Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sony announces UMD to Digital License Transfer for PS Vita

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The transfer fee above 1-2 monetary units... No thanks.
    The transfer free... There it's obvious why that won't happen.
    "Hey dude, can I borrow your PSP stuff for the weekend?"
    Wash... Repeat...

Charging $5+ to transfer isn't ethically "bad" either, it's just insulting, bad.

Nintendo is a different case. Gamecube works on Wii (up to recently - MiniWii: Successor to NES-Topper and SNES2). DS works on 3DS. That's full BC. VC is a cherry and optional. Going back 2 steps (or more), even though that's all Sony has at this time... Meh. It adds little value to a PS3 over a PS2. The PS2 is arguably still a better platform because you have the entire PS1/2 library at your disposal for $30-$80 entry fee. Vita can't go BC back one, let alone two. UMD was error, and not forward thinking. Sony will still take the UMD hit through the Vita cycle. Just this time, a glancing blow.

Also remember, Sony was responsible for consumer expectation of BC... They're getting better, but they're still rather schizo and narcissistic.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 11-13-2011 at 11:50 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    No, you've failed to form a correct analogy.

It's far closer to someone being upset that they'd have to pay $2.99 to download a 20 year old game off Steam that they own on a floppy disk but can't play since their new computer lacks a disk drive.

The Playstation Vita lacks a UMD drive. If it had a UMD drive and you still had to pay to be able to play your UMD's, I'd be all behind you.
    Exactly.

Again, this comes down to the "license" concept. I'd like to reiterate that Sony cannot legally offer a license to play previously purchased games published by a third party on a new device. That's up to the publishers. Remember that Sony charges publishers for bandwidth on PSN, and that third parties felt burned in regards to PSP software sales.

And again, you already own a PSP if you're that worried about playing UMD games on the vita.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 11-14-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The games sold as digital downloads are not the same format as what's on the UMDs? I'm thinking of Papaton 2, this game was sold at retail as both a UMD and as a download code. If I'm understanding this new system correctly, if you purchased the game as a download code you can still use it on your new system but if you bought the UMD instead you have to pay more money to download it. Is that basically how this system is working?
    Sony had to pay licensing fees to sell the physical copy. They have to pay licensing fees to sell the digital copy. Technically, they're two entirely different forms of media. The PSP can play both UMD PSP games and digital PSP games while the Vita can only play digital PSP games. All previous purchased digital PSP games can be played on the Vita. This is exactly the same as the Wii, as all games on the Virtual Console also have to be relicensed before they can be sold.

But like someone else and I said previously. If you want to digital copies for "free," in a sense. Use the license transfer, purchase the games on the PSN. Put your PSP games on Ebay, come out richer than you were and still obtain the rights to all games except in digital form. What's the problem there?

Either keep the games in UMD form or swap them out for digital form. Don't expect both unless you want to pay money. Legally, the only way you'll get both a physical format and digital format with anything else in this world is to, usually, pay more than once.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-14-2011 at 01:07 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That UMD drive was our last hope.
    No, there is another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a lack of Derp and Cool Story Bro images in this thread, maybe the smell of massive nerd ass crack scared everyone away...

And I think Gameguy's summing up of the "monkey island" thing is pretty much perfect.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

So, yeah, I'm still trying to follow the logic of ownership/entitlement going on in here ...

... forget about all my LP records, books on cassette and NES Cartridges, what about all the PC CD ROM games that I own?

Why do I have to pay to buy those again on Good Old Games and/or Steam?
    Why????

Why can't I have those for free???

Same format game, same software code, same operating system ... why are GOG and Steam such beloved, popular and successful software delivery platforms if they're charging users for software that they already own with NO option to download what you already own for free?

There's no reason why they can't make some kind of program that allows you to pop your physical media in your computer's disc drive and verify that you're an honest-to-goodness owner.

Shouldn't there be some type of similar outrage over publishers not giving consumers any option to prove that they own the PC games that they're selling on GOG/Steam?

I have the discs, hell, I even still have the mail-in warranty cards! (Can I send those in somewhere as proof of purchase?)
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

*deleted*

You people keep squabbling amongst yourselves. Eff this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They used a standard media [5.25/3.5 floppy, CD/DVD etc.], not a proprietary one. Big difference. Pull vs push.

It's their fault it's a mess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

As someone who has no sense of entitlement for free games on a new system, the option to repurchase games I've already purchased on different media for a previous system doesn't bother me. I probably won't use the option, but it's fine that it's there. My PSP will continue to play UMDs. I'm not sure when we started expecting that companies had to provide backwards compatibility, or when it became evil if they don't.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

What Icarus said.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Thread over.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What the hell has this forum turned into?
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Daycare for people too young to be allowed on the internet by themselves, apparently.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    They used a standard media [5.25/3.5 floppy, CD/DVD etc.], not a proprietary one. Big difference. Pull vs push.

Well,

I'm honestly at the point now where I'm JUST trying to distill the core of the logic being batted around by detractors.

If I'm somehow wrong in being okay with this program because software owners are entitled to the right to free data transfer, we've all either accepted, participated in or have been tolerant of the practice of buying the same thing more than once in the past and present on other platforms, and if there has been any outrage it has been silent and private.

If we're going to call out this program as an affront to our consumer rights, I'm lacking in my understanding of at what point we as software owners accept that our "right/entitlement" has somehow passed or expired and when it is okay to pay for the same thing that we've already paid for.

Is this only related to consoles/portables?

Is it dependent on the format of the original media (media that would otherwise have a finite lifespan)?

Do these standards not apply to PCs/Macs because their "generational" standards/compatibility are more liquid than consoles?

For the sake of those of us who are struggling to understand the positions of outrage, somebody from that camp needs to come up with a set of rules as to:

When it is acceptable for a company to ask that we buy largely unaltered software code again in a digital format if we already own that software on physical media?

When is it not acceptable?

When it is acceptable, what price is acceptable?

because all I see currently is what G-Boobie hammered home a few pages back, hypocrisy

... ie it's not okay for Sony to do this, but ... it was okay with the myriad of media formats of the past, or it is okay on console/portable x,y,z, or based on this amount of software scarcity, or on this,that or the other "industry standard"., etc. etc.

I'm pretty much lost at this point as to why it's a terrible thing that Sony and 3rd party developers are doing with this.

I'm well aware that at this point there won't be anybody swayed from their deeply entrenched positions, some of us are okay with this and some of us are outraged - BUT, in the interest of salvaging some manner of non-contentious debate in this thread, maybe we can all come to some middle-ground consensus on when this kind of practice is acceptable from a business standpoint.

A place where bullying, dog-piling and the public shaming of those who have an opinion that isn't in-line with all the cool kids doesn't work quite as well as it used to.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 11-14-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    A place where bullying, dog-piling and the public shaming of those who have an opinion that isn't in-line with all the cool kids doesn't work quite as well as it used to.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I totally agree here, but this board has turned into GameFaqs caliber quite quickly. This thread is a prime example.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I totally agree here, but this board has turned into GameFaqs caliber quite quickly. This thread is a prime example.
    YEAAAAH, WELLLLL.

Some discussions/debates simply can't get wrapped up in two pages of discussion, a few hurtful personal insults and a few clever image links.

I don't know if that was the way of the past, but these days, if people feel unconvinced of anything in the course of any debate and they are willing to continue to participate in the ongoing/rousing discussion, I'm all for it.

The discussion may go around in circles for a while, and the line of civility may get crossed a few times within reason but if we come away at some point with some level of enlightenment or understanding about things that we didn't previously, I think it's worth it.

As much as some people like to treat them like a game ... nobody ever "wins" these things. But, personally, I often come out with a better understanding of the perspective of the other side of the debate, which I also think is worth it.

Even if I don't agree with the other side, I'm interested to know what helps form their logic.

Funny, I thought some of yous guys were supposed to be all rough-and-tumble, and here everybody is getting completely bent out of shape because, WHAT - it's a discussion about Sony and their ever-unpopular business decisions? Or, is it because people on the other side of the debate can't shut me down/shut me up with some kind of "airtight" thread-ending final argument?

I know that the internets are serious business and all, but either one of those is a silly reason to get frustrated over.

If the admins think that this has somehow ventured into some area that's damaging to the entirety of the community or the site, they can lock it down. Their call.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

<Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that the internets are serious business and all, but either one of those is a silly reason to get frustrated over.

HOW DAR U N0T plae XBAWKS ur a bad person!1
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

I'm still pissed I had to replace my Kraftwerk 8-tracks with CD's.

I mean they wouldn't even EXCHANGE the fuckin' things...

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    I'm still pissed I had to replace my Kraftwerk 8-tracks with CD's.

I mean they wouldn't even EXCHANGE the fuckin' things...

Tell me about it. I wasn't given the option to transfer my licence of "Popeye" starring Robin Williams from CED to LaserDisc. Thanks to this thread I am starting to feel like I was ripped off. I DEMAND REPARATIONS!!!1!

Seriously, Frankie_Says_Relax is the voice of reason in this thread. Sure, Sony could have probably handled this more gracefully, but no one is being wronged here. No one is having their games taken away, you are just being minorly inconvenienced by having to keep your PSP so you can play your PSP game.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."