option plain and simple. I'll take an option where I can make a choice over no option whatsoever any day.

But, that's just me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Like coffee creamer and orange juice.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the skinny on this from my perspective, with no insults thrown in free of charge. "IF" they were going to charge $1.00 fee per game that you own, that might work and it wouldn't be a huge deal. The problem is that we all know that this isn't going to happen. The problem is that game companies are trying to wring every cent they can out of consumers for everything they can get. I can see most games being at least $5.00 for them and "Special Editions" or the like going much higher, especially if it's an RPG. This is all speculation at this point anyway. Who knows if this will even happen here in the US anyway?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

How is a discounted price for a digital version of owned, registered software a bad thing?

I expect people to generally be myopic about this, but throwing your hands up and calling this "lame, etc." is completely ignoring the financial/legal labyrinthine complexities involved in making something like this happen.

It could never be as simple as "I own this game, give me a digital version for free!".
    Well, it's certainly nothing to celebrate. It's not like consumers demanded that the Vita not come with a UMD drive. They are already charging $250 or more for the thing and requiring that you buy a proprietary and expensive memory card and this is just another means of gouging us.

There are not massive legal or financial complexities standing in the way of making this happen. If Sony was serious about doing something for their loyal customers, they could simply have established a registration program before the PSP Go was released where you registered your games on-line or via postcard and then you are entitled to download the digital version either free or for a very nominal amount (a buck or two to cover bandwidth/server space to get you the digital version). Many other media companies bundle digital and physical media all the time including vinyl albums that come with a free digital download of the full album, DVD/Blu Ray/Digital bundles, etc...It's simply a matter of getting those rights from the developer and publisher which is done every single day.

Instead, they are viewing this as another opportunity to charge almost full price for the same thing we already paid full price to purchase once before. The point is, this is of zero benefit to consumers and it really is just another example of an old line company holding on to outdated ways of doing business just like they did as the music industry collapsed. It's sad, but as much as I hate to admit it, we may actually be nearing the end of the console and dedicated handheld business if Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft keep focusing on the same outdated gimmicks to squeeze every penny from consumers. Apple, Google and other more nimble competitors will continue swooping in and literally drive them from the market.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

How is a discounted price for a digital version of owned, registered software a bad thing
    Can I have some of your money? You apparently have too much of it to be ok with this.

Why yes, I would love to rebuy something to use it on your new system. What a brilliant idea that no one has ever done before. Man, why didn't Nintendo think of that. Oh, that's right. They didn't need to. We didn't need an option. The GBC/GBA/DS/3DS already had me covered.

The VC is different and not part of this discussion. We're talking old system/new system, not much older system/new system where games are scarce on a mainstream level. As the Wii, for most of its lifecycle, could play Cube games out of the box.

Sony wants to offer me downloads of my UMDs at the cost of bandwidth/site maintenance, fine. Anything more, eat my shit.
    Last edited by portnoyd; 11-11-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

At the very least its a method, probably one I won't use for every game I own but I like having the option at least. I just hope this somehow comes to the states.

siliconera says hi:
    Here’s a list of prices for various titles announced by SCE. Please note this is not the complete list of games that will be available for the UMD Passport program.

Guilty Gear Judgment – 500 yen
    Carnage Heart EXA – 400 yen
    Pachipara Slot – Pachislot Sea Story in Okinawa - 1,000 yen
    Akiba’s Trip – 1,000 yen
    Tale of the Lost Promise – 1,000 yen
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable – 1,500 yen
    Metal Slug Complete – 500 yen
    Higurashi Daybreak – 500 yen
    Atelier Viola – 1,000 yen
    Street Supremacy (Tokyo Xtreme Racer) – 1,000 yen
    Dynasty Warriors Portable – 500 yen
    Dead or Alive Paradise – 1,000 yen
    Colin McRae: Dirt 2 – 1,000 yen
    Ever 17 ~ the out of infinity ~ 1,000 yen
    Nanatama: Chronicle of Dungeon Maker – 500 yen
    Silver Star Shogi Portable – 1,000 yen
    Chameleon – 500 yen
    Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 – 500 yen
    Patapon 3 – 1,000 yen
    Gran Turismo – 1,000 yen
    Nano Diver – 1,000 yen
    Himehibi Princess Days Portable – 740 yen
    Sacrifice of the Inescapable Room – 1,000 yen
    The Promise I Made Over this Blue Sky: Paradise in the Palm of Your Hand – 100 yen
    Everyone’s Reading: Masterpieces & Detective Stories & Ghost Stories – 500 yen
    Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days – 500 yen
    Makai Kingdom Portable – 1,000 yen
    The Convini Portable – 1,000 yen
    Evangelion: Battle Orchestra Portable – 1,000 yen
    Kanon – 1,000 yen
    Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl – 500 yen
    Memories Off – 500 yen
    Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands – 1,000 yen
    Onore no Shizuru Michi wo Yuke – Free
    Prince of Persia: Sands of Oblivion – 1,000 yen
    The vast majority of these titles fall within the 500yen (6.50) and 1000yet(13.00) which depending on the title for me is completely worth it. I was aftaid that it was going to be some trad in deal with gamestop but if I can keep the physical copy of my games and a significant discount on the PSN costs that I am pretty ok with this system and I don't know why anyone would be butt hurt over it, after Sony's talks over a previous UMD voucher system fell through. Oh and hate the publishers for the pricing not Sony. This is dictated by the individual publishers and not Sony Corporate on what games are what price so take that for what you will.
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 11-11-2011 at 07:28 PM.