Thread: hdmi cable recommendations?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hdmi cable recommendations?

I recently bought a hdmi cable off amazon for like $4. on one tv it works fine (RCA), but on my other tvs (westinghouse and dynex), it blinks a lot and makes it really unplayable. can anyone recommend a cheap cable that should work? thanks

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

The current HDMI standard is 1.4 and has some ethernet elements in it for carrying some additional types of data/signal integral to 3D pictures and "smart" TVs with web feeds.

As most know, HDMI is a locked-down digital signal, so gold plating and the like won't improve picture quality.

When I recently upgraded the firmware on my Bravia, there was a recommendation that I use 1.3 standard cables or higher.

The $4 cable you bought may have been an older standard, which should work fine for most things and will do all the basics required of an HDMI cable, 1080p w/ audio signal, etc.

However, the cable itself could have some minor manufacture defect that connects fine physically with one set and not so much with the others, OR, the sets that it's flaky with are looking for something specific to a standard above what you currently have and you're getting intermittent drop-out based on that.

I've heard the equivalent of digital copyright protection/encryption that all HD signal carries can cause problems with signal retention.

And, there's always the chance that Westinghouse and Dynex TVs have some on-board setting like motion-flow or "cinemotion" on that is causing the issue ... look for "GAME MODE" or something equivalent on the HDMI settings for those TVs, those modes typically work to compensate for things like lag. Might fix your problem.

And if you find that you do need the better cables (you very well may not) Prices on the 1.3 and above standard cables have normalized, and you should be able to get those for below $10 at most reputable online sources.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 11-14-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Monoprice. I haven't bought HDMI from them, but they have a good reputation and I did buy a different cable there, and it seemed to be of extremely high quality, even better than most first party cables I've had.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Monoprice. I haven't bought HDMI from them, but they have a good reputation and I did buy a different cable there, and it seemed to be of extremely high quality, even better than most first party cables I've had.
    MONOPRICE.com

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

http://tinyurl.com/7xq2eno
    Sorted by rating.
    $7 - 6' - 1.3 standard - 5-star rating - free shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812816002

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut