Thread: Game Gear questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Viraneth

Default Game Gear questions

I have a friend, and she owns a Game Gear but only like one game. I want to get her some games for the Game Gear, but I don't know which ones to get (I was never a huge Sega person, I only got a Dreamcast after Gamestop was selling them for $10 each in like 2003/2004). Which are some good games for the Game Gear? And is there a rechargeable battery kit for the Game Gear? Thanks for the help guys!
    For the glory of the Lion, and for the Emperor!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Here's a classic thread to get you started:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11969

Insert Coin (Level 0) SonicBoom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonicsalt99 (PS, I'm Not on a lot)
    PSN
    Sonicsalt99

The Mega Man game gears, Sonic Game Gears, And Shonobi.
    Also try beavis and butthead
    I Need a life....Wait! I DO HAVE ONE! CLASSIC GAMES ARE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Streets of rage 1 and 2 are good

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Sorry, doublepost due to 500 server error
    Last edited by BlastProcessing402; 11-12-2011 at 03:31 PM.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You might also consider getting her a Master Gear converter and some SMS games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Sonic platformers (not so much Blast, but the other ones) for sure. 1, 2 (they're not Genesis ports), Chaos, and Triple Trouble are all well worth it, and Tails Adventure is unique and quite good. Apart from that... Shinobi's good (both of them), certainly. The GG has a decent library really, if not great, particularly if you like 8-bit handheld (often licensed) platformers, because it has a whole lot of them. I like the Aladdin game as well, for licensed platformers (it's new, not a Genesis port). For other platformers, I definitely like Psychic World. Other genres... hmm. Crystal Warriors is a strategy game, and it's really good... it's not too complex, but a lot of fun. There are also two (three in Japanese) Shining Force games, but the two US-released ones also have a superior, upgraded port/collection on Sega CD... Crystal Warriors doesn't.

As for the other Sonic games (not the five standard platformers and the quite good Tails Adventure), I kind of like Spinball, but Labyrinth really isn't very good at all. The Drift games are sort of in between.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool

Ax Battler Legend of Golden Axe!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viraneth View Post
    And is there a rechargeable battery kit for the Game Gear?
    There were two types of rechargeable batteries for the Game Gear that I know of, but they most likely won't work anymore because of their age. You can use rechargeable AA batteries, the modern ones will probably last longer than the official battery packs ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    There are also two (three in Japanese) Shining Force games, but the two US-released ones also have a superior, upgraded port/collection on Sega CD... Crystal Warriors doesn't.
    Only one Shining Force game was released in North America on the Game Gear, with Shining Force CD two of the Game Gear titles were released in North America(one title previously released in North America on the Game Gear). Just wanted to point this out so he won't be searching for a Game Gear game that doesn't exist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    There were two types of rechargeable batteries for the Game Gear that I know of, but they most likely won't work anymore because of their age. You can use rechargeable AA batteries, the modern ones will probably last longer than the official battery packs ever did.
    Gameguy speaks the truth.

I did a test last year with some of the Energizer 2500 mAh NiMH batteries and I got just over 5 hours out of my Game Gear before it died!!!

Not only is that longer than any battery pack would give you, but it also doesn't add any bulk to the system like most of the packs did and the charger that I have charges the batteries in 15 minutes. Much quicker than any of the battery packs charged.

Just get some 2500 mAh NiMH batteries and a charger and then focus on the games mentioned above. So far all of the suggestions are excellent. Although I thought Sonic 2 on the GG was crap. It was insanely hard and not near as good as Sonic 1, Chaos and Triple Trouble.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Modifying the console, while you have it apart to replace those leaking caps is also the key. Replace the standard backlight with one from a NDSi (NDSLite is too small), will net longer battery life. A standard GG at half-ish volume will draw about 250mA+, a GG with NDSi backlight will draw about 150mA+. All you need for this is the NDSi backlight removed from a NDSi screen (top or bottom, though bottom fits better) and a step up voltage converter, say a LM2577 prefabbed board off ebay. You need the voltage converter as the backlight needs 15v to work.
    Last edited by omp!; 11-13-2011 at 04:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

GG games actually can tell apart English models from Japanese. Puyo Puyo 1 played in ENG mode contains a translation never released in the west. While Street of Rage 1/2 will become Bare Knuckle in JPN mode, much like on Genesis. Check it out using an emulator.
    Last edited by theclaw; 11-13-2011 at 04:32 AM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Bubble Bobble, plain and simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ristar

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Fatal Fury Special is a remarkable fighter for being so constricted by the controls. Believe it or not, Power Rangers The Movie is well balanced and speedy too.

Cool Spot is another recommendation I haven't seen yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    Fatal Fury Special is a remarkable fighter for being so constricted by the controls.
    Agreed - when I originally owned by first game gear years ago, I played fatal fury special all the time. Loved it.

I was disappointed by the other ports (SNES / Sega CD) - the game gear one is pure awesome.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

The Space Invaders game is really good. I generally think GG is a pretty poor system in comparison to the Game Boy, it can be hard fining games that are playable for a long time.

Might wanna check out Shining Force, its just like the 1st Shining Force for genesis but simplified a bit (if I remember correctly)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bubble Bobble especially if she likes Puzzle games. A little more pricey than other Game Gear games but Addicting as hell! =)
    I love ALL Video Games with all my heart and soul

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Gameguy speaks the truth.

I did a test last year with some of the Energizer 2500 mAh NiMH batteries and I got just over 5 hours out of my Game Gear before it died!!!

Not only is that longer than any battery pack would give you, but it also doesn't add any bulk to the system like most of the packs did and the charger that I have charges the batteries in 15 minutes. Much quicker than any of the battery packs charged.

Just get some 2500 mAh NiMH batteries and a charger and then focus on the games mentioned above. So far all of the suggestions are excellent.
    I just always use mine with an AC adapter.

Although I thought Sonic 2 on the GG was crap. It was insanely hard and not near as good as Sonic 1, Chaos and Triple Trouble.
    Yeah, that's true -- Sonic 2 is by far the worst of the first four Sonic games. It's too bad that it's the most common and was a packin, because it gives a bad first impression... the other three there are much better games.

Sonic 2 is okay in its European Master System release, but we only got it on GG, which is too bad. The game really wasn't competently downported.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy
    Only one Shining Force game was released in North America on the Game Gear, with Shining Force CD two of the Game Gear titles were released in North America(one title previously released in North America on the Game Gear). Just wanted to point this out so he won't be searching for a Game Gear game that doesn't exist.
    You're right, that's true. Sega really didn't bother releasing many RPGs or strategy games outside of Japan on the GG... we're really lucky to have gotten Crystal Warriors, because apart from that about all they released was Defenders of Oasis, Shining Force (it's the second of the three that got a US GG release), and that's about it really I think, while in Japan they had a whole lot more RPGs and strategy games -- two more Shining Force games, a semi-sequel to Crystal Warriors called Royal Stone, Phantasy Star Gaiden (starring Alys from PS1), Rayearth, etc etc. Of course Sega passed on many of its major-console RPGs too, but there some did get picked up by other publishers, in some cases; that didn't happen with any of the GG ones.

And so, yeah, the US GG library is very heavy on the platformers. I like platformers a lot so that's okay, though, and it is true that the original GB's library was fairly similar, with lots and lots of platformers, and very few rpgs or strategy games (after Pokemon, the GBC and beyond would see lots of such games, but before that there weren't at all).

Anyway, I already said a bunch of the games I have and like for GG, but how about a list. Sonic 1, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic Spinball, Psychic World, Aladdin, NBA Jam, Bust-A-Move, Columns, Super Columns, The Lucky Dime Caper Starring Donald Duck. The other Mickey and Donald games are also pretty good, such as the three "Illusion" games. Star Wars for GG is alright, it's a port of the NES/GB/etc. game, but redesigned -- the Tatooine overworld part is gone, and instead Tatooine is a linear sequence of levels, some of which are new (some desert levels for example). Also, a new level is added in the beginning where you play as Leia on the Tantive IV. Once you reach the midpoint the game basically is the same as the other versions though. I also already mentioned the great GG Shinobi games. The Lion King... it's hard (high challenge level, no continues at all unless you win them in minigames...), but the levels are somewhat different from the other versions, so while it's clearly based on the SNES/Genesis game it isn't a port. It has amazing graphics too. Still though, it's just SO hard that I don't know if it's worth it. Also, the music's not so great; the GB version's music is definitely better.

Oh, those three puzzle games I listed there are all fantastic, but there are newer versions of BAM and Columns on newer handhelds... still, they are very good versions. The only thing missing is saving for your scores (though BAM does have passwords for the puzzle mode).

Oh, one other thing I have are some racing games, but they're all those behind-the-car 8-bit ones. I like topdown racers better; Micro Machines for the GG would be one to get for sure... as for the ones I have though, Monaco GP is okay but VERY simplistic; Formula One isn't that good; and Road Rash is mediocre.

For anyone buying imports, two of the best GG games are also among the most expensive -- that is, the two GG Aleste games. The first one is Japan only, the second Japan and Europe (titled GG Aleste 2 in Japan, and Power Strike II in Europe), and both are absolutely amazing, among the best handheld shmups of the '90s. It's too bad they're both import only and expensive.